Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by pete53
Originally Posted by dassa
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Nothing attracts kids to a new activity like frustration and failure.
We didn't get any special treatment or youth seasons when I was a kid. You could go out and hunt like a man in the grown up season or stay the fugg home and play with the kiddie toys. For god sakes no wonder there's so many spoiled little snow flake pansies these days.
When you were a kid, farmers didn't plow all the way to the fence, millionaires didn't lease all the best hunting land, and kiddie toys were a tire and a stick.
We also had to work cutting firewood, throwing hay bales and running trap lines to earn the money for our own guns and shells. We didn't have to be coaxed and coddled into going hunting, we had to work for it. We certainly wouldn't want the little darlins to have to work for anything today.
You must be a real bad ass. Would you have done that stuff if you didn't have access to birds to hunt?

If you would have, you're an idiot. Normal people don't bust their ass for zero reward.

when my father gave us our chores for the day no matter what the weather condition we did them. maybe that`s why i was a REA lineman for 35 years in Northern Minnesota work and weather never did bother me ? if we didn`t do our work / chores we did not get to hunt , fish or get any ammo father was tuff ,there was no whining or crying that just made things tougher. i guess city kids and now city adults won`t understand this work ethics but country kids now adults know what i am talking about.
Not sure what you're trying to say, but it sounds like you're saying you worked for 35 years for free. Cause somehow you're a bad ass country kid.

Oh, wait. If you didn't do your chores, you didn't get to go hunting. That sounds like a reward. Now, try to be honest, would you have done your chores, with the reward of going hunting, if there were no birds to hunt?

If so, you sound like as big a bad ass as blackheart.

BP-B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Reality for those that think the old ways apply today.

Upland Wild Birds in the USA exist primarily in the heartland. The East and West coasts have minimal Wild compared to the days when some were in their BA prime. I lived in the days of 20-40 flushes per day of Ruffed Grouse in Pa. In addition to having enough Wild Pheasants to make it interesting. Those days up the entire East coast will likely never be seen again. Same with the Pacific side.

Which means preserves have become popular. And it had little to do with how BA you were in your prime. In addition, how many Kids can afford to pay $25 to $40 a Bird to use them. Unless a Kid has a parent or mentor willing to pay the bill, then their Bird hunting, if ever, will occur when they are much older.

You want to hunt significant numbers of Wild today, you best either live in the heartland or be willing to travel there.

How tough you were or what Dad made you do has absolutely no relevance to the question, if you happen to live where Birds are few.

Yet while the house is crumbling around you, your only contribution to repair it, is to tell us you had to walk to school ball deep in snow.

Last edited by battue; 12/14/22.

laissez les bons temps rouler
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by battue

Upland Wild Birds in the USA exist primarily in the heartland. The East and West coasts have minimal Wild compared to the days when some were in their BA prime. I lived in the days of 20-40 flushes per day of Ruffed Grouse in Pa. In addition to having enough Wild Pheasants to make it interesting. Those days up the entire East coast will likely never be seen again. Same with the Pacific side.

Which means preserves have become popular. And it had little to do with how BA you were in your prime. In addition, how many Kids can afford to pay $25 to $40 a Bird to use them. Unless a Kid has a parent or mentor willing to pay the bill, then their Bird hunting, if ever, will occur when they are much older.

You want to hunt significant numbers of Wild today, you best either live in the heartland or be willing to travel there.

How tough you were or what Dad made you do has absolutely no relevance to the question, if you happen to live where Birds are few.

Yet while the house is crumbling around you, your only contribution to repair it, is to tell us you had to walk to school ball deep in snow.
I admire your civility. I should strive to be so even tempered.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by battue

SLOW CLAP

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We run our dogs every year for the youth pheasant opener, it is the culmination of a hunter's safety course sponsored by Pheasants Forever for area kids that don't grow up with a hunting mentor. The kids spend their summer in class and on the trap and skeet fields. The night before the youth opener 500+ pheasants are dumped in a crp field bordered by hills on one side and a stubble field on the other, all on a huge private ranch near here.

The kids get a limit of birds, the dogs get ruined for a week by pen raised birds, and the old timers get a chuckle and some handshakes for a job well done. Those kids won't hardly set those birds down. They walk around all smiles and excited chatter, we put the birds in their new vests and snap a couple pics and congratulate them on a job well done. We set up a cleaning station and teach them how to do it, their parents usually too.

If pen raised birds get those kids into a lifetime of hunting, what is wrong with that?

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Not one F'ing thing is wrong with that. Everything is RIGHT with that.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That said, I am not a fan of releasing pen raised birds onto public land that already supports wild birds.

Private land shooting sanctuaries? Fire up the chicken truck!

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Aren’t all pheasants in the us an introduced species? How would planting be any different than the introduction of the species to the western world? I am not a big upland hunter but I view pheasants the same as shooting iguanas in Florida and catching carp just about anywhere. I know a lot of people who seem to have a superiority complex on how to hunt upland birds that is not reflected on the carp staggers in your local ditch but to me it is the same.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Disease in pen raised birds can in theory transmit to the wild population, and the local predators get the lion's share of released birds.

Mortality rates are staggering after only 12 hours.

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
WA releases a good many. The west side of the state has few wild birds and about your only opportunity on that side of the cascades for pheasants are release sites.

It ain’t my cup of tea, but it’s an opportunity for folks that are just starting, can’t travel, or just enjoy it for what it is.

My buddy had a lab that was hilarious at release sites. Leave the gun in the car. Just turn him loose and he’ll fetch a limit of birds in pretty short order😂

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Swampfoot2
Aren’t all pheasants in the us an introduced species? How would planting be any different than the introduction of the species to the western world? I am not a big upland hunter but I view pheasants the same as shooting iguanas in Florida and catching carp just about anywhere. I know a lot of people who seem to have a superiority complex on how to hunt upland birds that is not reflected on the carp staggers in your local ditch but to me it is the same.

The difference which escapes you is they introduced Wild Birds from China....Before all the China BS started, a good friend had to frequently go to work there. He said up in the country you can often hear a wild Pheasant crowing, but they don't tolerate humans all that much. Wild vs tame colorful chickens is the difference. Although given enough time, great habitat and limited predators, I think one could release enough hatched Birds that some would have the right DNA to thrive, become wild and propagate on their own.

There is no superiority complex in the majority of Upland hunters. Unless you equate a superiority complex with a passion for a certain type of hunting. Combine it with an interest in shotguns and Birddogs....the purpose of this forum, by the way.... and you arrive at what some consider a valued part of their life. I personally think golf is pretty much a waste of time. However, I don't think those who play it at every chance or choose to live where they can have a superiority complex. Your choice, look at as you wish. And while you think carp are a trash fish, in parts of Europe it is considered a delicacy. See how that works.

Anyway, you most likely feel you have accomplished your goal to troll....Well done...Personally i think most trolls are asssholes...

Last edited by battue; 12/14/22.

laissez les bons temps rouler
G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by GrouseAtHarte
I've hunted NJ and NY stocked birds for 5-6 years now. This year we spent most of October and November chasing grouse though. I don't mind the stocked birds but they definitely make for some bad habits in the dog. I find it funny most folks in the NJ pages get all pissy that the state doesn't put enough birds out. If they're not back in the truck by 7:30AM with their two birds the "hunting" is TOO hard. I'd love to get out west someday but I feel I need a little more dog power to make a trip worth it.

I had a night job at the time as soon as I got off work went to the Black River WMA at least 3 times a week all thru the small game season. At that time NJ put out a ton of birds. My Brittany had no shortage of Pheasant and Quail to work over.

Good Times

Black River is a great WMA, we have fun there too.

-Life's too short to hunt with an ugly gun-
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
333 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 30 invisible), 2,157 guests, and 936 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,729
Posts18,400,838
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.