Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have rails on a few, but also tried one on my Fieldcraft and it was too high, futzing up what had been a very solid cheek-weld, so back to Talleys. One of my Howa Minis has Wayne York’s floorplate, and that’s tricky enough to load with two-piece bases, so no rail for it either. The other Mini has the crappy plastic mag setup replaced with an aluminum guard that takes CZ 527 mags, so it has a rail, and it’s still easy to drop rounds in the top for single loading. As a couple mentioned above, rails make running the optics rodeo easier, and if they’re precisely made, swapping between rifles without disturbing the rings is possible. While I like the inserts some Burris rings have, the Zee rings’ clamping slot may have to be pried open before you can get them off, not very convenient. For rings that will get swapped on and off, I like ones with 1/2” nuts, like Mountain Tech and the Chinese ones SWFA gives away during their sales.

My 10/22 CSC has a 30moa rail machined into the receiver, and I change optics on that about like I do my socks. Red dots, prisms, scopes, and lasers have all taken a ride on that one.

If your rifle has irons, you probably need a mount with a channel down the middle so you can see the sights. Weaver bases have that and some EGW rails too.

What fresh Hell is this?
BP-B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by stealthgoat
On hunting rifles I am also primarily using Burris Xtreme Tactical 2 pc bases, a great value.

I'm a fan of Burris x Tactical 2 piece on hunting rifles, mainly due to leaving the area over the action open as well as their low height. Fit pic rings, still allow you to swap scopes but you may need to loosen one ring and adjust it....but as long as your receiver and holes are good it's not a problem.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Maxwell
Originally Posted by okie john
With a 200-yard zero, the 100-yard POI was to the left and the 300-yard POI was to the right.

Over here with a pencil and paper desperately trying to figure out how this would be possible...

Could it be that the holes in the rail were off so the rail was not in alignment with the barrel? Think side-by-side double rifle - it's only regulated (common point of impact for the two barrels) for one distance if the barrels aren't perfectly parallel. Substitute a laser beam coming from the scope - at 200 yards, the bullet and laser beam would cross but before 200 yds the bullet would always be left of the beam, and then after 200 yds the bullet would continue past the beam so it was to the right of the beam for the rest of its flight.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Originally Posted by stealthgoat
On hunting rifles I am also primarily using Burris Xtreme Tactical 2 pc bases, a great value.

I'm a fan of Burris x Tactical 2 piece on hunting rifles, mainly due to leaving the area over the action open as well as their low height. Fit pic rings, still allow you to swap scopes but you may need to loosen one ring and adjust it....but as long as your receiver and holes are good it's not a problem.

Those are what I have on my M70 7mm mag. They leave the action open for ease of access to the magazine and let you use any picatinny style rings. The weaver style bases don't let you use picatinny rings. If I don't need a 20 MOA base then they're what I use.

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I ended up getting a leupold rail for my Model 7 saum. Here to hoping it works with meopta factory rings.

Last edited by RatherBHuntin; 02/06/23.
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by RatherBHuntin
I ended up getting a leupold rail for my Model 7 saum. Here to hoping it works with meopta factory rings.

That's nice. What did you end up putting on your model 70, that was the rifle of topic in the OP.. ??

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'm sick of soft aluminum rails...what a racket....I'd rather have steel 2 piece bases. All my rails will be steel from Murphy's Precision from now on.

Cowardice is the greatest pandemic that has ever affected mankind.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Ran Weavers forever, no problems.
But do think some are nicer.

So, for my Contender barrels, EABCO.
Other rifles will get upgraded to EGW or Recknagel.

Last edited by hookeye; 02/11/23.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
683 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 79 invisible), 3,085 guests, and 1,448 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,679
Posts18,399,581
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.