Page 1 of 2 1 2
#17911751 12/17/22
L
las Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
L
From ADN - and yeah, the starting wages and benefits need correcting, but really? Street clearing force is down 20% in Anchorage which means even slower clearing after such heavy snowfall.

"out of work" but $21 .23/hr is "not worth their time"????. Apparently sitting home drinking beer is?

No wonder unions sometimes suck.

"According to Alward, the union has 258 members currently on its “out of work” list, meaning they are qualified and trained for handling the various equipment involved in plowing and clearing roads. But at the current wages offered by the city, which start at $21.23 an hour without benefits, he said, it’s not worth their time, especially since many have invested thousands of dollars and weeks of time to obtain commercial driver’s licenses."

Last edited by las; 12/17/22.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
LAS, is that only when it snows? So if it takes you three days to clear up a snowstorm what do they do with you? Do they lay you off?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I wonder what the Davis-Bacon wage is for the same jobs? I'm going to say at least double.

They pay burger flippers $18/hr as a starting wage around here. Skill set for an equipment operator is a lot different.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The elephant in the room... former Mayor Berkie sold the general use pool in his tidying up on his way out. They used to replace half of the heavy equipment each cycle. The replaced stuff was put in a general pool for use by all city utilities. The general pool stuff was sold as it was replaced. Berkie sold it all. Now there is not enough HE and it shows.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Go to Workplace Alaska. The State is hiring equipment operators for $25/hr starting PLUS BENEFITS.

IC B2

L
las Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
L
There were a couple other items in the article.

Maintainence equipment repair crew works a 5 day, 40 hour week- not over weekends. Something breaks on Friday, it's down until Tuesday - if they have parts.

They have about a dozen graders down now for repair. When and if they get the parts. When it comes to availability of goods (not just these) , it appears the good old days are past, and we are no longer a first world nation with a good supply line.

My point in the original post was that they are 20% understaffed (full-time jobs, not terribly susceptible to lay-offs, but the money for wages has to be there also), the union has all of these "out of work" guys, and no one appears willing to work - at least not at those wages, even if those are funded. Being Union "unemployed" is apparently better than working for a sub-par wage.

I'd bet that if qualified non-union "scabs" got hired, the union boys would be on strike tomorrow.

To repeat myself- starting wage and benefits appears inadequate, and needs to be upgraded.

Art is well-off- he can afford increased property tax, plus - I don't live there.... smile. smile

Last edited by las; 12/17/22.

L
las Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by MuskegMan
Go to Workplace Alaska. The State is hiring equipment operators for $25/hr starting PLUS BENEFITS.

That's more reasonable, depending on bumps for seniority, etc, and the specifics in the benefits.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Many don't need any money. Thanks to inflation they have $684,000.00 equity in their home they purchased for $78,655.00 in 1988 during the Great Alaska Real-estate Depression. They have 2.6 million dollars in their stocks and bonds portfolio. They just need to pay their dues, and wait till their pension kicks in.

This is a problem throughout America. Thanks to inflation and the investment markets everyone over fifty is wealthy.

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by AGL4now
Many don't need any money. Thanks to inflation they have $684,000.00 equity in their home they purchased for $78,655.00 in 1988 during the Great Alaska Real-estate Depression. They have 2.6 million dollars in their stocks and bonds portfolio. They just need to pay their dues, and wait till their pension kicks in.

This is a problem throughout America. Thanks to inflation and the investment markets everyone over fifty is wealthy.

You are pulling those numbers out of your ass; and to generalize that everyone over 50 is wealthy is the height of idiocy. May be true for a select few, but they would represent a small percentage.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Unless they sold all of their stocks when Trump was in office, they are down quite a bit. My retirement account has lost quite a bit this year and last due to the Biden economy.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

You are pulling those numbers out of your ass; and to generalize that everyone over 50 is wealthy is the height of idiocy. May be true for a select few, but they would represent a small percentage.
Mighty hard to eat real estate! No matter how valuable!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by las
There were a couple other items in the article.

Maintainence equipment repair crew works a 5 day, 40 hour week- not over weekends. Something breaks on Friday, it's down until Tuesday - if they have parts.

They have about a dozen graders down now for repair. When and if they get the parts. When it comes to availability of goods (not just these) , it appears the good old days are past, and we are no longer a first world nation with a good supply line.

My point in the original post was that they are 20% understaffed (full-time jobs, not terribly susceptible to lay-offs, but the money for wages has to be there also), the union has all of these "out of work" guys, and no one appears willing to work - at least not at those wages, even if those are funded. Being Union "unemployed" is apparently better than working for a sub-par wage.

I'd bet that if qualified non-union "scabs" got hired, the union boys would be on strike tomorrow.

To repeat myself- starting wage and benefits appears inadequate, and needs to be upgraded.

Art is well-off- he can afford increased property tax, plus - I don't live there.... smile. smile
Well off? If I had your money I'd...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Caribou towel???
Moose bible??!!

Tell us!

🤣😎

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
[quote=AGL4now].

Sold a few acres this summer for quarter million cash.

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Klikitarik

Caribou towel???
Moose bible??!!

Tell us!

🤣😎
laughing!

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Klikitarik

Caribou towel???
Moose bible??!!

Tell us!

🤣😎

Just keep farming till its gone?

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

yup

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
[quote=AGL4now].

Sold a few acres this summer for quarter million cash.
Land is a liability until its an asset.

Tax office keeps telling me how much more what I own is worth. Fine. But it ups my taxes and my wages go up.

I don't want to sell what I have. Therefore its a liability. Not an asset at all.

If you choose to sell then you have an asset you can use the cash from.

Thinking that we all think like you is your fault. Its my fault too. I think everyone should think like me.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
And FWIW my pay as a guide isn't much better and zero benefits but I work to pay bills at something I like. There is that.

Those that refuse to work are whats wrong with this country. And unions can make the issue and the people worse.

Who would sit at home making nothing rather than work for something. Heck I take jobs for friends often enough without even asking pay rate. I'm treated fairly enough

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by rost495
And FWIW my pay as a guide isn't much better and zero benefits but I work to pay bills at something I like. There is that.

First year in guiding was "NO PAY" (that was standard then).
Second year (meat packer, camp flunky, shut-up and do what your told to do) $50.00 a day.
Got Asst. Guide License $100.00 per day pay, after two more years $150.00 a day pay.
Got Registered Guide License $200.00 a day pay. Licensed to guide in more the half of the 26 game units, still $200.00 a day pay. It was both fun and hell, glad I spent half my life doing it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (222Sako, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 160user, 53 invisible), 2,686 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,365
Posts18,469,021
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.