Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
P
pdcrig Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
I've been a gun guy for 30+ years. I tinkered with, bought and traded, modified, repaired, read and thought about, and fell in love with them. My friends and family all new me to have a great passion for firearms. I loved steering conversion in that direction whenever I got the chance and folks would often ask my advice. I loved being the "Gun Guy." It had become part of my identity. Big problem.
I'm not saying that guns and God are incompatible. I am saying that idols and God are incompatible. It all came to a screeching halt recently. I was wrestling with God a few months ago and asked him how I could show him love. The answer came pretty clearly and almost immediately after just a short time in prayer. "If you love me you will keep my commandments" he says (John 14:15). One of those commandments is to have no other gods before him (Exodus 19:3). I asked him "Lord do I have idols that are getting in the way?" I then asked if my guns were an idol and immediately I knew the answer. The spirit convicted me right there and I reflected on all the years I had spent focused on these inanimate objects and how I had wasted so much energy on them which I could have spent getting to know my Heavenly Father better. I had allowed the blessing to become a curse. I had wasted opportunities to witness for him. I had wasted years. I was instantly remorseful. But was it guilt over slighting God or mourning over the fact that I might have to give up something precious to me? If I'm being honest I fear that it was mostly the latter. I wrestled with God for the rest of the day and did not sleep well that night. I had a sick feeling in my stomach and broke out into sweats. I tried to negotiate with God and then went through all the stages of grieving. And then it hit me; I was a gun junkie and an addict. It was the same symptoms, albeit much less severe, that a drug addict has when they are withdrawing. So right then and there I was shaken from my stupor and told God that I would give up my guns if that's what he wanted me to do. And that's what he wanted me to do. He wanted me to be a God guy instead of the "Gun Guy" that I was known for. So over these last few months I have sold or given away everything I have. I'm down to a 10/22 that I traded for which I plan to keep for the kids. It certainly is not idol worthy. But I still must guard my heart. We're not to love the world or the things in it (1John 2:15) but we are to keep ourselves from idols (1 John 5:21). I want it to be a testimony to my kids and my family and friends that God is serious about the hearts of his children. He wants us to give up the things that have become more precious than him. It has shocked some folks. God has used this situation a number of times for me to share the Gospel. He is also used it to show me other areas in my life that are not pleasing to him. It hasn't been easy. But that is fodder for another posting another day.
That's some of my journey so far. I'm not telling anyone to give up their guns. I am saying ask the Lord to show you any potential idols in your heart and then do everything that you can to get rid of them. You might not like what you hear but it is far better to not like what you hear on this side of heaven than to hear in the end "I never knew you; depart from me."
If you don't have a relationship with the Lord I encourage you to seek him. Seek him while he may be found. Time is running short and he will come again. His second coming will not be as gentle and sweet like his first. He says believe, repent, be baptized, receive the Spirit and go live for him.
I hope the Lord can use my little revelation to minister to you. Blessings to you.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Being overly-materialistic isn’t a great thing, either in terms of a relationship with God or otherwise. I’m not that. But I own, hunt with, shoot, and defend myself and others with firearms. I don’t think God would have a problem with that. But only He knows.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Reflection aint bad. Wimping out is.
Some folks mellow w age, others get fired up LOL.
Your call, your heart.

IMHO bad stuff is coming. Golf clubs aint gonna cut it.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I feel like one can have both. I have a pile of guns, but none I worship.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Next maybe you can become a Post Formatting Guy.

IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Fugk off.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Stickfight
Next maybe you can become a Post Formatting Guy.

Lol.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
OP account must have been hacked by leftist trash

GOA
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Whatever. Learn how to write coherently.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Wabi

Take care of this guy

IC B3

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Comes across as another "I lost all my guns in a boating accident" post....

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Living in Oregon is my solution to a gun addiction. The state will do the work and I can go kicking and screaming.

LOL
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
"Verily then, ye shall endeavor to only own slings and arrows capable of 1.5 moa or less...", Flint:10:4.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I am so screwed if OP is right.

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by pdcrig
I've been a gun guy for 30+ years. I tinkered with, bought and traded, modified, repaired, read and thought about, and fell in love with them. My friends and family all new me to have a great passion for firearms. I loved steering conversion in that direction whenever I got the chance and folks would often ask my advice. I loved being the "Gun Guy." It had become part of my identity. Big problem.
I'm not saying that guns and God are incompatible. I am saying that idols and God are incompatible. It all came to a screeching halt recently. I was wrestling with God a few months ago and asked him how I could show him love. The answer came pretty clearly and almost immediately after just a short time in prayer. "If you love me you will keep my commandments" he says (John 14:15). One of those commandments is to have no other gods before him (Exodus 19:3). I asked him "Lord do I have idols that are getting in the way?" I then asked if my guns were an idol and immediately I knew the answer. The spirit convicted me right there and I reflected on all the years I had spent focused on these inanimate objects and how I had wasted so much energy on them which I could have spent getting to know my Heavenly Father better. I had allowed the blessing to become a curse. I had wasted opportunities to witness for him. I had wasted years. I was instantly remorseful. But was it guilt over slighting God or mourning over the fact that I might have to give up something precious to me? If I'm being honest I fear that it was mostly the latter. I wrestled with God for the rest of the day and did not sleep well that night. I had a sick feeling in my stomach and broke out into sweats. I tried to negotiate with God and then went through all the stages of grieving. And then it hit me; I was a gun junkie and an addict. It was the same symptoms, albeit much less severe, that a drug addict has when they are withdrawing. So right then and there I was shaken from my stupor and told God that I would give up my guns if that's what he wanted me to do. And that's what he wanted me to do. He wanted me to be a God guy instead of the "Gun Guy" that I was known for. So over these last few months I have sold or given away everything I have. I'm down to a 10/22 that I traded for which I plan to keep for the kids. It certainly is not idol worthy. But I still must guard my heart. We're not to love the world or the things in it (1John 2:15) but we are to keep ourselves from idols (1 John 5:21). I want it to be a testimony to my kids and my family and friends that God is serious about the hearts of his children. He wants us to give up the things that have become more precious than him. It has shocked some folks. God has used this situation a number of times for me to share the Gospel. He is also used it to show me other areas in my life that are not pleasing to him. It hasn't been easy. But that is fodder for another posting another day.
That's some of my journey so far. I'm not telling anyone to give up their guns. I am saying ask the Lord to show you any potential idols in your heart and then do everything that you can to get rid of them. You might not like what you hear but it is far better to not like what you hear on this side of heaven than to hear in the end "I never knew you; depart from me."
If you don't have a relationship with the Lord I encourage you to seek him. Seek him while he may be found. Time is running short and he will come again. His second coming will not be as gentle and sweet like his first. He says believe, repent, be baptized, receive the Spirit and go live for him.
I hope the Lord can use my little revelation to minister to you. Blessings to you.

Now you're most certainly going to Hell:

Luke 22:36 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

And learn to use the return key.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 12/09/22.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
P
pdcrig Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by BuckHaggard
Whatever. Learn how to write coherently.

Talk to text.....

Thanks for reading.😁

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by deflave
Fugk off.

Very, very seldom do I ever quote THIS GUY as the definitive answer to a poster, but I find I have no choice…

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
It keeps coming up on this forum...

Nobody cares what you believe. And there was never a more altered book on the planet than the Bible. You may as well quote Harry Potter.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
PDCRIG, I suggest you watch this video wherein Dr. Bart Ehrman, a noted bible historian and professor of bible studies at the U. of No. Carolina, at Chapel Hill, N.C., discusses the various gospels and how and when they were composed.

Dr. Ehrman has a number of very interesting videos on You Tube speaking to the historical composing and compiling and myriad translations and reinterpretations of the gospels over the centuries after Jesus died. (Maybe you can buy back a few of you guns and enjoy them again.)

Just a suggestion.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I went through something similar, as a young man. I grew up poor and had only 2 rifles. (in the South, a .22 and a shotgun is a given!, same with pistols, ha)) A Mod 94 I bought with yardwork/hauling hay money( and full spec Model 1917 Enfield my uncle had given me. When I got older, I had a wife/twin girls, had gotten back into Church but I had more money. I started "accumulating". One morning I found myself stumped on which gun to take hunting! Later on, I prayed on it and I decided that I had plenty (wasn't over 8) and I finally pared down to five ( overlap calibers for deer/elk/etc.) I also decided that if I wanted something new/different, I would "sell one to get one". That made "me" feel better about not taking money from the family budget. I might even pick up a good deal for "trade material". Each of us have to live "with ourselves". "therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin." No one can Judge anyone, I commend you Brother! If one is able to have a walk in vault, full of all kinds of guns, and "still love/serve God", I commend you too. There is no benchmark. smile

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 12/09/22.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

259 members (348srfun, 300_savage, 338reddog, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 29 invisible), 2,277 guests, and 1,125 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,479
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.