24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The brass goat clips around the mag well.
Not the magazine

Gun Owners of America
Escapee's RV Club
Elks
Moose
ARIC

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Traveler52
The brass goat clips around the mag well.
Not the magazine

Thanks! Appreciate it!

Proper prior practice prevents piss poor performance!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Caldwell Rail mount works pretty well for me. Not on all of my rifles but most due to rail availability.

It’s pretty sweet when varmint hunting, the bag holds quite a bit of brass. I didn’t experience any melting or anything.

Sean
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have both. The brass goat is better in my experience.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
only melting I experienced on my Cadwell that the hot brass sticks to the bag sometimes, not like it's melting holes in the bag

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For more on the Brass Goat check out the Brass Catcher for Use with A Scope thread. I posted some pics of one mounted on an AR, and a post about a smaller hopper that is available for the Brass Goat.

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I tried the velcro attached units many years ago. They're better than nothing most times, but still a PITA.

Next, I tried the Caldwell unit with the rail attachment. It works pretty well, but I found it impossible to use with one-piece cantilever rail scope mounts. This led me to use Warne QD steel rings, the highest they offer. They seem to be pretty solid rings but I'm not so sure about repeatability---I haven't experimented to see just how good (or bad) they are, but I was able to install the rail attachment easily enough and bought one for each AR I owned at the time. Like others, I found that hot brass melts the fabric and I eventually ended up with holes that allowed brass to escape. I acquired another AR and bought another complete setup and just used the new bag, but it suffered the same fate. I patched the holes with duct tape applied inside and out, but that was not a good permanent solution.

I then learned of the Lyman Tac Star brass catcher and bought two and also extra rail mounts. The Tac Star is more or less immune to the melting issue, apparently, but it's not perfect. The bag does not have a wire frame to keep the bag fully open, but it works okay while hunting if you are mindful that you can spill your brass.

So now the Brass Goat appears. I've got one on order and I hope I like it as much as the rest of you guys do. We'll see. I just wish I'd known about this a long time ago because I'd only have needed one to begin with, and it appears to be a just about perfect solution. I HATE losing brass!!

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I used 1/8" hardware cloth and built a screen on the right side of my bench.
It will occasionally kick a hot brass back at you, but I'm not chasing my brass! 😉

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
I had the mesh bag with the forearm strap, so so. Save a good bit of brass but caused a few malfunctions. Bought the rail mount Caldwell & it's much better. Perfect for my Varmint model. But not all my AR's have rail space available.

Just ordered the brass goat & somehow feel really good about it, & I ain't even seen it yet. The concept seems solid anyway.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I should have mine in a couple of days. If it's as good as I expect I'll be very happy with it. I'll report my findings.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have both Caldwell bags and like the one that uses the mount and not the Velcro strap.

Have not had much trouble fitting it to rifles with different scope mounts,never shot more than 20 rounds before emptying the bag.

I got 2 bags and several of the mounts to put on other rifles.

Did find that the velcro bag works but you have to bend the steel bars to really get a snug fit around the handguard.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
going to try and mount one to my mini14, those SOB can really fling brass

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Brass goat looks like a nice design... though I would want one made with more "premium" materials for ultimate durability. I doubt the extra cost of doing so would shoo me away.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I made one out of a fishing landing net. Cut the handle off and fitted it vertically in a block of wood, with lead poured into holes bored in the bottom of the block of wood for weight/stability. Set it up right beside the AR on the bench and all the brass caught smartly. Gathering dust now that I rid myself of the AR.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I first tried the Caldwells with the velcro straps but never could keep them tight enough due to recoil and weight of the brass. Scratch that idea.
Then I went to the rail mounted bags and found out that it wouldn't mount with a cantilevered scope mount which just about all my ARs were wearing. Scratch that idea.
Next up was the Brass Goat. Wow. Best thing to come about since sliced bread. Started noticing more jams due to a case bouncing back into the chamber. Pisss on them too.
Sooo, Changed out all the cantilevered mounts and replaced them with Vortex high rings and installed the rail mount bag and finally all is right with the world again

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I use the Brass Goat - best of breed imo. I've been using it for about a year and a half.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mine came today.

It fits the receiver very well and seems to be very securely attached.

I took a photo of the inside where cases are deflected.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I believe it when someone says they've had problems with brass bouncing around and re-entering the action. I suppose that would depend on a lot of things. It may not happen at all in some circumstances. If it does happen to me, then I already have a plan: I will get some velcro tape with adhesive backing and line the inside of the shell of this thing, fuzzy side up, to minimize the bounce. If that doesn't work I'll think of something else.

I'm really happy to have one single accessory that will fit all of my ARs without extra hardware and all that rot. I hope it works as well as I think it will.

Don't be the darkness.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
not a catcher but a field expediant if your shooting from a bench, with a scope.If you wear a ball cap with the adjustable snap in back ,mot have a u shaped big hole above it ,pull scope onto scope via that big hole ,adjust bill over ejection port ,bill will catch and deflect shells down to the bench intead of outward ,away from bench

NRA Life Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Brass goat and don't look back.
I have 4 of them with 10 and 30 round holders.
Super easy to pop on, off a ar15, I use mine extensively coyote calling, at range, in -20 to 90 degree temps, no failures, no bounce back, no issues ever.
I use them on my 6.5 grendel, 224 valkyrie, 223s, 6x45, 6x6.8 rigs.
I tossed out all my bag style catchers.

Did I make you cry......boooo hooo, life goes on.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Beoceorl
For more on the Brass Goat check out the Brass Catcher for Use with A Scope thread. I posted some pics of one mounted on an AR, and a post about a smaller hopper that is available for the Brass Goat.
Thank you Sir! Just ordered one! Appreciate it!

Proper prior practice prevents piss poor performance!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
781 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 90 invisible), 3,059 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,706
Posts18,400,100
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.