24hourcampfire.com
24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 22,728
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 22,728
My boss went away from diesels and got me a new ranch truck. Couldn't find a 7.3 ford gasser, so he ended up buying a chebberay 3500. Been since '98 since I got rid of my '90 Chev, to go with Ford. This is the cheapo model and I'm glad. No use for all that hitech stuff on a feed truck. Only thing is, I wish it wasn't a dually. And had better tires on it. But hey, it ain't my money so I'll use the piss outta it anyway....

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

GB2

Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 43,487
Campfire 'Bwana
Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 43,487
Don, a feed pickup needs a bumper grill guard, a bale bed and as you mentioned better tires.



And it's a Chevy.....



The dogs look good though!

Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 12,663
Campfire Outfitter
Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 12,663
Yeah, good looking dogs, and not enough scratches!

Then again, my feed truck was bought for $500 five years ago, chronically fouls three plugs, leaks coolant like a sieve, has no tail lights left and the drivers door doesn’t close.

So, maybe yours is better…., lol.


Sic Semper Tyrannis
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 43,487
Campfire 'Bwana
Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 43,487
Look at those big grill openings and clean radiators.


I would get a custom screen in place for next summer.
(before they fill up with bugs and seeds and cotton...)

Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 12,144
C
Campfire Outfitter
Offline
Campfire Outfitter
C
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 12,144
I drove by the local Sam's club today. Unleaded regular $2.72 a gallon, diesel $4.62 a gallon. The case for buying a diesel gets harder and harder with prices like that.

IC B2

Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 68,588
Campfire Kahuna
Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 68,588
Looks good ! But not a 4WD ???


"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 22,728
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 22,728
it is 4wd. at least that's what the pushbuttons on the dash say....

Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 26,627
A
Campfire Ranger
Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 26,627
Fugg it. It’s like a rental. Don’t miss any maintenance ,but run tha piss out of it.


[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 26,627
A
Campfire Ranger
Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 26,627
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Looks good ! But not a 4WD ???
Surprisingly, No.


[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 26,627
A
Campfire Ranger
Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 26,627
Oh schidt I forgot GMC has push button 4x4 w/o manual hubs


[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B3

Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 4,866
4
Campfire Tracker
Offline
Campfire Tracker
4
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 4,866
What truck? I just see red heelers.

Looking forward to what you think about that truck after awhile, hunstman. Especially tranny and suspension. I've heard good things about the engine and 2500/3500 in general but I haven't followed too closely.

Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 37,855
Campfire 'Bwana
Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 37,855
Sorta looks dainty compared to the old Ford.


Me



Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 68,588
Campfire Kahuna
Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 68,588
Originally Posted by huntsman22
it is 4wd. at least that's what the pushbuttons on the dash say....

Good deal Huntsman.

I’d never buy another truck or SUV that wasn’t 4-wheel drive. Can’t imagine anyone that works like you getting one either.


"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 7,452
Campfire Tracker
Offline
Campfire Tracker
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 7,452
Looks kinda like an Aztec from the front, only fuglier smile


To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12



Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,172
M
Campfire Ranger
Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,172
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Oh schidt I forgot GMC has push button 4x4 w/o manual hubs
Keeps your boots clean!!!


I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 4,295
Campfire Tracker
Offline
Campfire Tracker
Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 4,295
You mean that even the 1 ton rated trucks today have automatic hubs? I don’t even trust them on my half ton and up until recently the manual hubs were on the 3/4 ton Fords. I’m old so old school seemed just fine for me when I needed 4wd. If I got my feet muddy getting out and turning in the front hubs, that was on me for not being smart enough to realize that they should have been engaged already.


My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 8,016
T
Campfire Outfitter
Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 8,016
Umm pretty sure Chevrolet hasn’t offered manual hubs since 87 or 88. Pretty sure Ford had some form of auto hub available on 3/4 and 1 tons since 92. The new “manual” hubs on Fords are either in Auto or Lock, no free to leave you getting out in the mud. And though Dodge was the only one to never give up the solid front axle on their 4x4s I believe they had auto hubs by 94.

What kind of Tin Lizzy are you driving?

Huntsman, I’m no GM guy but I do know several guys around with late model gas GM feed wagons about like yours but regular cab. They have no real complaints. Less power than diesel but reliable as a claw hammer. Plus your’s is the best kind, the kind someone else pays for.

Last edited by TheKid; 12/09/22.
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 43,487
Campfire 'Bwana
Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 43,487
What Chevy's hope to one day grow up to into....


[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 18,394
1
Campfire Ranger
Offline
Campfire Ranger
1
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 18,394
Originally Posted by SamOlson
What Chevy's hope to one day grow up to into....


[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
Mechanics need jobs too!🤣🤣🤣


The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 18,394
1
Campfire Ranger
Offline
Campfire Ranger
1
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 18,394
Originally Posted by TheKid
Umm pretty sure Chevrolet hasn’t offered manual hubs since 87 or 88. Pretty sure Ford had some form of auto hub available on 3/4 and 1 tons since 92. The new “manual” hubs on Fords are either in Auto or Lock, no free to leave you getting out in the mud. And though Dodge was the only one to never give up the solid front axle on their 4x4s I believe they had auto hubs by 94.

What kind of Tin Lizzy are you driving?

Huntsman, I’m no GM guy but I do know several guys around with late model gas GM feed wagons about like yours but regular cab. They have no real complaints. Less power than diesel but reliable as a claw hammer. Plus your’s is the best kind, the kind someone else pays for.
88 on GM half tons and I believe 3/4 tons and 91 or 92 on 1 tons since they kept the old body on the 1 tons and Suburbans.

Not sure why Ford got away from the free feature.


The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 8,726
F
Campfire Outfitter
Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 8,726
My son's employer (forest management) is a fleet buyer. They gave up on diesels long ago, just didn't pencil out. Since they went gas, they have tried Dodge, GMC, and now Ford. None seems better than another, so far. Dodges ate cams and lifters after warranty. GMC's transmission failures after warranty, Fords are just now getting up past warranty and it's not looking good. Every truck has had automatic 4x4 hub failure (warranty), broken windshields from ill fitting body panels (warranty denied), multiple wiring harness connector failures, cab leaks, excessive tire wear (warranty denied). Company policy has evolved to try to roll the fleet over at 200,000. They put on a lot of miles in a year. I'm not pushing any brand of pickup here, just passing it on. Word is company is regretting providing pickups, used to be employee supplied pickup and was reimbursed mileage, but the workmen's insurance carrier said don't do that for legal reasons.


Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 4,168
Campfire Tracker
Offline
Campfire Tracker
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 4,168
The new Chevy 2500’s went from a 6L90 to the new ‘Allison’ 10 speed, same as the diesel. I would assume a transmission they put behind a diesel would hold up well behind the gasser.

Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 22,728
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 22,728
got a little work outta her today....

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 32,129
Campfire 'Bwana
Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 32,129
Originally Posted by huntsman22
got a little work outta her today....

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Those are gonna be a bïtch to unroll.


Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 21,360
Campfire Ranger
Offline
Campfire Ranger
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 21,360
23 year old me bought a new 93 Dodge just because I wanted it.
$1/gal diesel and 20mpg, it penciled out well against most full size
trucks then. No contest against a big block.

Still have it.



30 years later.

Diesel is more expensive than gas, EPA has ruined the mpg, DEF,
The lack of reliability, initial expense.......

The performance of modern gas engines.


One would have to be an idiot to buy a diesel today unless really heavy
pulling at grade was frequent.


Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,583
Campfire Regular
Offline
Campfire Regular
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,583
And how do you like the gas engine? I really mine so far.

Originally Posted by huntsman22
got a little work outta her today....

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]


Rob
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 22,728
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 22,728
Only 250 miles so far, and no trailer time. But so far I'm liking the motor fine. Other little things about the truck really suck, tho....

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,583
Campfire Regular
Offline
Campfire Regular
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,583
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Only 250 miles so far, and no trailer time. But so far I'm liking the motor fine. Other little things about the truck really suck, tho....

What don’t you like? Just curious


Rob
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 22,728
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 22,728
The dash is curved and the 'tray' area too small to accommodate a rifle scope, not conducive to tossing a rifle on, as it wants to bounce and slide all over the place. The frigging mirrors are too high and hard to fold, to use as a rifle rest. No fugging reason they couldn't have set them 4-5 inches lower, as it would allow a smaller/safer blindspot and you could see over them. I can live with the pushbutton 4WD, but a stupid electric pushbutton E-brake? Give me a pedal to stomp, or a lever to pull... Radio's without knobs? WTF?

P.S., I'm still missing my dimmer switches on the floor....grin

Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 22,728
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 22,728
And the hood is too high. Hard to see over.....

Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 17,105
Campfire Ranger
Offline
Campfire Ranger
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 17,105
I also hate all the electronic e-brakes. On the F150 and Camry we own. The Camry activates when you put it in Park.


Now with even more aplomb
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 22,728
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 22,728
Another thing I've found that I absolutely hate about these trucks is, the fugking headrests slope forward. They are not removeable OR reverseable. Can't wear a cowboy hat in them. Screw chevy.....

On a side note, I did get the truck steps on, and grab handles on the headache rack. Big Sky overhead rifle rack will go on as soon as it gets here and the roofmount spotlight whenever I get it off the old truck and get a warm day.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,583
Campfire Regular
Offline
Campfire Regular
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,583
The head rest is removable, at least in mine I can. Mines a LT model. It is a pain to wear a cowboy hat in them I agree.

Originally Posted by huntsman22
Another thing I've found that I absolutely hate about these trucks is, the fugking headrests slope forward. They are not removeable OR reverseable. Can't wear a cowboy hat in them. Screw chevy.....

On a side note, I did get the truck steps on, and grab handles on the headache rack. Big Sky overhead rifle rack will go on as soon as it gets here and the roofmount spotlight whenever I get it off the old truck and get a warm day.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Last edited by harv3589; 12/21/22.

Rob
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 22,728
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 22,728
yours must not be a 2022 with vinyl seats.....

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,583
Campfire Regular
Offline
Campfire Regular
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,583
Originally Posted by huntsman22
yours must not be a 2022 with vinyl seats.....

It’s a 2022 with cloth….


Rob
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,583
Campfire Regular
Offline
Campfire Regular
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,583
So your head rest isn’t adjustable at all?


Rob
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 22,728
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 22,728
Yeah. It goes up and down. Cannot be flipped or removed.

Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 4,168
Campfire Tracker
Offline
Campfire Tracker
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 4,168
They are removable (and probably can be flipped as well).


Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,583
Campfire Regular
Offline
Campfire Regular
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,583
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Yeah. It goes up and down. Cannot be flipped or removed.

I bet they can be removed. Push the button to move them up and down and on the other post there will be another button that’s flush with the plastic piece the headrest goes into. Blends in well. Push both and pull it out.


Rob
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 22,728
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 22,728
Thanks. I'll try that tomorrow. Was just going by what it said in the manual....

Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 4,168
Campfire Tracker
Offline
Campfire Tracker
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 4,168
You bet. They don’t *want* you to remove them, but they have to be so they can replace the upholstery.

Last edited by K1500; 12/21/22.
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 22,728
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 22,728
Got 'em flipped. Just like the video.... Thanks 1500.
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 32,129
Campfire 'Bwana
Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 32,129
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Got 'em flipped. Just like the video.... Thanks 1500.
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

I had to do the same thing to my Super Duty.


Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 4,168
Campfire Tracker
Offline
Campfire Tracker
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 4,168
You are welcome, glad it worked. They are a pita to wear a cowboy hat in the regular way.

Joined: Jan 2020
Posts: 2,728
T
Campfire Regular
Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Joined: Jan 2020
Posts: 2,728
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
23 year old me bought a new 93 Dodge just because I wanted it.
$1/gal diesel and 20mpg, it penciled out well against most full size
trucks then. No contest against a big block.

Still have it.



30 years later.

Diesel is more expensive than gas, EPA has ruined the mpg, DEF,
The lack of reliability, initial expense.......

The performance of modern gas engines.


One would have to be an idiot to buy a diesel today unless really heavy
pulling at grade was frequent.

I believe that I'm on my last diesel now. Outside of the fart box (travel trailer) most of my trailer towing is within 150 miles of home these days. The price of diesel is pushing me towards a gasser a little more each day. My next truck will be a Chevrolet 6.6 gasser


Just because you're offended doesn't mean your right.
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,201
B
byd Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,201
2024 GMC/Chevy 10 speed transmission behind 6.6 gas

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,583
Campfire Regular
Offline
Campfire Regular
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,583
The 2024 Chev with the 10 spd Allison paired up with the gasser will be a nice truck I think and pull well.


Rob
Joined: Jan 2020
Posts: 5,098
T
Campfire Tracker
Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Joined: Jan 2020
Posts: 5,098
We run 4 diesel trucks and the price of diesel really pizzes me off. But I sure can't see where buying a new gas truck can be more cost effective than my paid for diesel truck.


Life is good live it while you can.
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,583
Campfire Regular
Offline
Campfire Regular
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,583
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Got 'em flipped. Just like the video.... Thanks 1500.
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Flipped mine today and works just fine now with a cowboy hat on.

I was wrong the front seat is like the video and the rear seat has the buttons. But got it done.


Rob
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,266
Campfire Regular
Offline
Campfire Regular
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,266
When I got the f250 with the 7.3 gas I couldn't believe how light the front end felt.... or how heavy the diesel is. Definitely feels more nimble off road than the diesels.

Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 25,969
A
Campfire Ranger
Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 25,969
Originally Posted by K1500
The new Chevy 2500’s went from a 6L90 to the new ‘Allison’ 10 speed, same as the diesel. I would assume a transmission they put behind a diesel would hold up well behind the gasser.

Yes, and going to the Allison is a smart move. The 6.6 gasser that's in Huntsman's truck has been getting good reviews from guys around here. Of course, we'll see what it's like after 150k.......


Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 23,268
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 23,268
Now If Chevy would make a 4500/5500 that looked like a normal Fugkin truck like Ford and Dodge.

Apparently they’re stopping production of the express/savana vans after next year too. Only option will be an EV platform.



Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 6,098
S
Campfire Tracker
Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 6,098
Originally Posted by Windfall
You mean that even the 1 ton rated trucks today have automatic hubs? I don’t even trust them on my half ton and up until recently the manual hubs were on the 3/4 ton Fords. I’m old so old school seemed just fine for me when I needed 4wd. If I got my feet muddy getting out and turning in the front hubs, that was on me for not being smart enough to realize that they should have been engaged already.
How recently? My 22 F250 has locking hubs with auto engagement. I think I want to delete the auto engagement though because there are times when I want use 4 low without locking the front axle.

Last edited by smarquez; 02/03/23.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 6,098
S
Campfire Tracker
Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 6,098
Originally Posted by flintlocke
My son's employer (forest management) is a fleet buyer. They gave up on diesels long ago, just didn't pencil out. Since they went gas, they have tried Dodge, GMC, and now Ford. None seems better than another, so far. Dodges ate cams and lifters after warranty. GMC's transmission failures after warranty, Fords are just now getting up past warranty and it's not looking good. Every truck has had automatic 4x4 hub failure (warranty), broken windshields from ill fitting body panels (warranty denied), multiple wiring harness connector failures, cab leaks, excessive tire wear (warranty denied). Company policy has evolved to try to roll the fleet over at 200,000. They put on a lot of miles in a year. I'm not pushing any brand of pickup here, just passing it on. Word is company is regretting providing pickups, used to be employee supplied pickup and was reimbursed mileage, but the workmen's insurance carrier said don't do that for legal reasons.
Yeah, employee driven trucks get hammered. It's not like they are making insurance and car payments on it.


Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 7,818
J
Campfire Outfitter
Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 7,818
Quote
My 22 F250 has locking hubs with auto engagement. I think I want to delete the auto engagement though because there are times when I want use 4 low without locking the front axle.

I've had manual locking hubs fail too. As long as you use 4X4 on a regular basis to keep everything lubricated automatic hubs do pretty good. The only time I've seen either type fail was when they weren't used for a long time and the lack of lubrication prevented them from locking when needed.

I've owned a 4x4 of some sort since 1976. Back when there were 3 sticks in the floor and manual locking hubs it was easy to use 2wd low range. But they used to put warning labels in the cab warning drivers not to. I watched one person snap a U-Joint doing that. I suppose if you're careful and just need to go slow and aren't trying to pull much weight in 2wd low it would be OK.


Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 22,728
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 22,728
boss bought another gasser for me. A 2015 F-250 6.2. Needed a plowtruck so that's what he found for me. Gotta pull/swap the flatbed off the blown '08, but I'll wait till it's warmer and drier out.....

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 6,098
S
Campfire Tracker
Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 6,098
Originally Posted by JMR40
Quote
My 22 F250 has locking hubs with auto engagement. I think I want to delete the auto engagement though because there are times when I want use 4 low without locking the front axle.

I've had manual locking hubs fail too. As long as you use 4X4 on a regular basis to keep everything lubricated automatic hubs do pretty good. The only time I've seen either type fail was when they weren't used for a long time and the lack of lubrication prevented them from locking when needed.

I've owned a 4x4 of some sort since 1976. Back when there were 3 sticks in the floor and manual locking hubs it was easy to use 2wd low range. But they used to put warning labels in the cab warning drivers not to. I watched one person snap a U-Joint doing that. I suppose if you're careful and just need to go slow and aren't trying to pull much weight in 2wd low it would be OK.
With my 85 Suburban with Warn manuals, I would only do it backing into tight or steep places with my trailer hooked up. I'd be surprised if I ever went more than 40' at a time.

Last edited by smarquez; 02/09/23.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
185 members (160user, 44mc, 338reddog, 10Glocks, 100grNP, 17 invisible), 1,171 guests, and 885 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums80
Topics1,182,018
Posts18,296,885
Members73,633
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023


 







Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5
(Release build 20201027)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 7.3.33 Page Time: 0.105s Queries: 14 (0.005s) Memory: 1.0911 MB (Peak: 1.4457 MB) Data Comp: Zlib Server Time: 2024-02-22 11:07:11 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS