Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Ok, what difference does it make on which brand scope mount rail you buy?
Looking to buy scope rail for my model 70 rather than just cheap leupold mounts. What would you recommend for a decent quality for the money.
Thanks for any input.

BP-B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by RatherBHuntin
Looking to buy scope rail for my model 70 rather than just cheap leupold mounts. What would you recommend for a decent quality for the money.
Thanks for any input.

EGW is fairly inexpensive, but works well. Why not a 2 piece weaver type mount? That is a step above your typical standard leupold 2 piece mounts. Very strong and not as tactical looking as a 1 piece mount. Less weight than a rail as well. I'd go 2 piece steel weaver type mounts on a hunting rifle, if not going with DD's or the like. Just me though. What is it exactly that you have and want to do. You need something to hold a 30 oz scope?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Thanks for any input.

Talley bases and rings if it’s a nice looking rifle

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Egw and several others are good for the money (under $100) I do like the Nightforce 2 piece base for guns that need to top loaded as rails of course somewhat limit access for loading.

For a 700 based rifle the Hawkins hybrids remove the need for a rail in most circumstances outside of short tube compared to ejection port length.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I went to rails on several rifles years ago. I mainly use Weaver Tactical rails on my 700's and Mountain Tech on my Tikka's. The reason I went to a rail is when I decide to play musical scopes between guns, it is fast and easy and I don't have to relevel my scopes.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Weaver rails work great, and are made in the USA.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Murphy’s Precision

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Leupold DD is definitely not junk

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Weaver rails work great, and are made in the USA.
For the money, it’s hard to go wrong with Weaver Tactical rails, if they make one for the rifle model you’re interested in.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Thanks for any input.
I like rails because they make it easy to move scopes between rifles without having to re-level them and because you have a lot more latitude with ring spacing. The downside is that they put the scope higher than it needs to be (in some cases a lot higher) unless you have a huge objective bell. Also, some of them are much longer than they need to be, which limits where the scope can go if you're trying to get it low.

That said, not all rails are created equal. A few years ago, I bought a cheap rail (can't remember the make) for a M-700 in 308. Something was badly wrong with it. The rear of the rail was visibly misaligned so it bent down and to the left compared to the rest of the rail. With a 200-yard zero, the 100-yard POI was to the left and the 300-yard POI was to the right.

My gunsmith replaced it with an EGW and the problem went away.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks for any input.

I prefer Picatinny rail to the Weaver as Picatinny accessories will not fit on a Weaver rail, but Weaver accessories will fit on a Picatinny rail.

I have tried EGW. One worked perfectly the other not so well. By perfectly I mean that the radiuses underneath the mount (where the bolt opening is) lined up just right. See photo below for the one that did not line up well.
Murphy Precision makes a good variety of mounts for the Winchester Model 70 and that will be my next stop. Not cheap but, they are very well made (have used them before) and they do make them in Titanium as well.

You have to make sure that the scope base hole spacing matches up with the product you want to purchase. And, I would inquire about the radius issue mentioned above before purchasing.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by Marley7x57; 12/15/22.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The lowest pic rails I’ve used that are quality and a good value are Weaver Tactical and Area419. EGW rails are good but fairly high.

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
I like Area 419, especially on Tikkas, and Warne Mountain Tech.
Also like the Burris Xtreme Tactical 2 pc bases. Light. Low. Steel. You don’t get as much fwd/aft positional adjustment as a full rail and no inclination, but if you don’t need those things, it’s a great setup.

Don't speculate when you don't know, and don't second guess when you do.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
On hunting rifles I am also primarily using Burris Xtreme Tactical 2 pc bases, a great value.

I also like EGR and Warne Mountain tech.

Match rifles either OPS 2 Titanium (for FN-H SPR), Nightforce, or Badger...

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have a lightly used EGW pic rail that I had on a M70 30-06.
$25

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by okie john
With a 200-yard zero, the 100-yard POI was to the left and the 300-yard POI was to the right.

Over here with a pencil and paper desperately trying to figure out how this would be possible...

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Thanks for any input.

EGW is fairly inexpensive, but works well. Why not a 2 piece weaver type mount? That is a step above your typical standard leupold 2 piece mounts. Very strong and not as tactical looking as a 1 piece mount. Less weight than a rail as well. I'd go 2 piece steel weaver type mounts on a hunting rifle, if not going with DD's or the like. Just me though. What is it exactly that you have and want to do. You need something to hold a 30 oz scope?

I have a 30mm tube scope, meopta Meosport on a Winchester model 70 short mag. It’s kinda heavy. Just wondering if a picatini rail and rings wouldn’t be more stable platform than basic leupold mounts.

Last edited by RatherBHuntin; 12/17/22.
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by RHutch
I have a lightly used EGW pic rail that I had on a M70 30-06.
$25

Thanks for the offer but I need a wsm action footprint.

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Thanks for any input.

I have a 30mm tube scope, meopta Meosport on a Winchester model 70 short mag. It’s kinda heavy. Just wondering if a picatini rail and rings wouldn’t be more stable platform than basic leupold mounts.

It would be an upgrade in my book for sure.

Don't speculate when you don't know, and don't second guess when you do.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks for any input.

When you say "basic", I interpret that as Leupold standard bases. So, yes, a rail would be a huge improvement in strength over those. However, you won't give up much if you go to a 2 piece steel weaver type mount. Such as the Leupold PRW/QRW mounts and Rings. That is a very robust set up. I actually run that on my lightweight 338wm, pre 64 model 70.

So you are wanting this type of set up?:
That is a Near Manufacturing 20 moa rail with TPS rings. 30mm scope^^^^ That rifle is a short action 300WSM FN built on a classic model 70 action. I'm showing a picture of that rifle because it matches your rifle closer than anything I have with a rail on it. The rail is a steel mil spec 1913 picatinny, that is very solid. The TPS rings are also steel. If you want strong, that is it.

There is a myriad of rings out there, that will work, as I mentioned in my last post. One of my favorites is the Nightforce ultra lightweight rings. I have a couple rifles set up with those rings and they are damn solid:
Some are 6 screw and some are 4 screw. Both seem to be very solid.

Again, however, the 2 piece steel weaver style bases and rings are plenty strong. The Leupold part # that will fit your rifle is: 49837
Then you can use Burris Zee rings, or similar rings

On a hunting rifle, they are a little more sleek and slightly less weight than the steel rail, like the one I pictured above.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
344 members (280shooter, 204guy, 29aholic, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 44 invisible), 2,240 guests, and 1,087 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,724
Posts18,400,607
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.