Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Sitting on a piece of public deer hunting right now. I squirrel hunted this spot three times this early fall. In those three hunts I shot one squirrel and saw two others.

I can see four grey squirrels and two reds.

Somehow they know I have a deer rifle instead of the .22

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
I have seen the same thing hunting public land here in Connecticut. And I have seen deer when squirrel hunting to.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I noticed the same thing last week. When deer hunting slows down in the coming weeks, I am going squirrel hunting. I could have killed more from my box stand recently than I could have in October when I was chasing them on purpose.

Now with even more aplomb
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by JPro
I noticed the same thing last week. When deer hunting slows down in the coming weeks, I am going squirrel hunting. I could have killed more from my box stand recently than I could have in October when I was chasing them on purpose.

You won't see any when you're after them lol

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You may very well be right! May do more sitting and waiting on them versus hiking around.

Now with even more aplomb
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The first time I ever went deer hunting was in 1964. A neighbor had told my father that some deer had been seen in a woods that joined our farm, so I went there, Didn't see a deer, but saw more squirrels in that place than I'd ever seen before. They were every where I looked, I'm guessing I saw at least a hundred. I went back the next afternoon with my shotgun, deciding that squirrel hunting would be more fruitful than deer hunting, and never saw a squirrel. I happened to mention it to an older fellow in the community and he said that what I'd seen was a squirrel migration. I didn't really believe him at the time, but I have seen it again, so it does happen.

I bow hunted a place one fall that had a bunch of squirrels, and I packed a slingshot with me and would shoot at them with it. Never hit one, but did manage to scare a few.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Boca, your not at Grand River are you? I had the same problem with!!!

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
You may very well be right! May do more sitting and waiting on them versus hiking around.
Only way to kill em.

Sit down in an area and give it an hour or so.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Funny how they come out when you're deer hunting. It's almost like they know. I never tried this yet but I once heard someone suggest that when squirrel hunting I should just sit at the base of a tree in blaze orange. I ought to try it someday.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Only way to kill em.

Agreed. I sit where there are hickorys, oaks and beech trees and within an hour they're on the ground moving about. Shoot one and within 30 minutes or so they're back. They don't have long memories.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Apparently all the squirrels are in my backyard. This is #73, 74, 75, and 76 for the year.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Around here they been spotty, bunch in 1 some places not very many in others this year. They good time passers when deer hunting, gives you something to watch.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like to watch them too. We have several here in the yard on clean up under the bird feeder and they look pretty meaty this time of year. They do liven up the winter though bouncing around in the trees and chasing one another. The red squirrels around the cottage all get a .22 hollow-point if I see them because they chase out the gray ones and eat the bird eggs in the spring. I used to de-squirrel my hunting areas, but now I use them to see how well my camo is working and my early warning system for anything headed my way. You have to figure that being a squirrel is a pretty mundane existence, so seeing a deer is probably the highlight of their day. Mine too given the devoid of deer places that I hunt in the NF.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Easily explained. When deer hunting, you are much more likely to sit really still, the best way to successfully hunt squirrels too.

I have a whole passel of dependent squirrels in my yard. They’re fat and sassy, several are nearly tame. Pretty sure one or two recognize the word “peanut”. Only trouble they’ve caused is when they ate all the buds off a camellia one year. Now we take action against that. When they hear me take the lid off the metal trash can I keep the bird food in, they come running. I leave the ones in the woods alone too anymore. Rather watch them than skin them.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Only way to kill em.

Agreed. I sit where there are hickorys, oaks and beech trees and within an hour they're on the ground moving about. Shoot one and within 30 minutes or so they're back. They don't have long memories.
People want to wander through the woods. Can't kill many squirrels.up stomping around in their living rooms.

Don't forget, from 40' up in a tree they see you long before you get to them and they either hole up or go the other way.

Sit in a spot, shoot one or 2, do not retrieve them and give it an hour. If nothing happens go to a spot where you had seen some that were out of range of your previous spot.

I can have one 25 yards away while I am deer hunting, raise an arm or something and he may get the hell out of Dodge. They are far from dumb.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
All the good squirrel hunters I know move slowly through the woods.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Squirrels will be wherever the food is

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
All the good squirrel hunters I know move slowly through the woods.

That's how it works when you want to fill the skillet.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I walked 6 miles collectively last Wed-Thu & bagged two fat Fox Squirrels in the state park. I come out of the woods into the campsites & there must have been 20 in a 30 yard radius.

They know where their bread is buttered. Seriously, in the woods, it was tough work for two.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
You can see plenty, assuming they’re in the area, by still-hunting just as you would deer. The problem is keeping that same level of focus and stealth for such a small potential reward. Early in the season, a lot of them will be aloft and the trees still in leaf, which makes it tougher obviously.

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

444 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 160user, 10ring1, 59 invisible), 1,895 guests, and 1,211 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,216
Posts18,447,389
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.