Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I have two 527 Grendel’s and I was shooting them the other day and was able to just drop the rounds on top and close the bolt no issues. I’ve got a 22 and 17 Hornet as well and those I have to load in the magazine.

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Lucky you. Mine most definitely wouldn’t.

Don’t think I’ve seen any Grendels for sale. Others seem priced based on the cartridge they take.

Just looking Honey, honest!

What fresh Hell is this?
R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by ldholton
think I have four chambered in 6.5 Grendel all for different reasons if you understand the cartridge you'll be just fine. if you try to make it into a big Magnum well don't. appreciate it what it's for low recoil and high performance in its own area of usage.
chambered in the correct weapon can be very accurate also after all it's pretty much a big bore 6 mm ...PPC
Its simple. Its a 6.5 ppc. Thats how Arne started it.

If a gun won't shoot it accurately its either a bad gun or ammo not put together very well at all. PPC are accurate.

I"ve shot a lot of them. Did some of the initial testing for Arne at 600 yards as a target round it it worked well for its application.

I only own one, a horrible cheap bear creek upper that cost 209 dollars. Its been 100 percent reliable and I've not shoot anything through it at 100 so far thats been over 1.25 inch group.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
think I have four chambered in 6.5 Grendel all for different reasons if you understand the cartridge you'll be just fine. if you try to make it into a big Magnum well don't. appreciate it what it's for low recoil and high performance in its own area of usage.
chambered in the correct weapon can be very accurate also after all it's pretty much a big bore 6 mm ...PPC

I look at mine as a modern replacement for the 30/30 niche...

bullets from 85 grain HPs to 140 SPs, instead of just a 150 or 170 grain bullet...

last 3 seasons I've found myself grabbing that rifle when I head out the door...

a 100 grain Ballistic Tip, is a flat shooting game getter out of the Grendel..

we can only take on deer a season here, but I've had one fall to a 100 grain Ballistic Tip and one to a 140 grain Speer SP..
both under 150 yds, but the same rifle and scope combo will ring steel at 300 and 400 yds, over at the local range quite easily...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Seafire

bullets from 85 grain HPs to 140 SPs, instead of just a 150 or 170 grain bullet...

last 3 seasons I've found myself grabbing that rifle when I head out the door...

we can only take on deer a season here, but I've had one fall to a 100 grain Ballistic Tip and one to a 140 grain Speer SP..
both under 150 yds, but the same rifle and scope combo will ring steel at 300 and 400 yds, over at the local range quite easily...

How do the 6.5 140s perform in the Gendel?

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by johnn

I have not hunted with them in the Grendel, but I have used the old 140 Sierra Gameking for fireform loads and it appears capable of duplicating the 6.5 Mannlicher-Schoenauer's performance. And a read of the history of that round indicates pretty good hunting results! I bet that bullet holds together pretty well at Grendel speeds - getting it to expand would probably be the greater concern.
Interesting thread,
Rex

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TRexF16

I have not hunted with them in the Grendel, but I have used the old 140 Sierra Gameking for fireform loads and it appears capable of duplicating the 6.5 Mannlicher-Schoenauer's performance. And a read of the history of that round indicates pretty good hunting results! I bet that bullet holds together pretty well at Grendel speeds - getting it to expand would probably be the greater concern.
Interesting thread,
Rex

I’d been curious as well - great thought to ponder Rex. I’m sitting on some 6.5/140 NPT and wasn’t sure if they’d be a fit in the Grendel…rethinking that now.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
for me 130 Sierra game changers have very good ..

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
3 down with 123 eld-m so far

FJB
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Several questions asked on the 140s...

Figure an equivalent of a 30/30, but using much more aerodynamic bullets.. MV was about 2150 fps out of a Ruger Predator barrel. Deer taken down was a big bodied Blacktail, that was running away from me... but when it stopped to look back to see where the does were, that had been near him, that is where I put the crosshairs on him just behind his shoulder. He was at a slight uphill incline from where I was....

Distance was 125 yds approximately. Bullet hit right behind shoulder, and him being uphill from me, it came out on the lower side of its neck.
The hit was immediately DRT. Funny, he was standing by a track made by a skidder ( think tractor tire). He fell over into that, about a 6 inch deep track. So instant DRT, and he landed on his back... so he was a cartoonish, 4 hoofs sticking straight up in the air.

Test of one.. but it had no question of its lethality.. plowed thru about 11 to 12 inches of deer anatomy, and exited, and dug itself into the hillside.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

Interesting thread,
Rex

Im my mind the appeal of the Grinner is length and fitting a AR, or a short BA. The 6.5 is a great bullet and as of late getting the appreciation it deserves, but if your going to make the leap to a 3" long cartridge, then why not the 6.5 x 55? Certainly much better performance than the Mannlicher.

I was well on the way to a 6.5 G, however it came to light and I am under the impression the short fat case does not lend itself to the heavier bullets that are available in a 6.5.

I suppose it really depends on what you have in mind to hunt with it, personally I don't think I would hunt a moose with a 6.5 Grendel, but I would use a 6.5 x 55.

I ended up building a 6 arc as I think i can use the full range of 6mm bullets and 108g should be fine for deer.

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
M
MCMark Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M

Interesting thread,
Rex

Im my mind the appeal of the Grinner is length and fitting a AR, or a short BA. The 6.5 is a great bullet and as of late getting the appreciation it deserves, but if your going to make the leap to a 3" long cartridge, then why not the 6.5 x 55? Certainly much better performance than the Mannlicher.

I was well on the way to a 6.5 G, however it came to light and I am under the impression the short fat case does not lend itself to the heavier bullets that are available in a 6.5.

I suppose it really depends on what you have in mind to hunt with it, personally I don't think I would hunt a moose with a 6.5 Grendel, but I would use a 6.5 x 55.

I ended up building a 6 arc as I think i can use the full range of 6mm bullets and 108g should be fine for deer.
Nice thing is I have a 6.5x55 smile A lefty zastava. Dad isn't worried about shooting large game, he likes how the grendel doen't have much recoil.

Proud Left hander!
K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
What is the parent case on the 6 ARC ?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
As a general comment, I pointed out in the last sentence of my Handloader article that "based on considerable hunting experience with mild .25s and 6.5s—including the .250 Savage and 6.5x54 Mannlicher-Schoenauer—the 6.5 Grendel will make some meat."

This is because the 6.5 Grendel can duplicate the basic ballistics of those cartridges--and several others in between.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by KB64
all started with the 220 Russian from which the PPC came then the Grendel and now the ARC ,

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Originally Posted by KB64
all started with the 220 Russian from which the PPC came then the Grendel and now the ARC ,

Thanks.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
As a general comment, I pointed out in the last sentence of my Handloader article that "based on considerable hunting experience with mild .25s and 6.5s—including the .250 Savage and 6.5x54 Mannlicher-Schoenauer—the 6.5 Grendel will make some meat."

This is because the 6.5 Grendel can duplicate the basic ballistics of those cartridges--and several others in between.
Picked up a Grendel upper a few weeks ago and have had a ball playing with it. I've worked up a good load with it using 129 gr bullets (all I had on hand to start with) and have been chomping at the bit to kill a deer with it.

I had it out a couple of days ago to check out the new Brass Goat I bought to keep from having to chase brass and chose to pull out my 1903 M-S to check the zero while out at the range. I mainly wanted to see if my 6.5X54 loads using 156 gr Norma and 160 gr Hornady bullets shot to the same POI.

The Goat worked beautifully and the Grendel shot a group just under MOA which it does much of the time. The Mannlicher-Schonauer put four shots (two each of the different bullets) into almost exactly one inch. Couldn't help but think of your comment in the article, and again above, about the closeness of the performance of the two even though they were created 100+ years apart. If my M-S would feed pointed bulets so I could use 129s or 140s, their performances would be even closer!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
With my Ruger Predator, I picked up some synthetic 10 round 223 mags, meant for an AR. They work just fine with the Grendal case.

With a 140 grain SP, I use 29 grains of W 748, and seat the bullet to fit the mag. I do crimp it so that the powder doesn't slowly push the 140 gr bullet out of the case. But it feeds just fine in the bolt action Ruger Predator, just as easily as a 100 grain bullet would. I use 29 grains of W 748 for that load also....

Late to the testing game, but a stiff charge of AR Comp also works real well, and even turns in tighter groups...

With almost any bullet & powder combination, the Ruger is giving me 3 shot groups much smaller than an inch.

the smallest groups, seem to come with RL 7, 3031, AA2015, AR Comp, W 748, H 322, Benchmark, IMR 4198.. other powders still yield under an inch.. seems any small rifle primer, it also digests those making little tiny groups...

The Ruger is more accurate than almost any cartridge you'd usually take out hunting deer.

With the right scope and reticle, Steel plates at 400 yards are no real problem.

It does a lot and without much recoil. a 243 recoils more than the Ruger Predator in the Grendal...if I use standard factory loads
which I usually don't use... 30 grains of RL 7 or 4198 is my most common charge I use on my handloads for the 243s. with bullet weights from 70 TNT to 100 grain Hornady or Sierra SPs...30 grain of powder in the 243, recoils about the same as the Grendal does. regardless of bullet weight.

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
I also have a cheap BCA 6.5 Grendel upper that is the host for my thermal. Killed a bunch of hogs with it, some with 123 grain ELD-M but I've switched to 95 gr V-max over Benchmark. The V-max has done fine on the hogs and I've swapped to a regular scope to try it on deer this year.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Hey Guys, we use a grendel and hand loaded 100G Barnes TTSX with awesome results on hogs and deer. They are like hens teeth to find!

Get some here if you want:

100g TTSX Barnes

You're welcome smile

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
692 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 11point, 160user, 117LBS, 12344mag, 83 invisible), 2,654 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,689
Posts18,399,819
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.