Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Thinking about going on one. What were your experiences? Good, bad, indifferent. Any outfitters that you used.

Thanks in advance,

DR

GB1

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
While Argentina is awesome, another option is Bolivia, which has the same unimaginable numbers of dove but is closer, which not only is nice in terms of easier access, but it causes your airline fare to be a bit better.

Bolivian Adventures is an incredible place to hunt and is owned by Jorge “George” Molina and his sons. They’re all US educated and have quite a following among hunters that head to South America for their high volume wing shooting.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I went on a 5 day dove hunt a couple of years ago with Maers & Goldman. Great accommodations, great service. I would definitely go with them again. You will shoot until you are tired of shooting.

However, 5 days of high volume dove shooting is a LOT of shooting. Using their shotguns, 20 gauge semi autos, our shoulders were still very sore from the thousands of rounds we shot. Take a PAST pad or something similar with you. When we go again, I will choose a combination hunt they offer-2 days doves, 2 days waterfowl, and a day of tarpon fishing.

Regards,
Manny

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dove hunting has never been the same after Argentina. I laughed the first morning when I got to my blind, and they had a case (500 shells - two flats) sitting next to my chair. You can guess what happened ~2 hours later the birds were still churning in and I was out of shells ... at one shell per bird.

I may have some video ... wink

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
One interesting dynamic about some of the places you can go in South America is that you’ll find that they push or encourage hunters to get competitive and “praise” who in your group shoots the most in a day as you come away talking about shooting 2,000 times or some other amazing amount. While no doubt that can be an extraordinary opportunity, keep in mind the outfitter may have an ulterior motive as the more the hunters get drawn into the competitive angle of all this—the more money the outfitter makes, as remember, you’ll be buying the shells at a premium price from them. Gringos thinking they should measure success by the amount of shots, I suspect, has the outfitters laughing all the way to the bank…. 😀
My recommendation is ignore any competitive push and just have fun.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My father used to go to Columbia every year back in the 70's, he would shoot a case of 20 boxes of 25 rounds per day. Then as he told me, he donated all of the meat to to local Brothel, I have no idea why???

I sure do miss that man!

KB

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RickBin
Dove hunting has never been the same after Argentina. I laughed the first morning when I got to my blind, and they had a case (500 shells - two flats) sitting next to my chair. You can guess what happened ~2 hours later the birds were still churning in and I was out of shells ... at one shell per bird.

I may have some video ... wink

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Same thing with Teal in Columbia, my father was shooting 300 a day on average.

So here is the million dollar question: Why have a Limit on them in North America?

Makes ZERO sense to me.

Last edited by KillerBee; 12/19/22.

KB

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by KillerBee
Same thing with Teal in Columbia, my father was shooting 300 a day on average.

So here is the million dollar question: Why have a Limit on them in North America?

Makes ZERO sense to me.

Very few residents of countries like Argentina hunt. Hunters are mostly from out of the country.

While there is no limit on doves and pigeons, and there shouldn’t be because they are an actual nuisance and destroy crops, the outfitters police the wildlife themselves.

When we were there, the outfitter imposed a 25 duck limit. They were trying to manage the birds properly because of drought conditions

I’m sure it varies outfitter to outfitter based on $$$

The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That can very well be I do know my father was shooting 300 teal per day, were I am from your daily limit is 2 lol

I have ZERO issues with it. I personally stopped shooting ducks because I do not like the taste, and I do not like to kill what I do not eat. Same reason why I stopped killing bears.

KB

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by KillerBee
That can very well be I do know my father was shooting 300 teal per day, were I am from your daily limit is 2 lol

I have ZERO issues with it. I personally stopped shooting ducks because I do not like the taste, and I do not like to kill what I do not eat. Same reason why I stopped killing bears.

Boneless breast them and sear RARE.

You’ll think it’s a ribeye

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I shot some dove after a stag hunt in La Pampa. I could quickly see it getting expensive at ~$13 USD per box of shells. Think: the arrow scene from 300, when the arrows blotted out the sun.

I spent the day hunting perdiz and two species of sharptail grouse looking bird instead. It was way cheaper.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I shot some dove after a stag hunt in La Pampa. I could quickly see it getting expensive at ~$13 USD per box of shells. Think: the arrow scene from 300, when the arrows blotted out the sun.

I spent the day hunting perdiz and two species of sharptail grouse looking bird instead. It was way cheaper.

My shell bill was $5000.00 for 3 days. Most I killed in one day was 2,500 and I was exhausted

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Originally Posted by T_Inman

My shell bill was $5000.00 for 3 days. Most I killed in one day was 2,500 and I was exhausted

I bet you were!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Boneless breast them and sear RARE.

You’ll think it’s a ribeye

I prefer my father's idea and approach lol

Wishing you the best Christmas ever as well as a healthy and successful New year!

KB

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

161 members (5sdad, 2ndwind, 17CalFan, 907brass, 257_X_50, 28 invisible), 1,924 guests, and 1,015 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,493
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.