Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
This may be old news, but I just saw Hornady brass available at a couple places. Best price I saw was Midsouth. I was down to a couple bags, now I am set for a while. Apologies if this is old news

GB1

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Thanks

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Not sure if they still have it in stock or not, but I picked up a couple boxes from Graf a couple weeks ago. Over $50 each made me grit my teeth a bit, but I needed it.

*added*

Still in stock as of 6:03am cst 12/8/2022... $50.99

Last edited by zcm82; 12/08/22. Reason: addition
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Grafs is out, I ordered two from Midsouth today.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Too much, too pricey, I know ifin ya really need it, whata gonna do????? Back in and around late summer/early fall of 2020 a number of online outfits (Brownells, Midway, and Cabela's were selling 250/300 Savage brass for $25-29 perbox/sack. I posted the price and sale at the time here but I don't believe to many took advantage. I did and am sitting with around 150 rds of each caliber yet new. Not for sale.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Unfortunately I didn't have a 250 back then!!

Lyle

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Savage94C
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Too much, too pricey, I know ifin ya really need it, whata gonna do????? Back in and around late summer/early fall of 2020 a number of online outfits (Brownells, Midway, and Cabela's were selling 250/300 Savage brass for $25-29 perbox/sack. I posted the price and sale at the time here but I don't believe to many took advantage. I did and am sitting with around 150 rds of each caliber yet new. Not for sale.
I think it was in the same time period the guys here posted Midway had Remington ammo on sale for $17 a box. I was going to buy 5 a week till they ran out. Didn’t last long, I got two orders in.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Originally Posted by LHS905
Unfortunately I didn't have a 250 back then!!

Lyle

Same. I was between 250s for quite a few years, and also not a member here yet. I do wish I had stocked up on more 300 brass when it was cheaper. My first 300 (which is now my 250) had really bad headspace and ate most of the 300 brass I had.

Next time Hornady 250 brass comes into rotation, I'll be stocking up on that.

Got enough PPU 303 brass to last more than a lifetime when BA was having a fire sale on it a year or two back... got 500 rounds for about a bill, including shipping.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
You know, if a fella is bemoaning the paucity of .300 brass, then that means he's a handloader. If he's a handloader then that also means he has the capability of making his own brass. It's the the same head diameter as half of the cartridges known to mankind. The obvious starting place is .308 brass, which is omnipresent. Simply swage it down in the .300 sizing die (go slow and incrementally, wiping and re-lubing often), trim to length, give it a final sizing and load her up. When I was shooting .300 Savages I made all my own brass that way. No big deal and not all that time consuming, and the biggest advantage lies in being able to thumb your nose at the ammo companies if they snub you (or gouge you) over your favorite caliber.

And you can take it a step further and convert it at that point to .250 brass, but that'll entail a little more work, plus neck reaming or turning, and at least one annealing step.

Independence from "The Man" who decrees what ammo/brass he's going to dole out to you! Up the Revolution!!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
I've made some from 308... it's a pita with all that trimming. I think we may have a difference of opinion on what we consider time consuming 😜 Same way I feel about bullet casting... I enjoy shooting, not loading. Loading is just a chore to be endured so I can do the shooting... sorta like how I enjoy eating, but not washing dishes.

My loads (mostly 4198) also have to backed off mightily from regular 300 brass with a huge POI difference.

IC B3

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Got a couple hundred, in pretty good shape.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Do initial trimming with a saw*, fine tune with the case trimmer. Yeah, case capacity will be a skinch smaller (especially with 7.62 NATO brass) but not drastically so. Cut the charge back a grain or two to compensate and pressures/velocity will be equal, at least in my experience with 4064, Varget, and 4895.

* I do it with my band saw and a wooden fixture to hold the case - a couple seconds and done. Been meaning to get one of those cute little Harbor Freight miniature chop saws. I've also lopped excess brass off of reformed brass with the 12" disc sander, then turned to the case trimmer for final trimming.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I've even made them out of .30-06 brass, but that's a whole lot of extra work. My point is, a resourceful handloader needs only to shrug his shoulders when other guys gnash their teeth when brass shortages occur.

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
I had to back my 4198 loads off 2.5-3gr to get the same velocities depending on the bullet using SigSauer 308 reforms. I didn't mess with any other powders in them.

Making one batch to test in the rifle was enough to convince me it wasn't worth it. I got other stuff I'd much rather be doing in my free time most days than performing surgery on brass.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
My philosophy about such stuff has always been "it's not a means to an end, it's the end in and of itself."

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Mine as I've gotten older is that a lot of stuff is expensive because it is worth paying for 😂

Think we may be on divergent paths there 😜

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
laugh

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
I'm all about the end. 🤷‍♂️

The only part of loading I actually enjoy is fiddling to develop accurate loads with different bullets. The actual physical process is tedious and incredibly boring to me... generally about as much fun as watching paint dry on a fence.

Unfortunately, I have this problem falling in love with unpopular or obsolete cartridges. 😕

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Do initial trimming with a saw*, fine tune with the case trimmer. Yeah, case capacity will be a skinch smaller (especially with 7.62 NATO brass) but not drastically so. Cut the charge back a grain or two to compensate and pressures/velocity will be equal, at least in my experience with 4064, Varget, and 4895.

* I do it with my band saw and a wooden fixture to hold the case - a couple seconds and done. Been meaning to get one of those cute little Harbor Freight miniature chop saws. I've also lopped excess brass off of reformed brass with the 12" disc sander, then turned to the case trimmer for final trimming.
I got one of those mini chop saws and it works well. I think John said he got a cradle that holds the tapered shell of the 5.56 level/square when chopping, to make 300 Black Out. The only problem I had chopping brass for the 444 Rimless was if I used 06 brass. It has just enough taper that the mouth was not even. So, I just chopped it a little long and squared it up with the trimmer.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by zcm82
I'm all about the end. 🤷‍♂️

The only part of loading I actually enjoy is fiddling to develop accurate loads with different bullets. The actual physical process is tedious and incredibly boring to me... generally about as much fun as watching paint dry on a fence.

Unfortunately, I have this problem falling in love with unpopular or obsolete cartridges. 😕
Have any 444 Rimless you are tired of fooling with?:)

Last edited by JoeMartin; 12/16/22.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

129 members (1_deuce, 257wthbylover, 300_savage, 5sdad, 2ndwind, 16 invisible), 1,739 guests, and 963 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,511
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.