Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
PCP in 22 mag?

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by 450BM
Originally Posted by Phillip_Nesmith
$lugs are expensive! If pellets serve your needs I wouldn't get involved with them, the cost per shot gets out of hand quickly.

Yes they are! 25 cal FX brand pellets about 6 cents each, slugs are 16 cents. I’d have to invest about $120 to mold them but there’s no guarantee they will shoot well in my gun so I’m avoiding that for now too. I have about 7000 pellets on hand so I have plenty of shooting to do…

The 31.2 NSA slugs cost me $.07 each . 5 to 10 shots a night ratting at the barn isn't that bad.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Your rifle - your choice
However, I was in a similar situation already having .177, hunting under 100 yds and on occasion shooting noise a consideration - although stealth not a concern.

My choice:
FX Dreamline Classic Walnut .30 cal PCP
I could not be happier with my choice and squirrel and rabbits encountered more unhappy.

Handles both slugs and pellets resolutely, which can be found cheaply on sale.
Laser accuracy when before wind would preclude.
Donny moderator included very effective and can be removed or upgraded if desired.
Balance and traditional looks could not fit better.
Trigger adjustable and unrivaled, 13 shot magazine capacity.

And no I do not post photos of a mess of dead squirrels, but pm me for grandma’s hasenpfeffer recipe if interested - (great for rabbit or squirrel)🦊

Last edited by moose95; 12/11/22.

There is room for all of gods creatures ... right next to the mashed potatoes
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Seems that Donny got a visit from ATF or DOJ and is not shipping out Moderators at the time being. If you need or want one might want to get it now before inventory at your favorite Airgun store is depleted.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Just for anyone that may be following this thread for recommendations, I posted a bit ago about buying two air rifles one which was a Benjamin Trail NP XL that I couldn't get to shoot well. I tried everything including removing the plastic barrel shroud and a plethora of pellets and even slugs then two different scopes and it wouldn't even stay on paper at 50 yards so I sent it back. The other I got was an Umarex Gauntlet in 25 caliber that would shoot dime sized groups at the above mentioned distance but I had to have the windage maxed out on the scope. Come to find out the reciever was twisted pretty good. I dont know how as it was that way out of the box but it went back also. I wanted to buy another because of how well it shot but was scared that maybe they had a bad lot of them so I got an Air Venturi Avenger in 25 caliber that also shoots fantastic and likes an even larger selection of pellets AND slugs than the Gauntlet plus it's buttery smooth. I honestly enjoy these things more than my powder burners. I highly recommend the Avenger.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congrats on finding something that can shoot. The build quality on many PCP's has a lot to be desired from my limited experience with them. I choose to deal with Pyramid Air and let them do the Lothar Walther barrel upgrade on a .22 Marauder and initial shoot in. Fortunately there were no surprises. It burns 18.13gr JSB Match heavys through one ragged hole at 30 yards. I've got a pile of dead squirrels, chipmunks, and a few rabbits to vouch for its accuracy.

And I agree, a PCP is far more handy than a powder burner for small varmint control. You can shoot them anywhere without disturbing the locals. Fun stuff for sure.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
450BM Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by BeardedGunsmith
Just for anyone that may be following this thread for recommendations, I posted a bit ago about buying two air rifles one which was a Benjamin Trail NP XL that I couldn't get to shoot well. I tried everything including removing the plastic barrel shroud and a plethora of pellets and even slugs then two different scopes and it wouldn't even stay on paper at 50 yards so I sent it back. The other I got was an Umarex Gauntlet in 25 caliber that would shoot dime sized groups at the above mentioned distance but I had to have the windage maxed out on the scope. Come to find out the reciever was twisted pretty good. I dont know how as it was that way out of the box but it went back also. I wanted to buy another because of how well it shot but was scared that maybe they had a bad lot of them so I got an Air Venturi Avenger in 25 caliber that also shoots fantastic and likes an even larger selection of pellets AND slugs than the Gauntlet plus it's buttery smooth. I honestly enjoy these things more than my powder burners. I highly recommend the Avenger.

I’ve seen good reviews of the Avenger and the price is great. How many shots are you getting on a full fill?

450BM Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by STRSWilson
Congrats on finding something that can shoot. The build quality on many PCP's has a lot to be desired from my limited experience with them. I choose to deal with Pyramid Air and let them do the Lothar Walther barrel upgrade on a .22 Marauder and initial shoot in. Fortunately there were no surprises. It burns 18.13gr JSB Match heavys through one ragged hole at 30 yards. I've got a pile of dead squirrels, chipmunks, and a few rabbits to vouch for its accuracy.

And I agree, a PCP is far more handy than a powder burner for small varmint control. You can shoot them anywhere without disturbing the locals. Fun stuff for sure.

I live in what’s called “rural boro” but I’d never get away shooting a 22 rf at my house. The air rifles I can shoot all day long and even shoot at night out my shop window. The pellet hitting the target makes more noise than the report. Having shot anything other than pigeons with it but that was impressive to say the least. Of course that’s comparing 25 caliber over .177 but still just as quiet and hits about 4 times harder. As much fun shooting as I’ve ever had!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

I’ve seen good reviews of the Avenger and the price is great. How many shots are you getting on a full fill?
I want to say I got over 4 mags worth of shots and a magazine holds 8 rounds. I highly recommend it.

450BM Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member

I want to say I got over 4 mags worth of shots and a magazine holds 8 rounds. I highly recommend it.

I get about 70 out of my .177 Marauder and 140 from my .25 Impact. Can sure go through pellets in a hurry with these two guns!

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Maybe I am oldfashioned but really like springers either breakbarrel or fixed. Both are accurate. Like HW line of airguns most but do own one Gamo also. Use .177 and .22 with JSB and H&N dome pellets.

450BM Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by 300grains
Maybe I am oldfashioned but really like springers either breakbarrel or fixed. Both are accurate. Like HW line of airguns most but do own one Gamo also. Use .177 and .22 with JSB and H&N dome pellets.

I was old fashioned too up until I shot my first PCP. I don’t like shooting my springers anymore, have one of them for sale and thinking of selling the other one.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I shoot springers and pumpers for their simple self sustainability. Less is more. Except I have way too many of them.

The springers are most convenient. And powerful.

The pumpers are lighter and more compact for the power level. Although not quite as powerful as the larger springer/gas rams.

The $50 pawn shop 22 Nitro Piston looks cheap and junky with it’s baffle tube removed and it’s skinny all-thread looking barrel exposed. The oddly shape kinda ugly plastic stock doesn’t feel natural when carrying it. But it’s a lightweight and fairly compact sledge hammer. The impact is many many times louder than the rifle itself.
For hunting/utility for the money, it can’t be beat.
In spite of how cheap and ugly it looks, I think it along with a custom 1377 carbine would make a nice pair. The 1377 for backpacking or for it’s ability to shoot less than full power.

PCP? Maybe some day.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M

I've got a couple Avengers. 22 and 25 cal. They can get quite a few shots on a fill depending on your reg pressure, and res fill pressure. I have my 22 tuned light, 1200 on the reg, fill to 3500. 100 shots with Crosman 14.3gr at 830 fps/approx 22 ft-lbs.

The 25 is tuned for power. 2200 on the reg, fill to 4300. 25.4gr JSB at 900 fps/46 ft-lbs for 40+ shots.

There is a good detailed series of articles on the Avenger here, This is the last segment, but links to the previous segments are at the bottom of this article.

https://hardairmagazine.com/reviews/air-venturi-avenger-tune-overview-and-hand-pump-power-tune/

Here is a snapshot of different power tunes/reg settings/reservoir fills with the 22 cal,

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

237 members (160user, 22kHornet, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 1OntarioJim, 257 mag, 22 invisible), 1,506 guests, and 911 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,176
Posts18,465,476
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.