Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
SupFoo Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Smith & Wesson sales off by 47% as demand for firearms drops

Firearm manufacturer Smith & Wesson’s sales were down 47% in the most recent quarter, a drop the company blamed Tuesday on inflation, the cost of home heating and rising interest rates.

Smith & Wesson reported $121 million in sales Tuesday for the three months that ended Oct. 31. That was a decrease of $109.4 million, or 47.5%, from this time last year when it was $230 million.

But last year, pandemic-era buyers were scooping up firearms. Looking before the pandemic, the results announced Tuesday are $7.3 million, or 6.4%, higher than the comparable time period in 2019.

Smith & Wesson said it earned $9.6 million, or 21 cents a share in the quarter compared with $50.9 million, or $1.05 a share, in the same time period last year.

More here:

https://americanmilitarynews.com/2022/12/smith-wesson-sales-off-by-47-as-demand-for-firearms-drops/

BP-B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Money that might have gone to another gun are now going for food, medication, energy, and other essentials, in reaction to massive inflation.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Firearms spending, let's face it, comes from discretionary funding in any household. REAL inflation is around 20% any way you slice it. So considering the stats that say the average household has less than a 1000 in the cookie jar for emergencies...I don't see where most folks have any money to spare.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
So this is the devious plan by the Ds to achieve gun control - inflation.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Money that might have gone to another gun are now going for food, medication, energy, and other essentials, in reaction to massive inflation.

Yep. Not to mention all the money folks lost in the stock market caused by Lying Hiden Biden’s Administration intentionally destroying America’s Economy.
When the Economy is good, folks spend more on recreational “toys”.
When Inflation hits 30 to 40 percent, not 8% like the lying POS’s claim, there’s no extra income to spend
for non necessities.

And many people, the smart ones, anyways, stocked up on Guns, Ammo, and reloading supplies when the DemoRat’s stole the Election, and installed the Puppet Pedo Joe. And others stocked up on weaponry when the Scamdemic hit.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can believe that. Sold a few myself this past year, and interest was soft, often limited to guys wanting to avoid required paperwork. Finally resorted to having my LGS put the last one on GB, where it yielded my asking price even after the commission, and no more time wasted on phone calls from window-shoppers.

What fresh Hell is this?
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Yep. Not to mention all the money folks lost in the stock market caused by Lying Hiden Biden’s Administration intentionally destroying America’s Economy.
When the Economy is good, folks spend more on recreational “toys”.
When Inflation hits 30 to 40 percent, not 8% like the lying POS’s claim, there’s no extra income to spend
for non necessities.

And many people, the smart ones, anyways, stocked up on Guns, Ammo, and reloading supplies when the DemoRat’s stole the Election, and installed the Puppet Pedo Joe. And others stocked up on weaponry when the Scamdemic hit.
You’re really gonna show them all by constant Internet whining.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Firearms spending, let's face it, comes from discretionary funding in any household. REAL inflation is around 20% any way you slice it. So considering the stats that say the average household has less than a 1000 in the cookie jar for emergencies...I don't see where most folks have any money to spare.

Used gun shelves are slowly beginning to fill back up @ local shops and at prices that are beginning to re-enter earth's atmosphere as well. Shops are also starting to mark down excess/slow-moving ammo that was "What they could get" in favor of now "What people WANT".

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Reckon sales had much to do with stimulus checks?

Now there is no stimulus checks, and the inflation that follows.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Food and fuel prices have nearly completely absorbed my budget for all things firearm-related. Have had to shift my priorities around. I'm sure a lot of us are in the same boat.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Pretty Good Rebates…

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Could be that the market has become somewhat saturated. The first-time buyers of the past few years aren't like a lot of us who tend to accumulate firearms. Once they have what they think they need, they're done.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Well, I did my part in that quarter.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Inflation has a lot to do with it, but other factors are limiting purchases too. The manufacturers themselves should be to blame for some of it.

The market is somewhat stagnant. The lack of product innovation is taking its toll. Consumers are begging for new quality product and it’s falling on deaf ears. In Smith’s case, there are still some revolvers in demand and the debacle with Thompson Center left a hole in their portfolio. Guys are simply growing weary of the same old commodity firearms - plastic pistols, plastic rifles….everything that’s shipping regularly is a “budget” gun. Those guns will always have their place, but can’t consume the market.

Without new innovations and upper end offerings, shoppers are fatigued. They’re not churning and trading for the latest and greatest. The rifle market is really lacking, as is the shotgun market. Hardly anything upper end available in mass quantities from Beretta, Benelli, Winchester, Browning, Remington, Kimber…the list goes on. And upper end is now defined as models that were previously available as standard offerings. Stainless rifles, wood stocked rifles, wood stocked shotguns are all slow to ship.

It’s a different time and the manufacturers own a bunch of that blame. I don’t feel sorry for them. Publicly traded companies are slow to react because of all the hoops. Too many levels of approval and individuals trying to justify their jobs. If they spent more time building what the consumer wanted instead of building what they wanted to build, things might be a little different.

I’m home with flu and bored. I’m also tired of manufacturers not owning the blame for a soft market.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by WYcoyote
Well, I did my part in that quarter.

Ah now you did it ..

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Yep they fell in love with the profit margin of the plastic fantastics.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
Inflation has a lot to do with it, but other factors are limiting purchases too. The manufacturers themselves should be to blame for some of it.

The market is somewhat stagnant. The lack of product innovation is taking its toll. Consumers are begging for new quality product and it’s falling on deaf ears. In Smith’s case, there are still some revolvers in demand and the debacle with Thompson Center left a hole in their portfolio. Guys are simply growing weary of the same old commodity firearms - plastic pistols, plastic rifles….everything that’s shipping regularly is a “budget” gun. Those guns will always have their place, but can’t consume the market.

Without new innovations and upper end offerings, shoppers are fatigued. They’re not churning and trading for the latest and greatest. The rifle market is really lacking, as is the shotgun market. Hardly anything upper end available in mass quantities from Beretta, Benelli, Winchester, Browning, Remington, Kimber…the list goes on. And upper end is now defined as models that were previously available as standard offerings. Stainless rifles, wood stocked rifles, wood stocked shotguns are all slow to ship.

It’s a different time and the manufacturers own a bunch of that blame. I don’t feel sorry for them. Publicly traded companies are slow to react because of all the hoops. Too many levels of approval and individuals trying to justify their jobs. If they spent more time building what the consumer wanted instead of building what they wanted to build, things might be a little different.

I’m home with flu and bored. I’m also tired of manufacturers not owning the blame for a soft market.

Great insight, rest up and get well..

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
2021 #'s were a result of what transpired through late 2020

RIOTS EVERYWHERE

Many people were scared, went and purchased their first firearm.

FJB & FJT
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Food and fuel prices have nearly completely absorbed my budget for all things firearm-related. Have had to shift my priorities around. I'm sure a lot of us are in the same boat.

Mine too! I'm trying like hell to live on my Navy retirement as opposed to drawing money out of our IRAs because it's taking a loss every withdrawal.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
657 members (17CalFan, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257Bob, 12344mag, 1234, 73 invisible), 2,984 guests, and 1,378 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,668
Posts18,399,405
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.