Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
miguel Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
We have a new Brittany pup arriving on 12/21. A Brit has been on my wish list for as long as I can remember and the time is right. I would like to hear some first hand accounts on any of the quirks with Brit’s. Everything I read suggests they respond very well to positive reinforcement, and are very sensitive to any sort of harsh commands. We will be crate training, as I have with all of my pups before him. I already have a good supply of various Kong type chew toys, as well as harder nylar type chew bones.
I’m not much of an upland hunter. We do have some partridge hunting, and limited pheasant around here, and it would be great to spend some days afield with a bird dog. So besides from being just a pet, I’m looking to do at least rudimentary hunting training.

BP-B2

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
A bird dog that is trained to come when it's called and then exposed to birds will do most of what you want. IMO ANY dog should be taught good obedience if it's gonna be around people. An obedience course is usually time well spent.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I'm on my 2nd Brittany. Got the first as a pup and she was very easy to train. She was a "Dog of a Lifetime". Great family member, very smart and great hunter.

Beware, they need lots of exercise. I agree that they sensitive to harsh commands. Makes training them easy.

When we lost her we decided to adopt. Found a French Brittany that was a "hunting dog". Was told she had never been in a house. Owner didn't know her age but guessed "Between 4 and 6".

Vet said he thought she was closer to 8. She didn't even respond to her name when we got her.

She immediately became a house dog. She mastered the dog door the first night. Was housebroken right from the start.

We've had her 2 years now and her personality has really emerged. I believe she is as smart as our first Brit. Of course she is a great hunter.

Dogs are a special kind of people.

Good luck with your new pup.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Had three over forty years...exactly as you heard..99% of the time a dirty look or harsh word was all the discipline required. One was hard headed and killed the neighbor's chickens, so I thrashed him with a frozen whole chicken...end of chicken fetish. The last dog was an absolute joy to work. Mostly I relied on the dogs nose and instinct, but occasionally I would see something in the distance over the sagebrush that the dog couldn't...and the dog looked at me frequently for cues...and would respond from my arm pointing or hiking direction. Like most dogs, the time you spend bonding with your dog really pays off...I was fortunate to have a job where I could take the dogs to work with me, the store, the gas station, the fishing trips, family outings. Time is the best gift for a dog or a kid, and it will payoff big.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
M
miguel Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
I am wondering how he will behave with our flock of 16 chickens. Hopefully if we introduce them early enough and let him know they are part of the pack, he won’t try and “hunt “ them.

IC B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by WMR
A bird dog that is trained to come when it's called and then exposed to birds will do most of what you want. IMO ANY dog should be taught good obedience if it's gonna be around people. An obedience course is usually time well spent.
100% spot on. This is dog wisdom boiled down to it's essence.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

They are the best.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Obedience is key. "Here" command being of utmost importance. Some britts require little training when it comes to pointing.

Teach Obedience. Once commands are learned, overlay with ecollar (if you want to use one), introduce the gun, then see how it handles birds.

Good luck.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BufordBoone
Beware, they need lots of exercise.

Nearly all the upland pointers are hyper. Depending on where you live and how much land you have, I recommend getting a roading harness to help meet this need. A well exercised bird dog is a happy and easy to live with dog.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
K
K
First dog I bought with my own money, I had to work all summer to save for it and that pup, over 40 years ago and probably 6 dogs later, was the best of the best. He had selective hearing when he wanted to, could put footprints on the ceiling, would go get in the truck if he saw guns coming out. By the time he was 2 he settled in, and at 4 could read my mind. He was sensitive, hard headed, did not tire, and was always up for an adventure.

About 20 years ago I switched to Border Collies for pets, everyone warned me how they needed a job and they were unlike any other dogs and were smarter than their owners, but after that Brittany, they have been a breeze. He taught me more than I taught him.

Enjoy the new pup, have patience, no rash judgements before they're two, and let the dog be a dog when it's not working! Although we'd all like to most of us can't hunt every day, so regular and consistent excercise keeps them from looking for trouble.

IC B3

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
“Thrashed him with a whole frozen chicken”.

🙄🙄🙄

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I got my first French Brittany in August and absolutely love this breed. I also read that they are a soft dog and very sensitive, I found this to be false! I shot her first woodcock over her at 4 months.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Great Hunting Dog, I owned one many years ago and was one of the best pheasant, quail dog. He required a lot of exercise every day. He had a decent yard to run in but nevertheless he had a daily romp at the park. Pigeons did not like having him around for sure.

M
miguel Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Delivery has been delayed for a couple days, he’s supposed to arrive Christmas Eve morning. We’ll see, some nasty weather coming this way. I can’t wait to see the little guy!

Last edited by miguel; 12/22/22.
M
miguel Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

A
AEL Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Beautiful dog. I just lost my last Brittany this past weekend. He was about to turn 15 (pretty old for a Brittany). I've had three of them and my experience has been as others have said. They respond well to positive reinforcement and don't work well with a heavy hand. Mine have been high energy and needed some time to run, but are great family dogs and seem to have good hunting instincts. I hope to have another one someday myself. Good luck with your new pup!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by miguel

I L O V E puppy breath! I envy you, and Merry Christmas.

L2S

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My old bud Gavin is 11 and a half. We still hunt woodcock. We can hunt an hour or so and hobble back to the truck. He needs a ramp and I sometimes need my cane. I remember the day he came home. Just a little squirter like yours. Oh my! Puppy breath and soft and cuddly. I have puppy envy, real bad, too. You are a lucky guy.
Merry Christmas
Bfly

Be nice and work hard, you never have enough time or friends.
K
K
Originally Posted by Blackfly1
My old bud Gavin is 11 and a half. We still hunt woodcock. We can hunt an hour or so and hobble back to the truck. He needs a ramp and I sometimes need my cane. I remember the day he came home. Just a little squirter like yours. Oh my! Puppy breath and soft and cuddly. I have puppy envy, real bad, too. You are a lucky guy.
Merry Christmas
Bfly
A boy and a dog go hand in hand, but an old dog with an old hunter-oh the stories they can tell and the special bond they have. I'm getting there myself-Merry Christmas!!

Originally Posted by miguel

Congratulations Miguel!! Beautiful Pup, Merry Christmas!!

M
miguel Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Gus finally arrived on the 26th. He is fitting in well with the other two dogs, and it doesn’t look like he has an overwhelming desire to eat my laying hens. He does have a real interest in the birds at the feeders! He has slept almost through the night the past 2 nights, I hope he keeps that up. He’s already starting to respond to his name and come when called. I think I’ve got a keeper here!!

M
miguel Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
M

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
With any dog consistency is the key in everything you teach them - if you expect or accept anything different from the standard you want, you're lying to them and confusing them. Like you my personal dogs were all pets; being from the South, that translates as members of the family, my children, my babies - you know the deal. That being the case they were always subject to more NON-hunting and NON-training experiences with my wife and daughters than actual field time with me plus they were subject to 'non-standard' commands, etc. To deal with that, I did what I learned from my trainer mentor in 1975 - that was to always have a different collar for actual hunting and training time - I would just slip that on with the regular collar and made sure it came off when the field work/training was done. The dog will learn what is SERIOUS working dog stuff and what is simple pet play time. The more of a pet they are and the more they are indulged and engaged as a pet the more they will develope and explore their personalities - a kennel dog has more time to itself but will never have that personality.

Example: One lab ("Spanky") I had was the best, most determined retriever to hand that I ever had; but when it was play time, she would tease me by bringing (whatever was thrown for her) back until she was about two feet away, then turn and run just out of reach wanting me or the kids to chase her - if I ignored her, she'd bring it and drop it at my feet but the second I leaned down to pick it up, would pounce on it and tease me with it. If I put on her work collar, she was all business. All my other pets were the same way. I never used an electric collar with any of my pets. The only time I use one now is required by the place I guide for, when using their dogs, which are all non-pet kennel dogs and not bonded to a person. I don't have to use a collar much but I have to make sure it's on because they know it its off and on a whim may decide to head for the next area code.

Back to specifics for Brittanies, in my experiences relative to American pointers, English setters, and German Shorthairs they are much more personable and I never saw one that wasn't great with kids. They also tend to work well with other dogs - mine was matched with a female 3-legged English Setter and a super-large male GSP (also pets) and she always seem to bring out the best in them both ON and OFF duty so to speak. My grandfather was a old school trainer back in 20s, 30s, & 40's with pointers and Brits - the pointers stayed in the kennel, the Brits in the house. I apologize for digressing - I'm 72 now and your pup brings back memories. Hope you and yours enjoy the new family member - most honest love you'll ever get.

AKA The P-Man smile

If you cherish your memories with kids, be a good role model . . . . so the RIGHT memories of you mean something to them.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
AEL, my condolences but I assure you that your old hunting buddy is in hunters heaven where the season never closes, it's always a sunny 55-degrees, no briars, no sandspurs or beggars lice, nothing but covey after covey, no chasing singles anymore, and more importantly the shooter never misses. Celebrate those marvelous memories of him until you join him - I'm sure you have a bunch.

Blackfly, as long as Gavin is happy and relatively pain free, life is good for the both of you.

For the rest of you guys what does puppy breath remind you of? To me it smells - in a good way - like turnip greens cookin'
But I'm just an old Southern country boy so what do I know smile

Best wishes for a new year,
Py

Last edited by Offshoreman; 12/29/22.

AKA The P-Man smile

If you cherish your memories with kids, be a good role model . . . . so the RIGHT memories of you mean something to them.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Beautiful pup Miguel , everything said above is true. My pup, 2nd pick of females, was born on Christmas Eve in Iowa . I lost my Milo in July of this year at 14 and was crushing to us. Incredibly smart and loving family members with an incredible prey drive. I will make the 300 mile trip to get mine in 6 weeks

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I’m glad I started this and sad as well. My Brit is 12 and he acts like he was 6. Still goes hard in the field. He can read my mind but he has a mind of his own as well. Last month in 30-40 mph winds I watched him work pheasants like he could read their minds as well. He’s no angel by any means but what a companion. Come, heal and whoa, are all you need with a good one. He’ll teach you the rest. They love to retrieve and they love to swim. He’ll keep you exercised as well. I’ll never have anything but a Brittany. And yes he’s probably laying on my pillow right now while I’m at work. But he’ll do backflips when I get home.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Love my French Brittany

M
miguel Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Gus is turning out to be everything I hoped a Brittany would be. His daily training is going great, he seems eager to learn. He still gets into a little mischief, but that’s to be expected with a 4 month old pup.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Offshoreman
With any dog consistency is the key in everything you teach them - if you expect or accept anything different from the standard you want, you're lying to them and confusing them. Like you my personal dogs were all pets; being from the South, that translates as members of the family, my children, my babies - you know the deal. That being the case they were always subject to more NON-hunting and NON-training experiences with my wife and daughters than actual field time with me plus they were subject to 'non-standard' commands, etc. To deal with that, I did what I learned from my trainer mentor in 1975 - that was to always have a different collar for actual hunting and training time - I would just slip that on with the regular collar and made sure it came off when the field work/training was done. The dog will learn what is SERIOUS working dog stuff and what is simple pet play time. The more of a pet they are and the more they are indulged and engaged as a pet the more they will develope and explore their personalities - a kennel dog has more time to itself but will never have that personality.

Back to specifics for Brittanies, in my experiences relative to American pointers, English setters, and German Shorthairs they are much more personable and I never saw one that wasn't great with kids. They also tend to work well with other dogs - mine was matched with a female 3-legged English Setter and a super-large male GSP (also pets) and she always seem to bring out the best in them both ON and OFF duty so to speak. My grandfather was a old school trainer back in 20s, 30s, & 40's with pointers and Brits - the pointers stayed in the kennel, the Brits in the house. I apologize for digressing - I'm 72 now and your pup brings back memories. Hope you and yours enjoy the new family member - most honest love you'll ever get.

This advice is absolutely spot on.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
230 members (257 mag, 2UP, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 26 invisible), 1,623 guests, and 896 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,926
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.