Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Remove a key component of a dog’s endocrine system? Why not? All most people do with their dogs is trip over them and clean up after them anyway.

Mathew 22: 37-39

GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Mossy
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Don't you hate that [bleep]? Vets are now indoctrinated to constantly push for it, too.

Interestingly enough our vet advised us to wait 18-24 months before we neutered our Lab. Jaeger is 4 now and our vet still hasn’t pushed to have him neutered. Never says a word other than how healthy is.
There are exceptions to every rule.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Pappy348
One of the reasons I bought a male Lab some years ago was because my Previous was a bit uncomfortable about staying alone while I was working nights. We kept him intact to preserve his “edge” as a protector, not that Labs are generally known for being great security dogs. He was never allowed to roam and and never had “issue”, nor gave us any trouble by being aggressive, ever. He’s long gone, as is the Previous.

Once while I was walking him at the local ballfield, a lady came over to pet him. She was pleasant enough, but then asked me in a very annoying tone, “And WHY hasn’t he been neutered?”, like it was any of her fugging business. I replied, “He and I discussed this and he said that if I let him keep his testicles, he’d let me keep mine”.
You hit that one out of the park pappy. At 67 it's been my experience that females are nervous about males be they 2 or 4 legged that can fug anywhere anytime they get the chance. Keeping men on a leash are what women seem to be about these days..mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Yes, unless you will enjoy watching the dog hump your daughter's leg or lick his nuts. It is BS that it gives them an edge as a protector. Every dog I have had for over 50 years has been spayed or neutered. Every one has been very protective. Sometimes overly. Male or female. Especially for my wife. Our present one, a lab cross from a rescue, would die for her and no one can touch my wife. Even I have to be careful not to surprise the dog. If it is just me and the dog, it is every man for himself.

I am not an animal rights activist or left liberal, but go down to a pound some day and see how many dogs they put to sleep each week because an irresponsible pet owner didn't want spay or neuter their dog. Responsible breeders excluded.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
My ex SIL had a tom cat that she found as a kitten. She had him neutered and he put on a ton of weight and slept 18 hours a day.

IC B2

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
After they have reached their growth potential, yes. But not before. They need their hormones to develop correctly.

At 18-24 months he should be good to go.

This!
I have had boxers and English bull dogs in the past. Had two litters from each. Always told the new owners to wait at least a year. 2 be better.
At least one heat for the females and wait to get closer to the second one if you must fix her that soon.
The dogs need their hormones to develop properly.
Ones who have waited their dogs looked great.
The ones who believed their vet, their dog didn’t look the same and had health issues and structure wasn’t the same.

Last edited by Dre; 12/08/22.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
After they have reached their growth potential, yes. But not before. They need their hormones to develop correctly.

At 18-24 months he should be good to go.

Bingo.

Plus...corgies are ássholes.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Ask the dog.

Find out how they identify.

Black Cows Matter!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Get him a nut job, he'll be a much better dog for you.

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
You say that you don't plan to breed it, but all male dogs have their own plans. Neuter him.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by NDsnowman
You say that you don't plan to breed it, but all male dogs have their own plans. Neuter him.

If you don't own intact females and keep your dog under control (as all dog owners should) his plans don't mean sh.it

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just say NO unless your mutt develops traits you find undesirable then decide.

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Mossy
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Don't you hate that [bleep]? Vets are now indoctrinated to constantly push for it, too.

Interestingly enough our vet advised us to wait 18-24 months before we neutered our Lab. Jaeger is 4 now and our vet still hasn’t pushed to have him neutered. Never says a word other than how healthy is.

I've got a 5 yo lab and I've put it off, he's seems to be just fine, our gsp girl is fixed and he'll ride her on occasion but I cant stand her anyway, he can have at it. I do have a friend who'll bring his daughters over on occasion, I do have to be watchful when they are around. My last lab lived 10 years with his balls intact, my vet though says you'll get a few more if you take them out...

Old county I lived in it was actually mandatory for you to have your dog fixed.

Last edited by killerv; 12/09/22.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by JeffA
Just say NO unless your mutt develops traits you find undesirable then decide.
I agree with this. No reason to do it if you keep your dog under control, and he's not showing problematic behavior (or having medical problems) associated with high testosterone.

That's the way I've always done it. My male Doberman (gone since 2001) kept his till he was middle aged and started pissing blood. Vet said it was the high testosterone that was causing it, and it could lead to serious issues if he wasn't neutered, so I agreed.

My Pitbull (gone since 2011) kept his for about three years. Fixed male dogs would see him and attack him for no apparent reason. Vet said it was because he was intact, and they could smell it. He said fixing him would solve the issue. It didn't.

My Old English Bulldog (now middle aged) kept his till he was three. I finally agreed to have it done due to his constant obsession with humping my female half Pitbull (now 12.5 years old). It was making life miserable for her. His harassment of her went way down afterwards, even though he still occasionally tries to mount her. Not nearly as much, though.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Most of the guys say 2 years and then decide because it changes how the dog grows…
** City dogs have long legs because they are clipped young and instead of muscle it goes to bones… pretty wild.

I do agree with the behavior thing - but if you have female / male dogs that also comes into play

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One area of dog ownership that I feel really benefits is the rural "yard dog". Males that are snipped don't roam and/or fight nearly as much. Ones that are fenced aren't as prone to digging out either.

Now with even more aplomb
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
By far, the majority are saying "yes". It seems like most are saying that based on the behavior effects with not much mention of it being done for long term health reasons?

My last lab was intact his whole 15 yrs of life. He was calm and I never saw him hump anything other than an in-heat female. Current dog (german shorthair) just turned 3 and is still intact. Very well behaved dog. He's got is own blanket that he drags around the house and rolls up in. Every so often, he rolls it up in the middle of the living room floor and goes to town with it for us all to watch.

He is a fantastic dog (one of the best I've ever had), so we are keeping him intact with the hopes of breeding him one day so we can keep one of his offspring.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Not...
Let the damn neighbors have their mutts fixed.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I wasn't going to fix my Pitbull (gone since summer of 2011), because the only behavior being intact caused was his habit of humping his bed. Apart from that, he was about as good a dog as anyone could hope for.

The vet talked me into it eventually by telling me that it would make fixed male dogs less likely to attack him, which was a problem I was having. As I said earlier, that actually didn't work. They still attacked him.

I think he was attacked so often because of how he held himself rather than because he smelled of testosterone. When a dominant male would come by, he'd usually expect other male dogs to expose their bellies and wag their tails, and that would prevent being attacked. My dog held his head high, and ignored dominant dogs that came over to him, which seemed to enrage them into attacking him. So there was no reason at all to have had him fixed. Wasted pain and money.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I would.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

523 members (1OntarioJim, 224th, 222Sako, 204guy, 222ND, 10gaugeman, 39 invisible), 1,957 guests, and 1,112 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,064
Posts18,463,464
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.