Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Not yet....

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
BP-B2

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Absolutely. No ladders, no sprinkler repairs, less food needed I’m sure there’s more.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by High_Noon
Originally Posted by CCCC
70 not much at all, but at about 77 some stuff started to act up/break down - two different serious events in a three or four year span. The 80s much more telling. Every day is a gift - and a challenge to prioritize, keep going at a decent rate and accomplish as many goals as possible. We all differ - only God does not.

Paul, I admire your outlook and I wish Dad had your same perspective. He's 83 and very difficult to be around. He's a mean SOB and treats Mom terribly. He's ready to die and he's taking it out on those that are closest to him. Won't take his meds (pancreatic cancer & diabetes), stands in front of the open 'fridge eating chocolate 7 or 8 times a day and his blood sugar is sky high. I'm leaving Big D tomorrow to head back to EP for a while and Mom had a special steak dinner planned for us. Dad got into it with my younger brother and said some really hurtful things to him. Brother fought back and it was terrible - he left with my nephew and refused to break bread with Dad. I guess Dad's not interested in seeing his granddaughter again. Mom tries and tries to help him and he's just a mean bastard to everyone - especially her. Hollering every night. Lots of cussing as well. Nothing to be done about it either.

You would think that someone in his position whose time is very limited would make an effort to get closer to his family and make the most of whatever time he has left. Nope. Not him.

The good news is that I have 2 meatloaf sammiches in the cooler ready for the road.

Your dad is going thru loss of control in and of his life, may be start of ALS,, not for me to analyze but that is the way my MIL turned a lot of times it seams to be out of their control,, try to get him accessed it may expline a whole lot of things..

hope this helps

Norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
lots of your comments aches ,pains, lack of energy fill the narrative, 60s cancer another cancer 2 new knees, heart attack ect. But ya got to stay active slacking off too much getting lazy are death sentences. At 76 I figure that i have somewhere from 2 seconds to 26 years to impact my little world .
Mom lived to 100 dad 73 but a lot of my ancestors in the 15-1600 lived into their 70s so the gens ,DNA are in my favor just have to get rid of the siatic pain { in my azz}

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
WOW does my heart good to hear the stories of you fells'a elk and mulie hunting in the mountains! I've been deeply regretting my choices throughout my life. I was offered a position guiding fishing trips and rebuilding cabins at a lodge in NW Ontario when I was young but I compared the pay to what I could make at home and it didn't seem worth it. regret it for a long time. Tried to make it in Alaska back in the 80's but once folks there found out you weren't born and raised there they refused to give ya a shot at working. Came back to SE Michigan where the auto industry was still booming and went to work building homes for the auto workers and all the others that were doing well working in or supplying goodies to the auto industry.

Before Alaska I tried to get out again in Montana. Only thing I could find there was thinning contracts for uncle sam around Noxon. Was awesome leaving the shack I stayed in at 4 am and driving 1 to 2 hours up those back mountain two tracks to get to where the contracts were! A traffic jam there was a small herd of elk blocking the road and looking at ya like "what the hell are you doing here"! Loved it. But again money got in the way. You had to bid those contracts low or you wouldn't get em. $20 an acre for thinning on 50 to 60 degree slopes 6 to 10,000 feet up. So if ya cleared an acre a day you made $20 bucks. I quickly realized I wasn't going to make enough to make it thru the winter, so I took off for Whitefish were a friend was staying. There was some work there but again since I wasn't born there I couldn't get a shot at anything. SO again I made my way back to Michigan.

There's lots of woods, rivers, lakes and streams here but It ain't like the mountainous areas of this once great country. I'm 69 now and won't make it to 70 (thank God). I'm almost bed ridden now and decided years ago I wasn't putting family thru that. Years of laying in bed while the Medical Money Machine sucked every last penny out of us ain't gonna happen! I'll hopefully make one last hobble in the woods soon, find a nice view and tree to sit against, thank the Lord for the time I had and wait! Hope it ain't long! Making 70 just ain't in the cards!

Proper prior practice prevents piss poor performance!
IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Not as strong, agile, or quick as I used to be.
And don't bounce worth a crap - in fact, I bounce just like crap - FLOP!!!
My bronc riding days are done, and I'm looking for a shorter horse. laugh
Still can do pretty much what I want - but stay back from rimrocks a bit, now - balance isn't that great.
Leaving the house to go build some more corral fence later this morning, though.
(Pipe, guardrail, and even concrete have gotten heavier by 70, though smile )

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
At 72, I can do anything I did at 20, it just takes me twice as long.
The old adage. "Takes me all night long to do what I used to do all night long!" has taken on a whole new meaning.

Just had a checkup yesterday. Doc says I'm in pretty good shape for the shape I'm in! LOL!
Had I avoided all the broken bones, I believe I would probably be in "good" shape!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Almost 71. Have pretty good genetics. Family members that didn’t get too fat, smoke, or drink themselves to death lived a long time. I lost a bunch of weight, never smoked, and drink moderately. Being careful to avoid accidents and other body-busting activities. Mostly feel pretty good aside from some aches and pains. Keeping active mentally, and with stuff my body can still do without too much strain. Eating really well: lots of meat and veggies, eggs and cheese, seafood. Zero bread now, and very limited high-carb vegetables. No fast food.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by High_Noon
70 not much at all, but at about 77 some stuff started to act up/break down - two different serious events in a three or four year span. The 80s much more telling. Every day is a gift - and a challenge to prioritize, keep going at a decent rate and accomplish as many goals as possible. We all differ - only God does not.

Paul, I admire your outlook and I wish Dad had your same perspective. He's 83 and very difficult to be around. He's a mean SOB and treats Mom terribly. He's ready to die and he's taking it out on those that are closest to him. Won't take his meds (pancreatic cancer & diabetes), stands in front of the open 'fridge eating chocolate 7 or 8 times a day and his blood sugar is sky high. I'm leaving Big D tomorrow to head back to EP for a while and Mom had a special steak dinner planned for us. Dad got into it with my younger brother and said some really hurtful things to him. Brother fought back and it was terrible - he left with my nephew and refused to break bread with Dad. I guess Dad's not interested in seeing his granddaughter again. Mom tries and tries to help him and he's just a mean bastard to everyone - especially her. Hollering every night. Lots of cussing as well. Nothing to be done about it either.

You would think that someone in his position whose time is very limited would make an effort to get closer to his family and make the most of whatever time he has left. Nope. Not him.

The good news is that I have 2 meatloaf sammiches in the cooler ready for the road.

Dementia of some form. That description sounds very similar to people close to me that have dementia.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gunswizard
When I turned 68 my balance/equilibrium went to h ell, can't walk in the woods without constant fear of falling. - - - - - May not be able to get back to baseline but any improvement will be welcome.
This - loss of balance may be the greatest factor leading to various aspects of physical decline - along with poor nutrition. One medical bout involved a prolonged course of massive med dosage - that disintegrated excellent muscle mass that had been maintained for 50 years, and significantly affected balance capability. That combination loss is difficult to regain, but worth the effort. The muscle has been easier to rebuild than the equilibrium, but progress is possible.

My loving family has been so helpful, but also came up with onerous cautions and rules - do not try to lift more than "X", do not get on a ladder, do not go out into the forest alone, sell all of the heavy trucks (I did do that). But, concentration and effort have steadily increased lifting more than X+, although body position limits some tasks (core strength). Now I can/do climb ladders, but handling weight while up there can be tricky - mostly the balance issue.

I once again roam out into the forest/high desert and went hunting alone this Fall. Now for certain in some situations, going up or down a slope - especially one covered with rocks or pebbles - can concentrate the mind almost to the point of bodily inaction. Inexorable gravity seems to make downhill more challenging than up. Yes - two falls - one uphill and one down - the latter more serious. A sad part is that you can feel the situation developing and can't seem to correct it quickly enough.

Once crashed on the rough and spiny deck and trying to tally any injury before figuring out how to get up, the absolute first thought was "Crap - did I damage this lovely rifle stock or hurt the scope". Selfishly, even that is a ton better than not trying.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
wife is always on me to make sure we stay active. I think we are both convinced that constant motion is the key to better aging. Hope it plays out that way for us. God knows I'd rather be sitting on the couch watching TV.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gunswizard
When I turned 68 my balance/equilibrium went to h ell, can't walk in the woods without constant fear of falling. - - - - - May not be able to get back to baseline but any improvement will be welcome.
This - loss of balance may be the greatest factor leading to various aspects of physical decline - along with poor nutrition. One medical bout involved a prolonged course of massive med dosage - that disintegrated excellent muscle mass that had been maintained for 50 years, and significantly affected balance capability. That combination loss is difficult to regain, but worth the effort. The muscle has been easier to rebuild than the equilibrium, but progress is possible.

My loving family has been so helpful, but also came up with onerous cautions and rules - do not try to lift more than "X", do not get on a ladder, do not go out into the forest alone, sell all of the heavy trucks (I did do that). But, concentration and effort have steadily increased lifting more than X+, although body position limits some tasks (core strength). Now I can/do climb ladders, but handling weight while up there can be tricky - mostly the balance issue.

I once again roam out into the forest/high desert and went hunting alone this Fall. Now for certain in some situations, going up or down a slope - especially one covered with rocks or pebbles - can concentrate the mind almost to the point of bodily inaction. Inexorable gravity seems to make downhill more challenging than up. Yes - two falls - one uphill and one down - the latter more serious. A sad part is that you can feel the situation developing and can't seem to correct it quickly enough.

Once crashed on the rough and spiny deck and trying to tally any injury before figuring out how to get up, the absolute first thought was "Crap - did I damage this lovely rifle stock or hurt the scope". Selfishly, even that is a ton better than not trying.

I used to win local dance contests. I may not have been Fred Astair, but I was pretty nimble on my feet.

As far as "avoiding" accidents? Would love to have missed out on that head on wreck in 1991!

Hip broken and dislocated. Three bones broken in one foot. The heel crushed in the other foot.
No weight bearing structure left undamaged.
Hip implant and ankle pinned in place and my agility and stability are out the window
I just take my time crossing rough ground.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I had already embarked on my new career as a curmudgeon by that time.

Sam......

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
736 members (10gaugemag, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 21, 12308300, 75 invisible), 2,706 guests, and 1,369 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,623
Posts18,398,611
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.