Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I just picked up a M70 Classic Stainless 5 digit that has a .416 Rem barrel screwed on it. I'll probably ditch the factory tupperware for a McMillian.

Which style stock is best for reducing felt recoil.

Thanks

GB1

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
The Echols legend stock made by McMillan.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Whatever has a straight comb with minor drop.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
My McM Express just works on my M70 416 Rem. Seem to recall it dropped a half of a pound from the factory wood stock. This with a magnum fill. Made for a nice lean 416.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by stevevan1

...... with a large butt pad foot print.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
trapperJ:
Good afternoon, I hope the day's been behaving for you and this finds you well.

In one of his books on rifles, John Barnsness goes into why different stock types fit different body builds/types and what effect that has on how we perceive the recoil. I want to say its the first Rifle Loonie book, but can check later to verify.

Going off of what I can recall from his chapter on it then and based upon personal experience having 3 different stocks on a barreled action, my answer would be it will depend on how you're built.

For instance I'm 5'6" on a tall day, but have a fairly broad chest and longer than average arms and not much neck - lots of Neanderthal DNA active most likely.

I did Model 70 stock up for a friend who was a foot taller than me, maybe weighed another 25lb on a heavy day and had at least twice as long of a neck. What fit him didn't fit me and absolutely affected how we felt the recoil of the rifle.

My friend from the east coast of Canada is correct that a large butt pad is important, but I'd argue that of equal importance is that the pitch at the toe fits your shoulder.

For me personally the answer is usually a Monte Carlo cheek piece with a wide butt and the toe pitch cut to fit my "unique" body - but it might be the exact opposite for you.

Hopefully that made some sense and was useful.

Good luck on the project and Merry Christmas to you too.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Thanks for the advice guys

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
For me I have discovered a stock with about a 1/2 inch drop diff between the nose and heel of the comb works best. Similar for.my wife but our daughter has a long neck line my mom did so a more Monte Carlo type works for her. Women generally do better with a stock having toe out cast owing to more.tender breast tissue. I had an Echols.stock once and it did not fit me at all.

The way life should be.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here are three recoil pads that I used on different 375H&Hs.

The bottom one was off an A-Bolt and was hard as a puck. The middle one was from a std 700 stock, also as hard as a puck.

The top one went on an old B&C stock with straight comb. It handled recoil 2nd to none. The other two, not so well. The A-bolt was brutal.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by trapperJ
I just picked up a M70 Classic Stainless 5 digit that has a .416 Rem barrel screwed on it. I'll probably ditch the factory tupperware for a McMillian.

Which style stock is best for reducing felt recoil.

Thanks

Switching that bbl to 375H&H or 358NM will reduce recoil in a big way as well. Just sayin'. smile

IC B3

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by SuperCub

^^^^^^What these guys said, and with i mean the 'exact' LOP to fit you.

Trump Won!
F
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
F
A normal, non-pencil barrel weight rifle, with a properly fitted thumbhole stock including proper length of pull, and your choice of a modern technology recoil absorbing pad will significantly reduce recoil and eliminate the need for a muzzle break.

I have restocked a 375 Ruger, 300 WM, and 30 06 and the difference the thumbhole stock makes is worthwhile. It also makes for a much steadier shooting platform for better shot placement.

I have had others try these rifles with a normal straight comb sporter style style and the thumbhole, everyone felt a significant amount of recoil reduction and liked the handling.

I still have not gotten used to the thumbhole look, but they sure have been an improvement for me.

Harry Lawson designed and promoted the thumbhole stock for heavy kickers decades ago and I would say is the pioneer in helping to tame heavy kickers.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
A proper heavy game rifle should point like a shotgun. Have you ever held an English rifle in hand or shouldered one? The reaction is one of, Oh, that is why they build them this way. One must do so to appreciate how good that style can be.

The way life should be.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

Best I can tell it's these two things.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by gunner500

I definitely agree on the proper LOP.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
My McM stocked 416 M70 mentioned above.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by ldmay375
Originally Posted by gunner500

I definitely agree on the proper LOP.

^^^^^^^Yep, my 458 WM+ with 14" LOP recoils like a dream, even with 500gr TBSS's at 2350 fps, even placing precision shots on warthog between the headlights and skinny Impala dead in the chest off the sticks at 190 yards with 404 Hammers at 2500 fps was cake, stock fit is KING!

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Regarding stock fit:

I had a 7mm RM in a 77 tanger. It felt terrible until I replaced the stock with B&C. Then it felt mild.

I had a Ruger 416 Rigby that hurt more than it should. I sold it. I probably would have liked that rifle if it were re-stocked. But I pretty much gave up on Africa and Cape buffalo, but if I do go I’ll make do with a 375 H&H AI pre-64 that doesn’t recoil badly, even with full power 300 grain loads.

I like the Ruger design but their stock design doesn’t fit me. I think their comb is too low or maybe because I’m larger than many. (My shirt size is 20” neck and 40” sleeve).

I don’t have the same problem with 70’s or 700’s???
I did feel recoil on my 600 350 RM with full power 250 grain loads but a replacement stock, synthetic and as light as factory made the 600 feel fine.

Some people whine about the 300 Weatherby recoil. I’d bet that if they shot that cartridge in a 700 they would stop complaining about the 300’s recoil.

Last edited by Bugger; 01/02/23.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Here are three recoil pads that I used on different 375H&Hs.

The bottom one was off an A-Bolt and was hard as a puck. The middle one was from a std 700 stock, also as hard as a puck.

The top one went on an old B&C stock with straight comb. It handled recoil 2nd to none. The other two, not so well. The A-bolt was brutal.

I noticed the same thing with the Win 70 Safari Express having big recoil pads and smaller ones on the Rugers and Brownings. Also remember the smaller hard rubber pad on the Lee Enfield Jungle Carbine?

I think that recoil spread over twice the surface area must be a very significant factor.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bugger
Regarding stock fit:

I had a 7mm RM in a 77 tanger. It felt terrible until I replaced the stock with B&C. Then it felt mild.

I had a Ruger 416 Rigby that hurt more than it should. I sold it. I probably would have liked that rifle if it were re-stocked. But I pretty much gave up on Africa and Cape buffalo, but if I do go I’ll make do with a 375 H&H AI pre-64 that doesn’t recoil badly, even with full power 300 grain loads.

I like the Ruger design but their stock design doesn’t fit me. I think their comb is too low or maybe because I’m larger than many. (My shirt size is 20” neck and 40” sleeve).

I don’t have the same problem with 70’s or 700’s???
I did feel recoil on my 600 350 RM with full power 250 grain loads but a replacement stock, synthetic and as light as factory made the 600 feel fine.

Some people whine about the 300 Weatherby recoil. I’d bet that if they shot that cartridge in a 700 they would stop complaining about the 300’s recoil.

Ex- BIL had a 7 mag like yours.
He complained about how it kicked,used a jacket to cushion it. Was at our place
frequently zeroing it.

Dad and I decided he was a puss and afraid of it.
Finally, we shot it.
Dad had a Vanguard, I had a Sako. 7mms. That Ruger was brutal.
It hit harder than my 300 Win Mountain Rifle.
Have since noticed the same with other 77s.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

445 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 160user, 10ring1, 007FJ, 59 invisible), 1,912 guests, and 1,210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,216
Posts18,447,389
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.