Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by PJGunner
I seem to remember a few years back when an employee of California Fish & Game did a legal Mountain lion hunt in ANOTHER state and they fired his ass. Guess he has a chance if winning a lawsuit for unreasonable termination or some such.
PJ

Daniel Richards president of California fish and game commission . Idaho cat hunt if I remember right and Ca Lieutenant Governor Gavin Newsom whined about it because his dad Judge William Newsom was president of Sacramento based Mountain Lion Preservation Foundation.

Last edited by sidepass; 12/09/22.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by steveredd1
cat attacks my dog when out on a walk, won't turn out good for the cat
Yes, except cats almost always come up from behind.

had a bobcat do that once while hunting

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We need to put some grizzly bears in California to help control the mountain lions.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AKA_Spook
Put that poor animal out of its misery.

Put some of the people out there out of our misery.

Why do I have to press 1, for English?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by minengr
Cali banned cat hunting. Now they pay professionals to kill them instead.

I say they relocate them to downtown to help with the homeless problem. Maybe send a few to San Fran.

Hmmmm

Last edited by roverboy; 12/11/22.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by roverboy
Originally Posted by minengr
Cali banned cat hunting. Now they pay professionals to kill them instead.

I say they relocate them to downtown to help with the homeless problem. Maybe send a few to San Fran.

Hmmmm
There's an idea there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
We need to put some grizzly bears in California to help control the mountain lions.
Why shouldn't grizzlies be turned loose in California? After all they are native to the state. Lots of liberal Californians support turning wolves loose on privately owned livestock in the western states.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by mtnsnake

We've got several here in eastern Idaho that need to go to LA and San Fran. They haven't been hunted in decades and have no fear of man.

Bb

JeffA Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

P-22, L.A.'s celebrity mountain lion, captured in the backyard of a Los Feliz home

[Linked Image from ca-times.brightspotcdn.com]
DEC. 12, 2022
More than a decade after crossing the 405 and 101 freeways to reach his longtime home in Griffith Park, the celebrity mountain lion P-22 made a far less glamorous journey Monday, carried out of a Los Feliz backyard in a blanket by scientists who had sedated him for medical testing.

The aging cougar is in stable condition and will undergo further evaluation, the California Department of Fish and Wildlife and National Park Service said Monday evening. Officials said they had received an anonymous report Sunday that P-22 had been hit by a car but did not provide more details on his condition.

They did not say whether they planned to release P-22 in Griffith Park or elsewhere. The agencies said in a joint statement that they had “already been in contact with leading institutions for animal care and rehabilitation centers.”

P-22 is about 12 years old, which is geriatric by wild mountain lion standards. He became a wanted cat last week when wildlife officials announced their plans to trap and evaluate him. Long wary of busy areas, P-22 had started to venture farther south into Silver Lake and stay there longer.

Recent changes in his behavior — including killing a leashed Chihuahua in the Hollywood Hills and attacking another dog in Silver Lake — could be “signs of distress,” officials said.

Beth Pratt, the California regional executive director for the National Wildlife Federation, said she “burst into tears” when she got the news of P-22’s capture Monday.

“It’s so obvious that he’s in some distress, something that has radically changed his behavior,” said Pratt, who for years has called herself “P-22’s agent.”

Nature groups have received a flood of communications from worried Los Angeles residents, wondering whether he is healthy and what will happen next.

“I’d be lying if I said I hadn’t been moved by the communication we’ve received,” Korinna Domingo, founder and director of the Cougar Conservancy, said Monday. The group has seen “just absolute support for him and concern for his well-being.”

The big cat’s capture could mark the end of an era. It’s highly unlikely that another mountain lion could safely cross the 405 and 101 freeways to reach Griffith Park, let alone stay there for so long, feasting on mule deer and occasionally appearing on video doorbell cameras on hilly streets nearby.

For more than a decade, the presence of a mountain lion in the center of Los Angeles has been a source of pride for Angelenos, proof that the city is wilder and more accepting than people may think.

Catching a glimpse of P-22 on a nighttime prowl became one of the most coveted celebrity sightings in Los Angeles. P-22 is so popular that, when wildlife officials announced his wanted status Thursday, they warned civilians to stay away from the big cat and leave the capturing to professionals.

On Monday morning, biologists tracked P-22 to a backyard in Los Feliz using the signal from his GPS collar, which sends regular data on his location to scientists conducting a federal study of the local mountain lion population.

Homeowner Sarah Picchi was on a work call when the wildlife officials buzzed her front gate. She heard “something wildlife,” thought the group was canvassing for a charity, and told them it wasn’t a good time.

“The woman said, ‘No, I’m with Wildlife. You have a lion in your backyard,’ ” Picchi said. “Of course, I knew it was P-22, because I’ve been following the story.”

Wildlife officials asked Picchi to keep her dog inside while they sedated P-22 with a dart. Then they carried the big cat out of the muddy yard in a bright green blanket used as a sling. Picchi’s photos and videos show wildlife officials examining the puma on the pavement, loading him into a wildlife crate and lifting it onto the back of a truck. The whole process took about 40 minutes.

Picchi said she was told P-22 had spent the night in the yard and was going to be taken to a zoo for further evaluation.

“It was the most exciting day we’ve ever had at our house,” she said. “My husband and I hope P-22 is safe, and, like the rest of L.A., we’re just rooting for him.”

Wildlife officials are continuing to evaluate P-22 in a “top, top facility,” Pratt said Monday. She said scientists are relieved he appears to be in stable condition, but they are still checking him out.

“They’ll have to dive a little deeper, just like you do with people,” Pratt said. That will include a CT scan and evaluations for mange and internal damage from rodenticides, common conditions among Southern California’s urban puma population.

P-22 previously survived a bout of mange after eating an animal that had ingested rat poison. The big cat showed up on trail-camera footage looking gaunt, his tail as thin as a pipe cleaner. Biologists trapped him, treated him with topical medications and vitamin K injections, and released him.

At the time, only two other cougars studied by the federal government had contracted mange, and both eventually died. But P-22 made a full recovery.

What comes after P-22’s health evaluation will depend in part on what biologists find. The agencies said in a joint statement Monday that Fish and Wildlife veterinarians and National Park Service biologists “will determine the best next steps for the animal while also prioritizing the safety of the surrounding communities.”

It is a difficult question with “no magic answers,” especially when dealing with a mountain lion no longer in his prime, Pratt said. She said the CDFW and the NPS will consider all options, including releasing P-22 into the wild or moving him to a wildlife sanctuary.

“Nobody is talking euthanasia,” Pratt said. That could change, she said, if scientists discover that P-22 is suffering from a “really serious health condition,” which could force a conversation about the most humane option, she said.

P-22 surprised the world in 2012 when his fluffy hindquarters appeared on a photograph snapped by a motion-sensing camera in Griffith Park. Miguel Ordeñana, then a 29-year-old wildlife biologist, spotted the “big puma butt” and unmistakable black-tipped tail and couldn’t believe his eyes.

Scientists had assumed P-22 would soon move on in search of a mate and more space to roam. Instead, he stayed in Los Feliz, becoming a bona fide celebrity after National Geographic published a dramatic photo of the mountain lion prowling past the Hollywood sign at night.

The discovery was like “seeing Bigfoot or a chupacabra,” said Ordeñana, who now works for the Natural History Museum. Within weeks, the National Park Service had trapped the puma and given him a tracking collar and a name: P-22. (That’s P for puma, the 22nd in the federal study of local pumas.) P-22 is now the oldest puma in the study.

JeffA Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
If they do find the need for P-22 to be euthanized, I'd love to be in the position to offer their precious save the fu_ckin cat foundation a sizable donation if I could be honored with the task of having P-22's dead carcass preserved by a taxidermist so he might might never be forgotten and would live forever.

I'd have my taxidermist make him into a bed for my dog.

[Linked Image from showpiecetaxidermy.com]

IC B3

JeffA Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

[Linked Image from miro.medium.com]

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by steveredd1
cat attacks my dog when out on a walk, won't turn out good for the cat
Bet your dog won't be in such fine shape either.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JeffA

P-22, L.A.'s celebrity mountain lion, captured in the backyard of a Los Feliz home

DEC. 12, 2022
More than a decade after crossing the 405 and 101 freeways to reach his longtime home in Griffith Park, the celebrity mountain lion P-22 made a far less glamorous journey Monday, carried out of a Los Feliz backyard in a blanket by scientists who had sedated him for medical testing.

The aging cougar is in stable condition and will undergo further evaluation, the California Department of Fish and Wildlife and National Park Service said Monday evening. Officials said they had received an anonymous report Sunday that P-22 had been hit by a car but did not provide more details on his condition.

They did not say whether they planned to release P-22 in Griffith Park or elsewhere. The agencies said in a joint statement that they had “already been in contact with leading institutions for animal care and rehabilitation centers.”

P-22 is about 12 years old, which is geriatric by wild mountain lion standards. He became a wanted cat last week when wildlife officials announced their plans to trap and evaluate him. Long wary of busy areas, P-22 had started to venture farther south into Silver Lake and stay there longer.

Recent changes in his behavior — including killing a leashed Chihuahua in the Hollywood Hills and attacking another dog in Silver Lake — could be “signs of distress,” officials said.

Beth Pratt, the California regional executive director for the National Wildlife Federation, said she “burst into tears” when she got the news of P-22’s capture Monday.

“It’s so obvious that he’s in some distress, something that has radically changed his behavior,” said Pratt, who for years has called herself “P-22’s agent.”

Nature groups have received a flood of communications from worried Los Angeles residents, wondering whether he is healthy and what will happen next.

“I’d be lying if I said I hadn’t been moved by the communication we’ve received,” Korinna Domingo, founder and director of the Cougar Conservancy, said Monday. The group has seen “just absolute support for him and concern for his well-being.”

The big cat’s capture could mark the end of an era. It’s highly unlikely that another mountain lion could safely cross the 405 and 101 freeways to reach Griffith Park, let alone stay there for so long, feasting on mule deer and occasionally appearing on video doorbell cameras on hilly streets nearby.

For more than a decade, the presence of a mountain lion in the center of Los Angeles has been a source of pride for Angelenos, proof that the city is wilder and more accepting than people may think.

Catching a glimpse of P-22 on a nighttime prowl became one of the most coveted celebrity sightings in Los Angeles. P-22 is so popular that, when wildlife officials announced his wanted status Thursday, they warned civilians to stay away from the big cat and leave the capturing to professionals.

On Monday morning, biologists tracked P-22 to a backyard in Los Feliz using the signal from his GPS collar, which sends regular data on his location to scientists conducting a federal study of the local mountain lion population.

Homeowner Sarah Picchi was on a work call when the wildlife officials buzzed her front gate. She heard “something wildlife,” thought the group was canvassing for a charity, and told them it wasn’t a good time.

“The woman said, ‘No, I’m with Wildlife. You have a lion in your backyard,’ ” Picchi said. “Of course, I knew it was P-22, because I’ve been following the story.”

Wildlife officials asked Picchi to keep her dog inside while they sedated P-22 with a dart. Then they carried the big cat out of the muddy yard in a bright green blanket used as a sling. Picchi’s photos and videos show wildlife officials examining the puma on the pavement, loading him into a wildlife crate and lifting it onto the back of a truck. The whole process took about 40 minutes.

Picchi said she was told P-22 had spent the night in the yard and was going to be taken to a zoo for further evaluation.

“It was the most exciting day we’ve ever had at our house,” she said. “My husband and I hope P-22 is safe, and, like the rest of L.A., we’re just rooting for him.”

Wildlife officials are continuing to evaluate P-22 in a “top, top facility,” Pratt said Monday. She said scientists are relieved he appears to be in stable condition, but they are still checking him out.

“They’ll have to dive a little deeper, just like you do with people,” Pratt said. That will include a CT scan and evaluations for mange and internal damage from rodenticides, common conditions among Southern California’s urban puma population.

P-22 previously survived a bout of mange after eating an animal that had ingested rat poison. The big cat showed up on trail-camera footage looking gaunt, his tail as thin as a pipe cleaner. Biologists trapped him, treated him with topical medications and vitamin K injections, and released him.

At the time, only two other cougars studied by the federal government had contracted mange, and both eventually died. But P-22 made a full recovery.

What comes after P-22’s health evaluation will depend in part on what biologists find. The agencies said in a joint statement Monday that Fish and Wildlife veterinarians and National Park Service biologists “will determine the best next steps for the animal while also prioritizing the safety of the surrounding communities.”

It is a difficult question with “no magic answers,” especially when dealing with a mountain lion no longer in his prime, Pratt said. She said the CDFW and the NPS will consider all options, including releasing P-22 into the wild or moving him to a wildlife sanctuary.

“Nobody is talking euthanasia,” Pratt said. That could change, she said, if scientists discover that P-22 is suffering from a “really serious health condition,” which could force a conversation about the most humane option, she said.

P-22 surprised the world in 2012 when his fluffy hindquarters appeared on a photograph snapped by a motion-sensing camera in Griffith Park. Miguel Ordeñana, then a 29-year-old wildlife biologist, spotted the “big puma butt” and unmistakable black-tipped tail and couldn’t believe his eyes.

Scientists had assumed P-22 would soon move on in search of a mate and more space to roam. Instead, he stayed in Los Feliz, becoming a bona fide celebrity after National Geographic published a dramatic photo of the mountain lion prowling past the Hollywood sign at night.

The discovery was like “seeing Bigfoot or a chupacabra,” said Ordeñana, who now works for the Natural History Museum. Within weeks, the National Park Service had trapped the puma and given him a tracking collar and a name: P-22. (That’s P for puma, the 22nd in the federal study of local pumas.) P-22 is now the oldest puma in the study.
How much will this cost the California tax payers just to see if a cat has mange?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

DEC. 12, 2022

How much will this cost the California tax payers just to see if a cat has mange?

I do believe one or both of those stories about this cat mentioned the Feds are doing the mange studies.

If so, then it's costing all of y'all. and not just us Caliotos.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

DEC. 12, 2022

I do believe one or both of those stories about this cat mentioned the Feds are doing the mange studies.

If so, then it's costing all of y'all. and not just us Caliotos.
Yep, both mentioned it.

He needs to snack on this gals pup or cat if she thinks so highly of him.

JeffA Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
That'd be something considering he's dead

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Didn't catch that in the article.

Maybe more will take his place.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 12/17/22.

JeffA Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The local pets are probably celebrating

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Are they gunna Fire the person that put him down

They had the head of the Fish and Game fired years back that won a Lottery to go to Idaho and kill a Bad Cat not even in this Commy state.

Equal Justice
P22 was in this State so it was Murder as far as i am Concerned.
I do not care how unhealthy the cat was.

Fire a guy for going out of the State to Kill a Bad Cat
They Need to Fire the person that put a Celebrity Cat living in Commyfornia down and charge that person with what they went after the Head of the Fish and Game with years back.

Equal Justice.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Why don't they at least relocate P22 somewhere far from neighborhoods?
He would just go back home. What's 100 miles to a cougar? Or he would find civilization to move into where he was relocated. He is getting old, kids are next on the menu.

Good Call.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

596 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 160user, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 73 invisible), 2,027 guests, and 1,179 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,264
Posts18,448,240
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.