Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
Originally Posted by catnthehat
Well Steve, my son usually runs either a BSA Featherweight in 257 Bob or a 12x12/375 drilling. But a couple of times he trunndled out his custom built 6.5STW!
In his defence however it is at least a CRF Win70. :>)
Cat

Ask him to read this. smile https://303british.com/the-30-303-vs-the-308-the-308-aint-no-thang/ You can refresh a 303 with a barrel change to 308 diameter. More bullets to choose from and a better fit too. That will mean improved accuracy.
Believe me when I tell you Steve that although he is quite aware of the potential of the .303 case, the only one he will ever carry into the bush is my custom built Ruger #3, likely only one time ,the fall after he puts my tired bones to rest!
He loves his wildcats, but building one on the 303 Brit case ain't gonna happen!
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Your body will tell you when to slow down, and when to quit. Take your time, don’t hurt yourself, but also don’t sell yourself too short. My motto has become, “If not now, when?”. Excepting a big weight loss or other physical improvement, your abilities are headed in one direction: South.

Something as simple as a good walking stick can make a huge difference in your excursions afield. I cut a half-dozen today from a pear tree I was pruning. Very strong, and if I leave one leaning against a tree somewhere, it’s not a financial disaster as with some high-tech carbon fiber wonder.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Believe me when I tell you Steve that although he is quite aware of the potential of the .303 case, the only one he will ever carry into the bush is my custom built Ruger #3, likely only one time ,the fall after he puts my tired bones to rest!

He loves his wildcats, but building one on the 303 Brit case ain't gonna happen!
Cat

Each to his own thing. 😄

The force of the 303 surrounds us. It penetrates us. It binds the galaxy together.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell

Cat

Each to his own thing. 😄

The force of the 303 surrounds us. It penetrates us. It binds the galaxy together.
Yup, he shakes his head at some of my choices as well!LOL
The .303 Brit for me may be old, but so am I , but it is a cartridge that has proven itself the World over in multiple rifle and bullet configurations, through war and peace. I just love it!
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I was not able to win a match with my 303 "F" class rifle but I was able to come in second, ahead of a bunch of 6 BR's. The 303 seems to shoot every bit as well as a 308. I confess to building a 308 to win the same match a year later. I could do all of my hunting with a 303 and feel just fine doing it.
This coming fall, I will have had my first big game rifle, a #4mk1, sporterized by Parker Hale, for sixty years. I rebarreled it to 30/40 Krag 40 years ago, but may restore it to 303 before I use it for the 2023 season. I'll be 74 and will backpack in for another hunt. The old #4 is no lightweight but lightweight rifles are for the younger guys! GD

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by greydog
I was not able to win a match with my 303 "F" class rifle but I was able to come in second, ahead of a bunch of 6 BR's. The 303 seems to shoot every bit as well as a 308. I confess to building a 308 to win the same match a year later. I could do all of my hunting with a 303 and feel just fine doing it.
This coming fall, I will have had my first big game rifle, a #4mk1, sporterized by Parker Hale, for sixty years. I rebarreled it to 30/40 Krag 40 years ago, but may restore it to 303 before I use it for the 2023 season. I'll be 74 and will backpack in for another hunt. The old #4 is no lightweight but lightweight rifles are for the younger guys! GD

If you are going to rebarrel it, you might consider using a 308 barrel instead. There is better bullet availability and you can use the same recipes with the 308 diameter, same weighted bullets. I won a few mil shoots with this set up.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I'm considering that, Steve. On the other hand, I have a fair quantity of 303 bullets. I also like the idea of being able to use factory loads. I have a P-14 with a 30 cal. barrel on it. When I installed the 30/40 barrel, 30/40 brass was easy to get. Today, not so much. GD

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I'm considering that, Steve. On the other hand, I have a fair quantity of 303 bullets. I also like the idea of being able to use factory loads. I have a P-14 with a 30 cal. barrel on it. When I installed the 30/40 barrel, 30/40 brass was easy to get. Today, not so much. GD

It's handy to use factory stuff. Since you have a lot of 303 bullets, I guess it doesn't make much difference. It's probably because of my time in the military, but I prefer a rifle that has some heft to it - especially if it kicks a little. smile

Cat,
you and I both know that just because something is a little older, it doesn't need to be replaced. smile If that was the case, I would have to get rid of my wife! That might be easier than getting rid of some of my older rifles. lol

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My youngest brother is a doctor and he told me that he once mistook a 93 year-old man as a very fit 73 year-old.

He mistook the intake person's "9" for a "7". He caught the error while verifying information.

The man's wife had dementia and he got about 90 minutes of help a day from the neighbor. He used that time to ride to a public park and back every day on his bicycle, a distance of 13 miles. Every darned day of the year.

He lived near Lake Michigan so you know he saw some wicked deep snow.

According to my brother, the only "tell" regarding the man's calendar age was the stretched, shiny, parchment look to his skin.

I am a conservative with a lowercase "c".
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by JoeMama
According to my brother, the only "tell" regarding the man's calendar age was the stretched, shiny, parchment look to his skin.

Talking with rancher friends that are all around my age on the impacts of aging — we all agreed our skin is not as tough anymore — nicks and cuts are more frequent and all agreed that our hands did not handle cold as well anymore

Hugh
IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Yeah. After a day of clearing brush or fencing, where I used to just have a few scratches, now I bleed. On the other hand, there is not much pain. GD

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Yeah. After a day of clearing brush or fencing, where I used to just have a few scratches, now I bleed. On the other hand, there is not much pain. GD
On this note, I never even go outside without gloves, usually good leather gloves. I just won't do chores, or pick up a wrench without them.
When I was young, I seldom wore them. My hands are very arthritic now because of this abuse

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Comrade - My wife asked yesterday while I was driving why I flex my hands / fingers so often. I told my my finger joints ache and I put this down to when I was younger working in the trades I worked bare hand the majority of the time (with lots being outside service work on heat / cool equipment) plus I was bad for using my hand to slap wrench’s on fittings that needed a little extra.

On the nick side I now carry hemostatic gauze and bandages to stop the flow. My system does not clot the same way it used to.

Still beats the alternative and while I do the same things they are just done a little slower

Hugh
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by HughW
Comrade - My wife asked yesterday while I was driving why I flex my hands / fingers so often. I told my my finger joints ache and I put this down to when I was younger working in the trades I worked bare hand the majority of the time (with lots being outside service work on heat / cool equipment) plus I was bad for using my hand to slap wrench’s on fittings that needed a little extra.

On the nick side I now carry hemostatic gauze and bandages to stop the flow. My system does not clot the same way it used to.

Still beats the alternative and while I do the same things they are just done a little slower
Yeah Hugh, I am an hvac tradesman also and ditto ...I also used my hands like a hammer .
I roped steers without a glove for years competively, just recently I adopted a glove for this.
I remember dude hunters commenting about us as their guides about how we functioned with gloves in cold temperatures .
You really cannot pack a horse unless you are bare handed either.
Like I said the abuse was evident to everyone around me...just not this knucklehead. Cheers

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by comerade
Hello fellow Geezers.
Well, I am on the verge of turning 65. What to do?
I have always prided myself in staying in good physical condition, I still play hockey pretty well, ride and rope decently and plan on working until I cannot.
I like my work , a self employed hvac tradesman but it takes exhausting effort sometimes. Until I turned 60 I just didn't seem to tire much during the day.
Live on land, have livestock but just sold off all the chickens.
I love to climb our mountains, it takes more time now but the thrill is still there. I feel there is nothing comprable to being in a high sheep basin, gridding it over with my binoculars. Just looking for something that just seems out of place, a horn tip, perhaps.
I still do some horseshoeing, I have to say I don't see many younger folks qualified to shoe performance horses .
I find most of their work lacks fundenmental skills ...there I said it. The same applies to the hvac stuff . This alone makes me feel compelled to carry on.
Anyways, I thought I would post my thoughts and wonder how my fellow Geezers see the world in late 2022.
.Merry Christmas- God Bless

Have you figured out what you want to do in your dotage? 😄

I read somewhere that many younger people are in worse shape than persons twice their age. Maybe too much time on the computer.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
One should never complain about getting old as many never get the opportunity...

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Good afternoon from the west slope of the Canadian Rockies
Steve, no doubt, young people are generally unfit. I am amazed when I can play a solid 1/2 hour of pickup hockey...and take no breaks, drink no water etc and the young skaters are constantly winded, and need to play their 30 second shifts.
This might be do to skating ability but if I were 20 there would be no way I would let a 65 year old play longer shifts than I could.
I see this climbing a mountain too.
Oh yeah, they need breaks to check there phone as well
Old boots, I am not complaining, I feel I am just observing these things.
Anyways, given the choice...I choose to burn out ( and burn hot as I can)and not rust away. Cheers

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
More age, than ability here. At 79, things are a bit different, than the forty's.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by wabigoon
More age, than ability here. At 79, things are a bit different, than the forty's.

1 Peter 5:5 speaks, in part, about learning from older persons or those who are wiser in the ways of God. If you can help guide anyone, do so, but do this kindly.

In the same way, you who are younger must be submissive to those who are older. And all of you should clothe yourselves with humility in your relationships with one another, for God opposes the proud, but he gives grace to the humble.

Sometimes, your words will be rejected, but that is not cause to stop. Try another way. This goes for anything, not just Bible studies.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by HughW
Originally Posted by JoeMama

Talking with rancher friends that are all around my age on the impacts of aging — we all agreed our skin is not as tough anymore — nicks and cuts are more frequent and all agreed that our hands did not handle cold as well anymore

I used to put out 50 decoys then pick them up in icy lake water in November without any gloves. Now I wear gloves if I go shopping lol

KB

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (1beaver_shooter, 1moredeer, 160user, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 58 invisible), 2,316 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,112
Posts18,464,395
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.