Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
T_O_M Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
I'm starting to plan a hoped-for trip in early July of 2023. The area was burned, re-burned, and some re-re-burned. I don't think there are trees enough for hammock camping though possibly some of the re-growth in the burns might be big enough. The ground is very rocky. I haven't been clear to the spot but when I was somewhat near there in the 80s it was really hard to find even a small tent site. It has me thinkin' bivy sack. Close to the coast humidity could be a thing. (It can also be over 100 degrees with low single digit humidity there but that's usually a late summer thing.)

What bivies are best so far as avoiding condensation? I'm looking for water resistant if not fully waterproof. Hooped is preferable but if there's a means to rig something to lift the mesh off my face I might be able to work with it. I do plan to carry a tarp in addition to the bivy. Light weight and compact matter as well.

Thoughts/suggestions?

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
GB1

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
MLD bivy.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Pitter Patter!
T
T_O_M Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
^^^^ is that the "eVent" material? What model? Looks good to me. How is condensation?

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bora makes sweet but basic bivies. Rab makes a ridgerunner which offers slightly more structure.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] by

Last edited by PintsofCraft; 12/11/22.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Bug net bivy under a large poncho/tarp.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

They are solid too. I’ve got a Luna 4 - not quite the quality of my Kifaru gear but close. John is a good communicator and asks questions if needed.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
PintsofCraft,
Howdy.

Looks good, really like that color !!

Posted by Bristoe
T
T_O_M Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
I have a BPWD bug bivy and use it frequently .. I'm just pondering something a little more weatherproof in case a coastal storm blows in unexpectedly.

I was planning roughly 4th of July to split the gap between most likely end of coastal storms and most likely beginning of 100+ degree temps in the canyons. No guarantees of success. I could go later into summer, accept the heat, and reduce the chances of rain. Dunno.

Here be dragons ...
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by T_O_M
^^^^ is that the "eVent" material? What model? Looks good to me. How is condensation?

That model is the “superlight solo - all net hood” my favourite to use paired with a tarp or floorless shelter in tick season. Never had an issue with condensation yet.

I have the “event soul” bivy as well. Condensation builds up a bit if the hood is closed. Hood open with the net seems to give enough ventilation.

Pitter Patter!
IC B3

T
T_O_M Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Nashville
That model is the “superlight solo - all net hood” my favourite to use paired with a tarp or floorless shelter in tick season. Never had an issue with condensation yet.

Thanks for that info. That is really useful .. very very high on my list of options.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ol_mike
PintsofCraft,
Howdy.

Looks good, really like that color !!

Howdy back atcha - you were spot on with Bear Paw - great stuff!

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You know I've been doing this for a long time. I've tried several bivouac sacks and I've come to the conclusion that bivvy sacks are great except when it's raining or snowing and then you ask yourself "Self, why didn't I bring my tent ?"

I can't recall anytime that I was thinking "Gee, I wish I had a bivvy bag".

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

T
T_O_M Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
^^^^ I get that. I've been at this a while, too. Always trying to learn though. This might be a time that would be an exception. The trip is probably 5 days, 2 days in, a day at the old cabin site, 2 days back. About 5 miles in from the beginning near where the trail forks to drop into the canyon is a beautiful camp with good water. The rest of the area is a burned over, dry, exposed, rocky SOB. I'm not sure, from old pix I've seen, that there's a place by the cabin site by the river to set up a tent. It's a boulder pile. It would be a candidate for hammock camping if the brush has grown up enough to support one. Not sure about that. I think there are cracks in the rocks good enough for a bivy. I think. So that's the logic for bivy over hammock or tent for this trip.

Here be dragons ...
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I'm with KC.
How about a single person tent?--the footprint would be only a bit larger than a bivy, probably cheaper than a tarp and bivy, and when the bugs are out or it's raining/snowing sideways a lot more secure/weatherproof. A single man tent would probably be a pound or so more though.

REI has a single man discontinued Marmot tent on sale for $153 right now.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Bug net bivy under a large poncho/tarp.

This is a good idea. So many ways to use a tarp.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by T_O_M
I'm starting to plan a hoped-for trip in early July of 2023. The area was burned, re-burned, and some re-re-burned. I don't think there are trees enough for hammock camping though possibly some of the re-growth in the burns might be big enough. The ground is very rocky. I haven't been clear to the spot but when I was somewhat near there in the 80s it was really hard to find even a small tent site. It has me thinkin' bivy sack. Close to the coast humidity could be a thing. (It can also be over 100 degrees with low single digit humidity there but that's usually a late summer thing.)

What bivies are best so far as avoiding condensation? I'm looking for water resistant if not fully waterproof. Hooped is preferable but if there's a means to rig something to lift the mesh off my face I might be able to work with it. I do plan to carry a tarp in addition to the bivy. Light weight and compact matter as well.

Thoughts/suggestions?

I use a MSS Gore-Tex Bivy Bag (Tennier Industries)

[Linked Image from image.geartrade.com]

Great product.

GR

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by KC

Oh, come on. I start questioning the contents of my pack about 3/4 mile down the trail.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I tried various Bivys and prefer a one person TarpTent for everything I’ve run into this far.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by bellydeep
Originally Posted by KC

Oh, come on. I start questioning the contents of my pack about 3/4 mile down the trail.

lol.....

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

677 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 62 invisible), 2,441 guests, and 1,159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,140
Posts18,464,836
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.