Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by MIKEWERNER
Without access? Huh?

And......if you wait for 'leftovers', you can purchase a type 4 tag that does NOT chew your preference points. Surprised 'tex didn't know that, but half the folks are below average.

Still full price (and they still go fast), but a fall back if the 4 combined opportunities at a type 6 do not pan out.

BuzzH posted a gut-shot bull pic a while back. You must have scheduled a colonoscopy, and missed it.

Originally Posted by wytex
A Wyoming zone 7 (excuse me......hunt area 7), type 6 cow tag is valid from August 15th through December 31st. Valid for archery and rifle, some stipulations.

Even if you are relatively brainless (like Brad).........it's a no-brainer.

For a gutshooting archer (like BuzzH)........crossbows are legal for everyone.

Always wanted to hunt all season(s).......and then just tag a cow on December 31st.

2020.....December 26th.
2021.....December 29th.
2022.....November 20th (going backwards)

Maybe next year.

If you have the time (like me)...Wyoming.

Yeah great advice if you want to search for elk without access.
Funny Mike, as Buzz posted more elk pics than anyone else on here. He helped get a handful of elk for himself and other folks but yet he's a gut shooter ?

I would look at Colorado OTC elk and then maybe also out in for a Wyoming reduced price cow tag that has the same season. Co seasons are short and Wyoming cow elk seasons usually run pretty long. Might have succeNotss in one or the other on the same trip.

Wyoming also has some Type 4 cow elk licenses that are full price and take PPs but many can be drawn with 0 PPs or in the leftover draw.

Wow Mike some great advice...who knew that ANY leftover tag didn't take your points? Same with a second choice in the initial draw and also the leftover draw.

Nothing better than recommending a full price leftover NR tag with limited access...strong advice there.

Oh, and is this the picture you're referring to?

[Linked Image from photos.imageevent.com]

Yeah, the bull was quartering away and I caught the liver and the back of both lungs, probably why it only went about 80 yards and died.

Tell that dead bull it was a bad shot...

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Buzz......are you implying my zone 7, type 4 FILLED 2022 tag chewed my preference points?

Limited access? Tell all those dead elk, on public ground. Garmin and a Wyoming card.

Also, are you implying your bull was not gut-shot? You are raking that angle, with archery? Both lungs........yea, sure.

Bulls often die from a bad shot......congrats?????

Sure hope there are no challenges coming.....

Originally Posted by BuzzH
Without access? Huh?

And......if you wait for 'leftovers', you can purchase a type 4 tag that does NOT chew your preference points. Surprised 'tex didn't know that, but half the folks are below average.

Still full price (and they still go fast), but a fall back if the 4 combined opportunities at a type 6 do not pan out.

BuzzH posted a gut-shot bull pic a while back. You must have scheduled a colonoscopy, and missed it.

Originally Posted by wytex
A Wyoming zone 7 (excuse me......hunt area 7), type 6 cow tag is valid from August 15th through December 31st. Valid for archery and rifle, some stipulations.

Even if you are relatively brainless (like Brad).........it's a no-brainer.

For a gutshooting archer (like BuzzH)........crossbows are legal for everyone.

Always wanted to hunt all season(s).......and then just tag a cow on December 31st.

2020.....December 26th.
2021.....December 29th.
2022.....November 20th (going backwards)

Maybe next year.

If you have the time (like me)...Wyoming.

Yeah great advice if you want to search for elk without access.
Funny Mike, as Buzz posted more elk pics than anyone else on here. He helped get a handful of elk for himself and other folks but yet he's a gut shooter ?

I would look at Colorado OTC elk and then maybe also out in for a Wyoming reduced price cow tag that has the same season. Co seasons are short and Wyoming cow elk seasons usually run pretty long. Might have succeNotss in one or the other on the same trip.

Wyoming also has some Type 4 cow elk licenses that are full price and take PPs but many can be drawn with 0 PPs or in the leftover draw.

Wow Mike some great advice...who knew that ANY leftover tag didn't take your points? Same with a second choice in the initial draw and also the leftover draw.

Nothing better than recommending a full price leftover NR tag with limited access...strong advice there.

Oh, and is this the picture you're referring to?

Yeah, the bull was quartering away and I caught the liver and the back of both lungs, probably why it only went about 80 yards and died.

Tell that dead bull it was a bad shot...

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
You ever heard of hooked on phonics?

It might help with your comprehension issues.

I'm implying nothing, facts/results speak for themselves...and you need a lesson in elk anatomy and just about everything else to do with elk hunting in Wyoming.

Oh, and feel free to post a picture of a better bull you've shot in Wyoming.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Stupidest post I've read in a while.

6 easy trips can be decided on.......versus 3 or 4 dangerous trips. Even if multiple days.....time off is likely there already, anyway. Leave some scent.

The brainless normally don't see the brain as an asset.

Frequently humbled, but total avoidance of any sliver of wisdom.

Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by llamalover2
Elk hunters dont generally fail from the bodies frailties, they fail from the shoulders up.

If you hunt elk on public land in CO your success will be predicated on getting back in a ways, away from motorized access. And then getting your elk out

If your body is not up to it for whatever reason--age, injuries, or physical fitness, it won't matter what you have above the shoulders.

LOL, swing and a miss Mikey. If you're physically unable to get a few miles from the road in steep terrain and with altitude, adding more round trips ain't gonna solve the problem.

The point being, if you're able, get in shape. If you're not able or willing, the best attitude in the world won't overcome your physical limitations.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
You still insist that shot was a double-lunger?

You really should check with some of the experts here, before posting pics like that.

Limited access? If you're a public land BHA guy, why hunt limited-public-access zone 7?

Why the apparent disdain for Cow Creek, being 'just' public land.

I'm implying nothing, facts/results speak for themselves...and you need a lesson in elk anatomy and just about everything else to do with elk hunting in Wyoming.

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
You seem like an expert around here.
Congrats.

Stupidest post I've read in a while.

6 easy trips can be decided on.......versus 3 or 4 dangerous trips. Even if multiple days.....time off is likely there already, anyway. Leave some scent.

The brainless normally don't see the brain as an asset.

Frequently humbled, but total avoidance of any sliver of wisdom.

Elk hunters dont generally fail from the bodies frailties, they fail from the shoulders up.

If you hunt elk on public land in CO your success will be predicated on getting back in a ways, away from motorized access. And then getting your elk out

If your body is not up to it for whatever reason--age, injuries, or physical fitness, it won't matter what you have above the shoulders.

LOL, swing and a miss Mikey. If you're physically unable to get a few miles from the road in steep terrain and with altitude, adding more round trips ain't gonna solve the problem.

The point being, if you're able, get in shape. If you're not able or willing, the best attitude in the world won't overcome your physical limitations.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Never claimed to be an expert Mikey.

Don't need to be an expert to refute your bullshìt.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Don't sell yourself short.......there are enough ex-boyfriends that can do that.

Never claimed to be an expert Mikey.

Don't need to be an expert to refute your bullshìt.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

You really should check with some of the experts here, before posting pics like that.

Limited access? If you're a public land BHA guy, why hunt limited-public-access zone 7?

What experts might those be?

Find me someone on this board that's shot more than 83 elk, 82 of them on public, and we can discuss anything you want to about elk...and for the record, elk are barely on the top 5 animals I like to hunt.

There's lots of them, I get 3 Resident tags a year, and they're good table fare...which are all good reasons to hunt them.

Last edited by BuzzH; 12/27/22.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
83 elk prove that severe raking archery shot was a double-lung?

Let them post, I always say.

What experts might those be?

Find me someone on this board that's shot more than 83 elk, 82 of them on public, and we can discuss anything you want to about elk...and for the record, elk are barely on the top 5 animals I like to hunt.

There's lots of them, I get 3 Resident tags a year, and they're good table fare.

IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
83 elk...you don't look that old.

3 a year still takes 27 years of elk hunting.

Pretty impressive record. That's a lot of tags.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Westman
83 elk...you don't look that old.

3 a year still takes 27 years of elk hunting.

Pretty impressive record. That's a lot of tags.

Not really that impressive, just living at the right time in the right states. Just completed my 42nd hunting season and shot my first elk at age 12.

I was born in MT grew up hunting there have had at least one elk tag, sometimes 2, from 1980-2013. Drew 3 tags in Arizona, killed 2 six points and a 7x6 on those hunts. Have lived in Wyoming since 2000 and have had one NR tag the year I moved here, filled it in 20 minutes of hunting. Since then, have had a minimum of 2 elk tags and ever since the commission has allowed 3 tags, I've had 3 every year.

First elk, Montana at age 12, seems like a long, long time ago:

Latest elk a few weeks ago:

Been a lot of miles in between.

Last edited by BuzzH; 12/27/22.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Well done buzzh

Very cool. You've lived what many hunters dream of!

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Oh look... a downward spiral into "look how big my Weiner is"... from the usual suspects.

On your adventure there will be a bunch of perfectly good reasons to quit, and only one not to, because you refuse to do so.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Oh look... a downward spiral into "look how big my Weiner is"... from the usual suspects.

On your adventure there will be a bunch of perfectly good reasons to quit, and only one not to, because you refuse to do so.

I agree with this. But you misspelled "Werner."

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Werner, weiner, weenie…… same same

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Wow........look at all that frothy, bright red lung blood!

There are internet experts out there that may say that blood looks relatively old, like it laid overnight.

Other internet experts may suspect we are seeing the 'good' side, when it comes to the wound channel.

If you incessantly crave the internet atta-boy's..........perhaps cropping out the hideous shot placement would be prudent, in the future.

It is a great bull.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think it would be a very interesting path angle of an arrow to get the back ( caudal) of both lungs and the liver.

The liver is on the right side of the animal caudal to the diaphragm. The diaphragm on the ventral aspect of an elk is between the 6 and 7 th rib. Elk have 13 ribs.

The path in my mind would have to go through the front ( rostral) aspect of the left lung to accomplish entering the right lung and the liver.

The entry / exit point would be near if not at the left front leg. IMO.

Nice bull!

Last edited by Angus1895; 12/29/22.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
WAM........excuse me for constantly overlooking your substantive and thought-provoking posts.

How was your elk season? Were you 'successful' in keeping your truck and side-by-side fueled all season?

We all view success differently.

Originally Posted by WAM
Werner, weiner, weenie…… same same

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I was just thinking (when I ain't used to it) that another option if you are taking your own horses out is to hire an outfitter to set up a drop camp for you. Tent is set with stove/ firewood and weed free /certified hay can be already packed in for you. Saves you some time and trouble, though you will be somewhat lighter in the pocketbook. We used to provide that service years ago , but don't know how many are still doing it in Colorado.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

635 members (163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 1234, 160user, 60 invisible), 2,326 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,619
Posts18,455,052
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.