Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I'm sure those elk are fed high quality feed during the antler growing season. I do have to wonder what that one tastes like...or chews like. I suspect that he's good for bologna and not much else.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by KillerBee
The guy that shot that elk also hunts on Pheasant farms where they tie the pheasant to trees

KB

That's disgusting. Now, Huns- I can see doing that to. Likely the only way I'd ever hit one of the little bastards.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I'm sure those elk are fed high quality feed during the antler growing season. I do have to wonder what that one tastes like...or chews like. I suspect that he's good for bologna and not much else.

Probably tastes like stocked trout. No thanks.
My guess is the guy never had a bite of it anyway. IMO, schit like this is a bad look for "hunters". At a time when there are fewer and fewer people that hunt, the optics are bad.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

No dog in the fight here. This bull was killed on a ranch (high fence) near me by an eighty year old guy who had never shot an elk. It wasn’t advertised as a hunt by the operator, in fact he told the client that they were grain and hay fed and would be great eating. Day of the “hunt” client showed up, operator put him in the side by side, drove out to the pasture, dropped the windscreen, set up bipod and sandbags and shot the bull. Loaded him with the tractor and processed meat and hide. The head and cape were taken by my buddy to the taxidermist for him. That’s where I snapped the pic. I don’t care what a guy does with his money as long as they’re honest about what’s going on. That goes for both the client and operator. Unlike that d-bag Sharp things in the archery forum.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mbogo2106
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

No dog in the fight here. This bull was killed on a ranch (high fence) near me by an eighty year old guy who had never shot an elk. It wasn’t advertised as a hunt by the operator, in fact he told the client that they were grain and hay fed and would be great eating. Day of the “hunt” client showed up, operator put him in the side by side, drove out to the pasture, dropped the windscreen, set up bipod and sandbags and shot the bull. Loaded him with the tractor and processed meat and hide. The head and cape were taken by my buddy to the taxidermist for him. That’s where I snapped the pic. I don’t care what a guy does with his money as long as they’re honest about what’s going on. That goes for both the client and operator. Unlike that d-bag Sharp things in the archery forum.
That's pretty much what I've been saying. Penned elk are livestock, not wild animals. If the owner can find someone to butcher one for him, more power to him. It's not a hunt and not intended to be one.
What's the difference between this and butchering a bovine bull for the hide? They sometimes make very attractive rugs or wall hangings. I can drive by a house with a pen raised cow or elk head on the wall 10 times a day and it won't affect me in the least. My friends and I hunt them for real and that's good enough for me. I don't care what others do.

[Linked Image from thetaxidermystore.com]

― George Orwell

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Mbogo2106

And he got a pile of some of the best meat there is, that could've been his whole goal. That, and a nice set of horns always looks good, no matter where they came from.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Was CSU studying whatever had been causing sheep to get sick and die for centuries, they just didn't know at the time they were studying scrapie?

I think they were studying lungworm. Of course they have been studying lungworm in bighorns forever. Lungworm is another disease that has never (or yet) determined if the white man brought here from Europe or if it was already present. I know a lot of biologists have come to the conclusion that lungworm will always be present and bighorns will always be dying of it.

There have been proposals to prohibit sheep and goats from certain public land areas to minimize exposure to lungworm.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
As an added note to the CWD part of this thread: The epicenter of a disease is generally considered the most likely area where a disease evolved and/or got its start. In the case of CWD in mule deer the epicenter is east of Cheyenne near the Nebraska border and just north of I-70.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I think it’s up to hunters to police ourselves. If we don’t call people out and let them know this isn’t real hunting, this trend will likely continue and will make things worse for future hunters. I unapologetically won’t support this type of garbage.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by johna1
Judging by the guys clothes in the picture, must not have been too hard of a "hunt" considering his blue jeans or red t shirt aren't even dirty or sweaty.
He just stepped out of the 4 seater Polaris Ranger. Did that elk have an ear tag?

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by shootbrownelk
Originally Posted by johna1
Judging by the guys clothes in the picture, must not have been too hard of a "hunt" considering his blue jeans or red t shirt aren't even dirty or sweaty.
He just stepped out of the 4 seater Polaris Ranger. Did that elk have an ear tag?
By law it had one. They likely removed it for the photos.

― George Orwell

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Not even an attractive head, IMHO.

I'll take a normal 350 rack anytime over something like that.

MM
I agree.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Each to their own.
I'll not say anything bad about anyone in regard to how they hunt or not hunt.

It's their business, not mine.

You all have a good day.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I have an acquaintance near Brownwood, TX with 1,200 fenced acres.

They sell hunts, whitetail and elk.

He told me a guy drove out from Dallas to shoot a 6-point elk.
He asked the shooter if he wanted the elk turned loose out of the 40 acre pasture that it was in.
Nope, just got out of his vehicle and shot the elk.

I guess he had the itch and the money, but I wouldn't do it.

The cow is where you are, the bull is where you want to be.

No one gets something for nothing unless someone else got nothing for something.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
If only you had the required intelligence to attain some money......or rich parents.

Originally Posted by smokepole
And he got a pile of some of the best meat there is, that could've been his whole goal. That, and a nice set of horns always looks good, no matter where they came from.

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Hammerdown
Each to their own.

You all have a good day.

This.

It’s his money. Just don’t try to pass it off as something it ain’t.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Money shouldn’t null fair chase. This reflects poorly on hunters and hunting in general. Dignity should still mean something. Apparently it doesn’t to some people anymore. If doing this sort of thing makes a person happy, I won’t support it. To each their own is right

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Originally Posted by Hammerdown
Each to their own.

You all have a good day.

This.

It’s his money. Just don’t try to pass it off as something it ain’t.

P

Which it wasn't reading a post above.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
You can only have fair chase with wild animals. These are livestock. They're bred and raised to be shot, just like an angus steer but with big antlers.

― George Orwell

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
You can only have fair chase with wild animals. These are livestock. They're bred and raised to be shot, just like an angus steer but with big antlers.

Which is how the hunt appears to have been represented, legally.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

514 members (1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 58 invisible), 2,491 guests, and 1,147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,166
Posts18,465,308
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.