Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by trapperJ
I'm just a hunter, neither label fits me perfectly.

10/4

An "Opportunist' here..........

All were targets of opportunity!

From earlier this week.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

6 pt., no brow tines cull.

a Dirty Bastid'

Javelina @ 65 paces with my Merkel 141 Double, 8 x 57R

Thermal trash panda!

ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 11/19/22.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
BP-B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Nobody is killing chit with more class and style than you GWB. Nice hardware as usual.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by roundoak
Why would I want to be a meat hunter when I raise prime angus beef? The only exceptions are: 1) I donate 2 doe to the DNR sponsored food pantry. 2) My wife and her mother can the meat of a doe and donate it to the church bazaar every year. After that it is big animals and horns, son.
Whose killing the big horns??

Son!!

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Stellar choice in your beer there geedubya! My favorite!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Had to resurrect this gem...

Originally Posted by kingston
Why would I want to be a meat hunter when I raise prime angus beef? The only exceptions are: 1) I donate 2 doe to the DNR sponsored food pantry. 2) My wife and her mother can the meat of a doe and donate it to the church bazaar every year. After that it is big animals and horns, son.

The monster whitetails you and your crew kill during rifle season completely befuddles me. In my experience the only way that happens is if you control a large contiguous tract of land, out here that'd be 1,500+ acres with a 50/50 mix of timber to crop land, and have almost no hunting pressure prior to the rifle season.

Don't get me wrong, I always look forward to your deer season tales, so whatever you're doing, keep up the great work!

100% of the members would agree with me that our success on nice size bucks has a lot to due with the deer drive. We drive private big timber and small woodlots, public river islands, public land. We drive places that many hunters would not hunt, for example open prairie restoration or CRP ground.

In addition, if towards the end of the season there are some small acreage standing corn fields, we will drive them. Our drives may consist of little as three hunters or as many as 20-25 hunters

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Beaver10

ROak

You were specifically in my mind when I wrote about acreage owners that smoke exceptional animals.

It’s like you and your family have it all - It never seems like a canned hunt situation. Real hunting on incredible land that gives up big, gnarly, bucks each year.

They say jealousy and hate are close kin. If true, then I’m your distant brother, and I want what you have.

🦫

PS

When do the pics start dropping of the bucks you and your family shoot?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Brad

ROak

You were specifically in my mind when I wrote about acreage owners that smoke exceptional animals.

It’s like you and your family have it all - It never seems like a canned hunt situation. Real hunting on incredible land that gives up big, gnarly, bucks each year.

They say jealousy and hate are close kin. If true, then I’m your distant brother, and I want what you have.

🦫

PS

I was never fooled by RO’s threads of heroic hunting. I was just playing the long game to smoke him out.

Lol

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

ROak

🦫

PS

King, like a few here had been suspect for years.

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Had to resurrect this gem...

Originally Posted by kingston

The monster whitetails you and your crew kill during rifle season completely befuddles me. In my experience the only way that happens is if you control a large contiguous tract of land, out here that'd be 1,500+ acres with a 50/50 mix of timber to crop land, and have almost no hunting pressure prior to the rifle season.

Don't get me wrong, I always look forward to your deer season tales, so whatever you're doing, keep up the great work!

100% of the members would agree with me that our success on nice size bucks has a lot to due with the deer drive. We drive private big timber and small woodlots, public river islands, public land. We drive places that many hunters would not hunt, for example open prairie restoration or CRP ground.

In addition, if towards the end of the season there are some small acreage standing corn fields, we will drive them. Our drives may consist of little as three hunters or as many as 20-25 hunters

There's a psychiatric name for this kind of fantasy role playing and pathologic lying.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
can you say.........

four-play!

Quien Sabe,

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Do a lotta trading too. Got a lamb, homemade jam, 2yo goat cheddar, butter, and Italian bread. Pretty good trade👊🏻

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I consider myself more meat hunter than horn. I love to deer hunt. I do pass deer. I like watching them. I wait for certan types of deer And don't shoot the first legal ones I see.. But I am more concerned with getting 4 or 5 in the freezer than a big rack. I do prefer to shoot bucks that are older. I shoot does that don't have little ones with them and after I have been on a stand a while. I haven't bought ground beef in 30 years. We eat ground deer. We can shoot 5 legally here. And my wife and children hunt as well.
I would be pleased if I killed one with a huge rack but I don't work toward that as a goal. I have one mounted and won't mount another.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Judman, I am a meat hunter. I raised 7 children by feeding them meat I hunted for and backyard gardening. I remember getting 7 deer one year and it was eaten up in 6 months. I made hamburger and steak from the tenderloins. Didn't worry about racks. We also have had squirrel, rabbit, quail, wild turkey and dove. I know a lot of people who meat hunt. Trophy animals are just icing on the cake. I still meat hunt. Have you priced beef lately?

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Dixie_Dude
Judman, I am a meat hunter. I raised 7 children by feeding them meat I hunted for and backyard gardening. I remember getting 7 deer one year and it was eaten up in 6 months. I made hamburger and steak from the tenderloins. Didn't worry about racks. We also have had squirrel, rabbit, quail, wild turkey and dove. I know a lot of people who meat hunt. Trophy animals are just icing on the cake. I still meat hunt. Have you priced beef lately?

This guy has it figured out. I run quite a few head of cattle and I'm all for the beef/agriculture industry, but man I don't think it gets any better than venison and quail. We don't exclusively hunt for meat but when you find a good buck, it's a bonus. I can't believe more people don't take advantage of fresh venison. Cost you the price of a primer, powder, and a bullet.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Coyote10

This guy has it figured out. I run quite a few head of cattle and I'm all for the beef/agriculture industry, but man I don't think it gets any better than venison and quail. We don't exclusively hunt for meat but when you find a good buck, it's a bonus. I can't believe more people don't take advantage of fresh venison. Cost you the price of a primer, powder, and a bullet.

Well, there are also all those other costs associated with hunting besides a primer, powder, and a bullet. Licenses cost money. Gear costs money. Gas costs money. Lots of ancillaries that cost money. Unless you can walk out your back door to hunt and you process your own carcasses hunting is probably not all that cost effective a means by which to pay for protein.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by Coyote10

Well, there are also all those other costs associated with hunting besides a primer, powder, and a bullet. Licenses cost money. Gear costs money. Gas costs money. Lots of ancillaries that cost money. Unless you can walk out your back door to hunt and you process your own carcasses hunting is probably not all that cost effective a means by which to pay for protein.
Well I can walk out my back door or my front door and go hunting and I do. From my front porch I can point to spots on the hill across the road where I've killed a bunch of bucks. I spent about 200.00 total on license/tags, ammo and gas to put 6 deer in the freezer last season. Been wearing the same hunting clothes/ boots and using the same rifles/scopes for years too. Hunting doesn't have to cost a fortune and can fill the freezer with some pretty cheap meat. Been doing it my whole life.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Yeah I’ve had a lifetime license for 25 years, it’s long since paid for. And I can either stop on my way home from work or drive between 1 and 8 miles to places I can hunt deer. Have shot plenty of stuff still wearing my work clothes and boots. And we cut and wrap everything at home.

Sometimes people don’t have to spend a fortune to eat game all year.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
There are fixed costs and variable costs, as well as variable benefits, for each hunting trip. The monetary benefit-cost ratio depends on how much meat and how many variable costs are involved for each trip. It's a lot more economical to shoot a moose than a deer on a given trip. wink

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Yup, lifetime license I've had since I was a kid, hunt my own land unless I decide to go out of state, can shoot deer from my porch, don't really have to drive anywhere to get a deer if I don't want to. So if your in this kind of situation, then yeah, it's pretty darn convenient. Not boasting as I've worked pretty hard for the past 30 years to have my own farms to hunt. Fortunately they have alot of deer on them and I like to harvest them for my table. And I too have shot plenty of them in my work clothes thekid. Funny you mentioned that.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You fellas that shoot several deer to eat every year, do you not get tired of it? The taste of deer has caused me to implement my own personal APR. It tastes great for the first 20 pounds, then ok for 20 pounds, then I'm kinda good until next fall. I'd rather go to the steakhouse and let some pretty girl bring me a salad and a burger.

Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
641 members (17CalFan, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257Bob, 12344mag, 1234, 71 invisible), 2,968 guests, and 1,321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,668
Posts18,399,405
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.