Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
So in 2019 Costco was getting pressure at their annual stockholders' meeting to "wake up" and do something about their products produced by prison labor.

Specifically in the U.S. they were being accused because of the racial makeup of our nation's prison population to perpetuating "slave labor" if anything they sold was produced by less-than-market compensated laborers in prisons.

By 2020 Costco passed a policy to reject such contracts, and the Deer Lodge men's state prison in Montana was targeted by Costco. Costco held a contract lucrative to both the warehouse store system and the prison selling their diary product's to Costco stores across Montana (and perhaps neighboring states) under the Darigold label. Costco's contract with the prison dairy was terminated. Deer Lodge prison had to sell most of their dairy herd, maintaining only enough cows to supply prisoner's meals.

And suddenly the Deer Lodge prison had a large sucking sound in their budget. A call was put out to fellow Montana state agencies to be creative in ways to plug the fiscal gap.

In on a white horse rides the Director's office of Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks. They propose building a pheasant hatchery to raise and release on public lands 50,000 pheasants a year, using funds raised from hunter license sales combined with a majority of monies raised by the feds via the 11% tax on retail firearms and ammo sales. The pheasants are to be raised and released free-of-charge on public lands (where there are usually already wild pheasants), 90%+ are expected to die of starvation/predation or shooting by Jan. 1, and half the birds are hens which are illegal to shoot regardless (50% waste right there). Recall that Montana already has one of the most revered wild pheasant populations in the nation delivering far superior birds to the gun without subsidy.

So a commercially profitable income stream from dairy production is shifted by Costco's policy change intended to prevent the perpetuation of "slave labor" in Montana, to catalyze a $1mil./yr. full-loss expenditure by Montana's game agency of funds raised exclusively from hunting license sales and taxes on retail gun and ammo sales. It doesn't matter what party you like, hate, or vote for, or whether you don't like or think it is OK to release pen pheasants on public ground... this is a travesty.

Last edited by GrouseChaser; 12/08/22. Reason: typos
BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
In the last presidential election, who did you vote for?

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
If that's all you have to bitch about regarding MTFWP, you haven't done much looking. That pheasant program is a drop in the ocean.

I wish you all would figure out that government is a [bleep] scam. It would make reality far easier to discuss.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We're from the government; and we're here to help..........

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Fugk Costco. But whatever your gripe is ,they’re really listening to you whine on the internet about it.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
I'm not whining about it... I'm just sharing a largely unknown story of how hunter's and shooter's license and tax dollars are being used to "fix" a situation caused by Costco's "woke" policy.

Last edited by GrouseChaser; 12/08/22.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’ve been on both sides of the equation. I used to sell fish to the stores in and around Denver, until the state prison came in and under sold me and pushed me out of the market. With no labor cost to speak of and no capital costs their operating budget was such there was no way I could compete.

So, I started selling them their fingerlings, and made lemonade from the lemons. That is until their other, major, customer (Whole Foods) got publicly embarrassed for buying “prison labor” goods and Whole Foods cancelled that contract. Bye-bye fingerling sales.

Now I’m back to supplying fish to the stores. Whiplash, I’m telling you.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Fugk Costco. But whatever your gripe is ,they’re really listening to you whine on the internet about it.
And I don't give a fugh if Costco ever sees this or learns anything from it (they won't). But I am thinking people like you will learn something. Maybe not?

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by GrouseChaser
I'm not whining about it... I'm just sharing a largely unknown story of how hunter's and shooter's license and tax dollars are being used to "fix" a situation caused by Costco's "woke" policy.

you're ok supporting politicians that want to ban guns and hunting but suddenly now you're worried about pheasants? I hunt pheasants and the replant a lot in Montana I would hardly describe the pheasant hunting s great.

You do know peasants aren't even a native bird in America

Ironically Costco loves its Asian slave labor producers because of their yeller skin. . No white slaves though lol

Last edited by ribka; 12/08/22.
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by ribka

you're ok supporting politicians that want to ban guns and hunting but suddenly now you're worried about pheasants? I hunt pheasants and the replant a lot in Montana I would hardly describe the pheasant hunting s great.

You do know peasants aren't even a native bird in America

Ironically Costco loves its Asian slave labor producers because of their yeller skin. . No white slaves though lol
Dang, you are distracted. Who have I ever said I support that wants to ban hunting guns and hunting? And you are amazingly biologically correct- pheasants are not native birds, and neither are Hungarian partridge (what was my first clue?). My blood gets up whenever I hunt either of them (which won't be until tomorrow).

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
How many phez do you figure Jon Tester can eat in a single sitting?

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

I’d really like to know the answer to this question before I judge the authenticity of the OP.

G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by efw

I’d really like to know the answer to this question before I judge the authenticity of the OP.
"Judgement shall not be your's" said the Lord.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Backroads
How many phez do you figure Jon Tester can eat in a single sitting?

I have yet to pull the trigger on a phez this year. Probably saw 30-40 birds today at work which is actually low but....

Chitty cover(drought hoppers) and they flush way out there. Spent very little time actually hunting this fall.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by efw

"Judgement shall not be your's" said the Lord.

So you voted for Biden.

That makes you a piece of [bleep].

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Blaming Costco for your new pheasant hatching program seems like quite a stretch.

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Notwithstanding the interesting (?) sidetracks of this thread, thanks for the info. Thanks for the heads-up on the Costco woke b.s. and for yet another example of the most mismanaged organization in this state. Both actions are absurd.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by Nebraska
Blaming Costco for your new pheasant hatching program seems like quite a stretch.

Especially when he voted for a woke politician in THE WOKE Party for Pres.

Seems self indicting to then lament that same wokeness in a retailer.

Derp

G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Without Costco's change in policy, the felony pheasant hatchery would never have been funded (with sportsmen's dollars) or built in Deer Lodge.

G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Without Costco's change in policy, the felony pheasant hatchery would never have been funded (with sportsmen's dollars) or built in Deer Lodge.
Originally Posted by efw

Especially when he voted for a woke politician in THE WOKE Party for Pres.

Seems self indicting to then lament that same wokeness in a retailer.

Derp
It was actually a Republican Gov. that called for it, his appointees on the wildlife commission that approved it, and his party's legislative committees that voted it through.
And a Democrat-appointed agency passed the gun/ammo tax funds to the project, so I hold no party blameless. I'd suggest Biden was clueless.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
691 members (12308300, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 71 invisible), 2,791 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,634
Posts18,398,877
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.