Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I try to get up around 20’ with my saddle but I hear about guys going higher or lower based upon terrain etc.

What’s your take?

BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't have a set height. Never really measured.

Edge of a field, I tend to go higher. I just go till I can't anymore those I'd guess most all my stands end up in that 15-20 feet range.

Me

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I use mostly hang-on's with screw in steps and go up 8 pegs which works out to around 18' at the platform. This usually works out well for me but I'll go up or down a peg or two depending on obstacles or sidehills.

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Over a lifetime of hunting from tree stands, it has varied by the surrounding tree canopy and brush height. The last few years it has been around 20' because that was high enough to see over the surrounding brush with enough angle to shoot into. I want to be below the heavier surrounding tree canopy, but above the ground level scent stream. 40-50' wasn't out of the question if the brush line was much taller. The "Penthouse" seat was stupid high in a big white pine overlooking a popple regeneration area, but deer were more important to me back in my foolhardy youth. The wife wants my butt about 2' off the ground on a camp stool, so I don't tell her much about my hunting locations. I've gotten better shot presentations on un-alarmed deer from a tree stand than I do hunting from the ground.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Bill_N
I use mostly hang-on's with screw in steps and go up 8 pegs which works out to around 18' at the platform. This usually works out well for me but I'll go up or down a peg or two depending on obstacles or sidehills.

That’s roughly what I do with my sticks & platform also

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Windfall
Over a lifetime of hunting from tree stands, it has varied by the surrounding tree canopy and brush height. The last few years it has been around 20' because that was high enough to see over the surrounding brush with enough angle to shoot into. I want to be below the heavier surrounding tree canopy, but above the ground level scent stream. 40-50' wasn't out of the question if the brush line was much taller. The "Penthouse" seat was stupid high in a big white pine overlooking a popple regeneration area, but deer were more important to me back in my foolhardy youth. The wife wants my butt about 2' off the ground on a camp stool, so I don't tell her much about my hunting locations. I've gotten better shot presentations on un-alarmed deer from a tree stand than I do hunting from the ground.

I hear ya on the wifely concern. My wife asked one day what saddle hunting was & she wanted to see how it worked. I’m
Not even sure I made my final stick placement and she said she’d seen enough. Lol.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I used to average around 20', but my "hang-on" days are over. Now if I'm not on the ground, I'm either in a ladder stand or a box blind if the weather's crap. 2 bad shoulders and 2 bad knees have lowered my altitude!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
15 feet because I start to get nervous at 20 and forget 25

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
20' to 22' range where possible. It's where I'm comfortable and has worked well for me for a lot of years. Plus, to go any higher, I'd need to buy more climbing sticks!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
12 foot to the bottom. But I traditional bow hunt. Any higher and the shot angle seems a little steep for me. Lone wolf with 3 sticks and an aider gets you there easy.seems at this hight my eyes are 18 feet or so when I stand to shoot.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft

I hear ya on the wifely concern. My wife asked one day what saddle hunting was & she wanted to see how it worked. I’m
Not even sure I made my final stick placement and she said she’d seen enough. Lol.

laugh laugh

The only time I'll be suspended in a tree is if I had a platform malfunction/failure and my harness saved me. blush

Average height for me generally 18' - generally hang-ons are 20'-ish but a lot of 16' ladder stands and some a little lower yet when getting any higher isn't an advantage.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I usually setup on a ridge and hunt looking down into a bottom. Usually its a edge where old and new clear cut meet up with mature pines.
I’m rifle hunting. I only go up high enough to be able to shoot over the bush and have a clear shot down into the bottom without getting over the trees behind me. If .i get up over the stuff behind me they can make me out. The place i am hunting next week I will only be up about 12 feet. About every other time I hunt I hunt this climber I have deer walk right beside me within 15 yards. Very seldom do they spook. And that depends on the wind.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
my current stand is 14 feet high. Plenty enough height for me and for where I hunt. Line of sight to the swamp edge is just over 65 yards. We have taken three bucks so far this year from that stand.

Sam......

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks all - this is exactly what I was hoping to hear about. As different as we all hunt we sorta hunt the same.
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft

laugh laugh

The only time I'll be suspended in a tree is if I had a platform malfunction/failure and my harness saved me. blush

I can relate. When I first started saddle hunting I had to practice in the yard for a few months ahead of season to get comfortable. Even now there are times that I wish I had a stand

Last edited by PintsofCraft; 12/19/22.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
No preferred height. But, I'll only go as high as I think I need to. Most successfull treestand we had growing up was only about 10' to the platform. The Cedartree Blind was in a pine tree with lots of limbs. Enough that we used the limbs as steps! One was well hidden and the height really gave all the visibility you were going to get. Dad killed 7 bucks in 7 years running with a bow on the day before gun season out of that stand.

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Teeder
I used to average around 20', but my "hang-on" days are over. Now if I'm not on the ground, I'm either in a ladder stand or a box blind if the weather's crap. 2 bad shoulders and 2 bad knees have lowered my altitude!

Pretty much my situation as well.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Really depends on the surrounding terrain. Some places extra height helps, some it decreases line of sight or clear shots. In most cases, I prefer higher if possible...but I'm hunting with a rifle, not bow. According to the pullup rope I use, most often, my waist is ~25' off the ground....which is where I run out of rope.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I'd have to measure my chair, but probably 18" or so. laugh

We have ladder stands that are only 1 ladder up. My son's is 17' to the platform I think. Quite a few of our areas are easier to see on the ground.

Where I shot my buck this year sitting on the ground on a hillside that has a lot of deer sign in the area. Plenty of times I hunt through the woods and find a place to sit for some time. Sometimes 10 minutes, sometimes 4-5 hours. Hell, sometimes all day. All day sites are usually in a blind for me these days though.

Camp is where you make it.
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I used to go up and down elevator shafts, or pipe shafts, in a Bosun's Chair installing electrical conduit runs. Typically, heights don't bother me much at all. But then, never did that, or use a treestand, without a very good fall restraint harness.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Lock on and ladders usually 18-20' if trees and topography permit. Climbers 20-22'

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
684 members (12344mag, 160user, 12308300, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 69 invisible), 2,700 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,617
Posts18,398,496
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.