Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
E
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
E
Well I've been sitting on the side lines for 3 years now just building points while my beloved fought cancer, she lost the battle about a month ago. Im ready to get back to big game hunting in 2023, all over the west. Whats some of you guys best resources for information now. I used to get huntin fool, eastmans, top rut, on-X, gohunt. Are there others out there better or more accutate? Thanks Wayne

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wayne,
I can't help you on the elk hunting resources but can offer you my sincere condolences on the loss of your beloved. That really sucks.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Condolences on your mate my friend! My girl beat it this year. As far as advice, I was always told "any elk on the ground is a good one", ha. I would go after cows as often as I could. When you get your points, hire an outfitter and get a. lots of help and b. a big bull! Its only money!! Merry Christmas friend...Jim K

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My sincere condolences.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Sorry to hear about your loss, mine was successful in her journey and we are grateful but perhaps not as grateful as we should be after reading this. I hope you get back in the field soon and successfully!

Get points everywhere while you figure it all out is my best advice. Wyoming seems to be an every four years deal for NR's now; used to be every other. So get the points.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
So sorry for your loss. On the flip side, sounds like you have more time now. Time is essence of elk hunting, we all wish we have more of it. I'd look at your points right now. Plan your fall applications and make sure you have a guaranteed or OTC hunt somewhere. Then come spring, I'd head in the direction of your top two tags and start scouting. Enjoy the woods, the drive, and look for animals. Repeat as many times as you can over the summer. There is nothing that replaces boots on the ground. And nothing replaces time spent the woods - whether it's looking for animals or just watching the sun set next to a campfire.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Douglas, WY is a hop, skip, jump from Lincoln, NE.

Apply for a bull tag HUNT AREA 7.......for the chance in 'random draw'. Also apply for a reduced price cow tag. Get a preference point too, when available.

Apply for Pronghorn and Mulie tags too(different HUNT AREAS). Random draw, could acquaint you with the area before you get an elk tag. Doe tags antelope, not mulies. Bunches of whitetail doe tags available, cheap.

Hunt archery and rifle seasons.

Pull out a camper. Casita's work just fine.

Shed hunt in the spring.

Fish Toltec reservoir for Cuttbows.......Fetterman road.

Buy a cheap .223 and hammer prairie dogs at Thunder Basin, north. GPS recommended.

Buy a 25-06 and hammer them at 500+.

Or, you could just move out there.

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
[color:#FF0000]
Originally Posted by MIKEWERNER
Douglas, WY is a hop, skip, jump from Lincoln, NE.

A[color:#FF0000]pply for a bull tag HUNT AREA 7[/color].......for the chance in 'random draw'. Also apply for a reduced price cow tag. Get a preference point too, when available.

Apply for Pronghorn and Mulie tags too(different HUNT AREAS). Random draw, could acquaint you with the area before you get an elk tag. Doe tags antelope, not mulies. Bunches of whitetail doe tags available, cheap.

Hunt archery and rifle seasons.

Pull out a camper. Casita's work just fine.

Shed hunt in the spring.

Fish Toltec reservoir for Cuttbows.......Fetterman road.

Buy a cheap .223 and hammer prairie dogs at Thunder Basin, north. GPS recommended.

Buy a 25-06 and hammer them at 500+.

Or, you could just move out there.
[/color]

How much public ground is there in area 7?

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
My wife passed away unexpectedly several years ago. And will never be forgotten, you will grieve for sometime., but she would not want you suffering for even. Take each day step by step, the loss will never totally go away but will become manageable Remember she would also want you to move forward. good luck.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
no hunting help from me either. just wanted to send my condolences. i lost my wife of 39 years 15 months ago to cancer. it sucks Wayne! hang in there!! time does help heal, at least for me.

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Sorry for your loss, I can’t image it.

10 rules for elk hunting:

1. Hunt where the elk are.
2. Hunt your ass off.
3-10. See rule #2.

Hunt where the elk are sounds silly but it’s the first critical choice. Do your homework and spend the money. They’re harder to find than they are to kill.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My sincere condolences.

As for advice, Pharm is correct plus my minimal additions below.

Buy good boots. Get to your area a few days ahead of season. Take your time. Listen to what the mountains tell you & don’t make up your own ideas of where elk ‘should’ be. Have fun.

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Sorry for your loss, I can’t image it.

10 rules for elk hunting:

1. Hunt where the elk are.
2. Hunt your ass off.
3-10. See rule #2.

Hunt where the elk are sounds silly but it’s the first critical choice. Do your homework and spend the money. They’re harder to find than they are to kill.

P

Sounds like good advice. I’ve only shot a few elk; all DIY hunts. I’d only add: be an optimist and don’t give up. The elk you are looking for might show up any day and you “must be present to win”.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The OP was asking about advice concerning resources geared more towards getting a tag and gadgets to electronically scout, not necessarily advice on what to do once a tag is in hand, but I will still throw this out there:

You can't be afraid of the dark...

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by T_Inman
The OP was asking about advice concerning resources geared more towards getting a tag and gadgets to electronically scout, not necessarily advice on what to do once a tag is in hand, but I will still throw this out there:

Odd that you bring that up. I’m real comfortable in the dark in familiar types of terrain and navigate easily at night. Still, I recall a certain creepy feeling at night alone elk hunting in the West. I went on anyway but I do recall the strangeness of big country at night.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
First of all I am sorry for your loss.

The weird thing is riding in the dark.

The mules seem calmer……maybe because I can’t see and sit easier.

I had one mule that only liked to be in front if I had my head light on.

Last edited by Angus1895; 12/24/22.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by T_Inman

Yeah that is a really, really good point.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Angus1895
First of all I am sorry for your loss.

The weird thing is riding in the dark.

The mules seem calmer……maybe because I can’t see and sit easier.

I had one mule that only liked to be in front if I had my head light on.

Condolences Elkmaster

Angus1895

That reminded me of one mule I had. She would follow my headlamp. If I tried to ride without it she woud wonder of the trail. If I let her go long enough, we were both lost as I had no idea where the trail was at that point. Usually I had to wait until it got light. I never let her do it when it was dark in the evening.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I think Pharmseller is spot on but I will add keep a positive attitude while hunting. It pretty much goes for any hunting but if you are hunting where they are and staying after it things can go from nothing to something in a matter of seconds!

I am so sorry for your loss. Nothing will ever fill that void completely, but pouring your energy into the outdoors and hunting can be very healing.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
For you, the great thing about going hunting is that it will force you to exercise and the environment will reset your view of things. Hopefully that will help you restore and revitalize yourself.
Best wishes to you.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
697 members (222Sako, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 222ND, 75 invisible), 2,784 guests, and 1,332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,630
Posts18,398,794
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.