-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not for me, though I also won't judge. There's lots of operations like this in Idaho and most every other state. It is their money and as long as they don't try to enter it into B&C or otherwise lie about the situation, I have no objection to it.

I worked on an elk ranch like this one fall when in college. It was fun, but pathetic. I came across no "hunter" that wasn't 100% cognizant of what they were getting themselves into. Most of them fully acknowledged it was nothing but a money transaction. They were OK with it and so was I.

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 10at6
That's not hunting..it's disgusting

I agree. What some guys will do to get a set of antlers on the wall.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Umm…no thank you. Whatever makes the dude happy I guess, but no thank you for me. Congrats to him, I spose. 🙄

Livin ain’t killed me yet, but it’s workin on it!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
A rather hideous "trophy" if you ask me.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Not the bull that gets me up in the morning.

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Brad
I'll never understand a "hunt" like this...

Me neither.

I’m guessing this is Rulon Jones Idaho place?

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I worked on an elk ranch like this one fall when in college. It was fun, but pathetic. I came across no "hunter" that wasn't 100% cognizant of what they were getting themselves into.

Most high fence hunters I’ve met did not fully understand what the situation was.

High fence hunting is not legal in many Rocky Mountain states and many/most other states in the west last I knew. Idaho, Utah, and New Mexico are notable exceptions.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by Brad
I'll never understand a "hunt" like this...

Me neither.

I’m guessing this is Rulon Jones Idaho place?
Yes.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
It's the Broadmouth Canyon Ranch near Firth (near Idaho Falls). Here's a link to the article I saw: TAME ELK
They have a Facebook page with photos of giant mulies, buffalo, and big horns, too. They have about 15 square miles.

Yep, Rulon Jones……

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I worked on an elk ranch like this one fall when in college. It was fun, but pathetic. I came across no "hunter" that wasn't 100% cognizant of what they were getting themselves into.

Most high fence hunters I’ve met did not fully understand what the situation was.

High fence hunting is not legal in many Rocky Mountain states and many/most other states in the west last I knew. Idaho, Utah, and New Mexico are notable exceptions.

Then our experience differers with that.

I do think you are right about the high fence operations in the west though, now that I think about it. I believe operations such as this are illegal in Montana and maybe Wyoming too, but those states have similar bison hunts, so it kind of gets blurry. Not totally sure, to be honest. I believe in some states private elk herds are considered livestock and thus operations such as this are not considered "hunting", so that is one loophole I guess.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Are you guys aware that the connection between Elk Farms and the introduction of CWD into the wild ungulate populations has been made?

That's why I am against it, CWD has had dramatic effects on our Mule Deer Populations in Alberta and Saskatchewan! As in REALLY BAD EFFECTS!

KB

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Then our experience differers with that.

I do think you are right about the high fence operations in the west though, now that I think about it. I believe operations such as this are illegal in Montana and maybe Wyoming too, but those states have similar bison hunts, so it kind of gets blurry. Not totally sure, to be honest. I believe in some states private elk herds are considered livestock and thus operations such as this are not considered "hunting", so that is one loophole I guess.

You’re right in that where wildlife ends and livestock begins can be a blurry line.

Bison were generally considered livestock at one time, so that line is even blurrier…..

In Colorado critters like domestic deer and elk cannot be hunted and killed for a fee. Now if Rulon wanted to let us shoot his bulls for free……

How many of you are aware Rulon Jones was an All Pro defensive lineman for the Orange Crush back in the day?

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna

In Idaho, privately owned animals are considered as livestock. They're regulated by the state Dept of Agriculture, not by the Fish & Game, so the dept of Ag sets any rules. The owners can butcher or sell them in any manner they want as long as it's humane. They're required to have all privately owned animals ear tagged for identification.
Maybe 15 years ago, a high fence farm a few miles from Yellowstone had a bear tear down a fence and about 100 to 150 elk got loose. The owner wasn't having much luck rounding them up and didn't report it for weeks. To prevent them from mixing with wild elk, the governor (currently US senator Jim Risch), ordered a carte blanche on any elk wearing an ear tag. They could be shot on sight by anyone, not just hunters. I don't think all that many got shot and I have no idea how many were finally captured. I think quite a few mixed with the wild herd.

As for ethics, they're livestock. In Idaho, we like our freedom and here we have the freedom to raise and slaughter livestock as we wish. I have no interest in 'hunting' them, but I support the right to do so. It's a business, just like selling cattle or pigs for slaughter. If someone with a lot of money is willing to pay to shoot a cow in a pasture, that's their business.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by KillerBee
Are you guys aware that the connection between Elk Farms and the introduction of CWD into the wild ungulate populations has been made?

That's why I am against it, CWD has had dramatic effects on our Mule Deer Populations in Alberta and Saskatchewan! As in REALLY BAD EFFECTS!

Amen.

Also a lot of the domestic elk have red deer genetics (which may partly explain some of the freak antlers) and just like livestock, some will ALWAYS escape at some point.

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
High fence hunting is unethical. Importantly, how hunters are perceived by the general public is important for our continued privilege to hunt.

In Colorado domestic wildlife like elk are regulated by the state Dept of Ag. Previously they were regulated by Colorado Parks & Wildlife.

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Technically it was the captive mule deer herd at CSU in Ft Collins Colorado that gave us the blight of CWD.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Idaho's Dept of Ag requires all cervids being imported to be tested for CWD and brucellosis.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Amen.

Also a lot of the domestic elk have red deer genetics (which may partly explain some of the freak antlers) and just like livestock, some will ALWAYS escape at some point.

CWD has decimated our MD populations for several reasons. Where I hunted 20 years ago I would see 150+ Mulies every day, now if I see 15 its a good day.

By law we have to now take every deer in to the Gov to have it tested and if its CWD positive, into the garbage the meat goes!

Humans F everything up!

Last edited by KillerBee; 12/18/22.

KB

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
High fence hunting is unethical. Importantly, how hunters are perceived by the general public is important for our continued privilege to hunt.

In Colorado domestic wildlife like elk are regulated by the state Dept of Ag. Previously they were regulated by Colorado Parks & Wildlife.

I know you're referring to the canned operations like in the OP, but I am curious about what you consider "high fence".

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Amen.

CWD has decimated our MD populations for several reasons. Where I hunted 20 years ago I would see 150+ Mulies every day, now if I see 15 its a good day.

By law we have to now have every deer tested and if its CWD positive, into the garbage the meat goes!

Humans F everything up!

I wonder why cwd decimates mule deer but not elk...weird stuff.

Last edited by Jackson_Handy; 12/17/22.
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

161 members (5sdad, 2ndwind, 17CalFan, 907brass, 257_X_50, 29 invisible), 1,927 guests, and 1,017 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,493
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.