24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
... and the vast majority of hunters could get along fine with a bullet that has the BC of a sideways piece of dog crap and never know the difference.
Myself included. laugh

BP-B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Not that the 260 has anything over the creed, which it really doesn't, just like the cartridge is all. I suggested that 6.5x55 se, and believe it to be the best 6.5 of all the non magnums. Also I've pulled the trigger on a 6.5-06 more times than I can count and was pretty impressed with it. But I bet you can shoot that 260 and never tell the difference on game from a 6.5-06. Creed might be the way to go. I just don't see why you'd shoot a 7-08 over a 260 rem. 140 is 140 bullet wise. Just my opinion.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Also, mag length, short action, long action, whatever. B.C. really don't come into play with a youth rifle or for a young hunter. It's not like they are gonna be taking long shots at game. Shots are generally gonna be inside 100 yards. So basically if it ignites powder and pushes a bullet out of the barrel, it will work with a good bullet. My son, like I said earlier just shoots a .243 win with a 100 grain bullet and inside 200 it's done if it hits chest cavity. But when he gets older and can shoot more efficiently I will rebarrel that gun to a 260. Go grab the caliber you feel is the best and have at it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Coyote10
Also, mag length, short action, long action, whatever. B.C. really don't come into play with a youth rifle or for a young hunter. It's not like they are gonna be taking long shots at game. Shots are generally gonna be inside 100 yards. So basically if it ignites powder and pushes a bullet out of the barrel, it will work with a good bullet. My son, like I said earlier just shoots a .243 win with a 100 grain bullet and inside 200 it's done if it hits chest cavity. But when he gets older and can shoot more efficiently I will rebarrel that gun to a 260. Go grab the caliber you feel is the best and have at it.

+1

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
260 rem if you can find one.

I was at a cookout and a kid in his early 20s got to telling me about a m77 compact 260 he had, I told him sight unseen that I'd give him 600 bucks for it, dude left and came back with it. Score! Sweet round.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Those little M77 Compact rifles are good candidates for a suppressor.

Now with even more aplomb
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by JPro
Those little M77 Compact rifles are good candidates for a suppressor.

Barrel thick enough for the 5/4 threading?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd think you could get by with 1/2" threads, but a caliper might be useful to see for sure. With a .264 bore, the 1/2" threads should result in a wall that is strong enough for a hunting rifle.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
That's a sweet little rifle. Nice find.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
.260's work for old farts, too.

[Linked Image]

The low BC of a Hornady bullet (made before they were called Interlocks) was no hinderance at 60 yards.

IC B3

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by JPro
I'd think you could get by with 1/2" threads, but a caliper might be useful to see for sure. With a .264 bore, the 1/2" threads should result in a wall that is strong enough for a hunting rifle.

Ran across this

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, you will get varying opinions on the 1/2" threads, especially if talking 7mm and 30cal. Still, several members here have mentioned going that route on Montana's and the like, with no ill effects. They aren't semi-auto battle rifles. If all I could manage on an existing 6.5mm was 1/2" and it would greatly improve the usefulness of the rifle, I would do it. But that's just me. Having no idea how small the OD of the muzzle is, you might even need a collar for acceptable shoulder engagement.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Teeder
.260's work for old farts, too.

[Linked Image]

The low BC of a Hornady bullet (made before they were called Interlocks) was no hinderance at 60 yards.

Great buck! Love the mass.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That entirely depends on the youth and how they spend their time in preparation.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Agree on the preparation. But you can prepare with a 22 long rifle.
Ballistic coefficient, twist rate, cartridge length, seating depth and all that jazz don't matter at all with a youngster shooting game within 200 yards.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Ww1
Ballistic coefficient, twist rate, cartridge length, seating depth and all that jazz don't matter at all with a youngster shooting game within 200 yards.
^ ^ ^ ^ this

JMHO- if the kid can hold and carry their own
rifle, they're likely grown up enough to use one
and hunt deer. I see a lot of people in my area
that ask about hunting guns for kids that have
barely mastered walking around and can't use
the adult toilet yet. Many still aren't mature
enough even after that

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Agree with your statement, but disagree that those are necessary constraints for all young shooters/hunters. Sure, they can practice with a .22 and limit their shots to 200 yards, but they can also practice and prepare with CF rifles, get involved in local PRS-style matches, etc., as they are getting into hunting. I've seen a young boy that did exactly that take his first deer at 70 meters from a solid rest. The next day he took his second deer at 355 meters, with some wind, from a standing position while holding the rifle against the side of a straw bale; a position that he had practiced a bunch and used successfully in PRS-style matches, in the wind, out to 500 meters. It doesn't hurt that he was set up with a rifle/scope/bullet/load combination that he can use in practice/competition as well as on game.

If the young person is prepared and practiced with a rifle, they can be capable of taking advantage of slippery bullets where BC, twist rate, mag length, etc., does matter.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
From my experience with my son, I have limited him to 200 yards thus far. He is only 8. When he progresses at ethically taking game I will give him a longer leash on shots he can try. But a 350 yard shot for him right now is out of the question. And he has killed quite a few deer. But hey whatever the responsible adult with the kid thinks, then go for it. Each their own.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Ready
Asking the young gentleman, which of the two, or the rifle, he wants, may just be the way to go.

As an aside, and just because I want to talk about it, and nothing you can do about that, here is a thought on a gun for a young hunter:

Whay not start with a singleshot?

[Linked Image from content.wirjagen.de]

Bought such one in .308 Win. for my 14 year old. My idea was, to benefit from the virtual impossibility of any user induced mishaps.
Rifle is carried unloaded and loaded on stand. Rifle per default is uncocked until you get ready to shoot. After the shot, rilfe is obviously safe - as the cartridge is spent and the gun can not be opened while cocked.

To screw up, one would have to set aside a cocked rifle - thats about it. While realizing that we should never rely on mechanics to safety - complexity adds to the pressure.

Good on y'all getting young guys shooting.
That rifle likely has a transfer bar. So even if dropping it somehow let the hammer fall, it won’t go off unless the trigger is held back.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Not that the 260 has anything over the creed, which it really doesn't, just like the cartridge is all. I suggested that 6.5x55 se, and believe it to be the best 6.5 of all the non magnums. Also I've pulled the trigger on a 6.5-06 more times than I can count and was pretty impressed with it. But I bet you can shoot that 260 and never tell the difference on game from a 6.5-06. Creed might be the way to go. I just don't see why you'd shoot a 7-08 over a 260 rem. 140 is 140 bullet wise. Just my opinion.
Is the PRC a magnum?

I don’t need a new rifle. But the 6.5 PRC looks real appealing. I mean if someone wants to buy into the long range game, it’s a fairly docile high speed high BC round.

Picking a 7-08, Swede, 260, or 6.5-06 is going to favor the reloader anyway. And choices in new rifles would likely favor the 6.5 PRC.

The 7-08 probably wins in a compact rifle over the rest though. Because it is maybe the most efficient of this group with a short barrel.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
472 members (160user, 17CalFan, 222Sako, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 1lessdog, 40 invisible), 2,470 guests, and 1,074 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,733
Posts18,400,955
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.