W
A 2x4, or 6 nailed to a 4x4!

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I do the modern high tech aluminum tube and plywood method..... Even use it as a shooting stool
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
We had several kinds. They were cobbled together lumber, mostly 2x4s. I and brothers milked 4-5 cows, twice a day, by hand of course. Then we ran it through a separator. Mom/dad sold the cream and the skim was fed to hogs. That was in the mid 1960s. I can still smell it and absolutely hated milking those cows.

NRA Patron
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Anyone else play a radio overnight on the theory the cows would be more content?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Our cows listened to KMA exclusively.

Black Cows Matter!
IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Anyone else play a radio overnight on the theory the cows would be more content?

We kept one going in the barn all winter long. Cows only got out to water twice a day. I don't know if it kept them calm, but the first few days milk production was off. In a week they were back to normal.

No one told us what to play so we went with the Wheeling West Virginia Jamboree. Sort of a fore runner of the Grand Ole Opry. We might have had it on a bit loud and that may have disturbed the cows. Any stranger in the alley way between the stanchions did the same thing though.

Last edited by saddlesore; 12/09/22.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A 2x4, or 6 nailed to a 4x4!
I have spent some time on a stool just like that.

kw

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dale06
We had several kinds. They were cobbled together lumber, mostly 2x4s. I and brothers milked 4-5 cows, twice a day, by hand of course. Then we ran it through a separator. Mom/dad sold the cream and the skim was fed to hogs. That was in the mid 1960s. I can still smell it and absolutely hated milking those cows.
You just described my youth and what we did for a 35 cent a week allowance.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What we had. A two leg stool out of two by fours. We milked two to three cows daily for family use. Mine and my Grandfathers. I only milked in the afternoon. Hogs, dogs and cats got the excess. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dad and one of his uncles decided to go into the dairy business, back in 1949. They built a 4 stall dairy barn, bought the equipment and cows, and ran the business for a couple of years. His uncle died from a heart attack and Dad's aunt didn't want to fool with the dairy, so all was sold, except the bench that the milk cans set on and the milking stool. The bench is gone, but we still got the metal milking stool.

This is not a pic of my stool, but one like it.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I could never figure out the fascination with falling on one's ass.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
John, John, John, one rests the top of ones head on the cow's flank, so as to not fall over.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
John, John, John, one rests the top of ones head on the cow's flank, so as to not fall over.

That sure minds me. Usually after milking in the morning, we would not shower and only changed clothes. All the farm kids got sat in the back of the room because the city kids said we smelled like cows.

When I was in 7th grade, we were in a one room wood building next to the grade school because the middle school was being built. It was heated by a coal burning stove much like the old pot bellied stoves. It was in the front of the room and all us farm kids were in back. Froze our butts off in the winter

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Yep - you put your head into the flank, leaned forward, and the damned stool skidded out behind you.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by saddlesore

That sure minds me. Usually after milking in the morning, we would not shower and only changed clothes. All the farm kids got sat in the back of the room because the city kids said we smelled like cows.

When I was in 7th grade, we were in a one room wood building next to the grade school because the middle school was being built. It was heated by a coal burning stove much like the old pot bellied stoves. It was in the front of the room and all us farm kids were in back. Froze our butts off in the winter

Fourth grade: building was heated by steam radiators. Some rooms were cold, while others were rented out to Satan as auxiliary housing. Our room was one of those. We always dried our wet gloves from recess on them. We left the room for an assembly program. When returned, the gloves, as always, were next to scorched. Unfortunately, Billy Beesaw's gloves were rather heavily caked from the morning's chores. There was a segment of the class who found the odor somewhat offensive.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
We started out with thirty or so cows on a flat barn using the big round Surge buckets. So didn't get too much use out of a stool. When we had to, we squatted down between the cows.

And no. you didn't put your head in the cow's flank to keep your balance or anything .

You put it there because it would give you an early warning of when a kick was coming.

Also kept the tail out of your face.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Then there was the town kid on a visit to the farm, "If that's were milk comes from, I'm not drinking it anymore." laugh

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Oh, and yes, I did get my kicks. laugh

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Then there was the town kid on a visit to the farm, "If that's were milk comes from, I'm not drinking it anymore." laugh

We had one that came out and said "I love the smell of the barn"

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Back when, I thought the town kids had all the fun, shoot baskets in friend's drive ways, drink Coke at the drugstore after school.

Me, just riding horse, driving Jeep, shooting rifle, and shotgun. laugh

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
717 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 11point, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 160user, 91 invisible), 2,713 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,890
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.