Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
88's print fine for me out of an eight twist. Not sure about super stable and blah blah blah I just know what I see on paper nice little round holes not torn.

BP-B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by rickt300
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Originally Posted by mmanincor
I have quite a few 55 grain bullets. I know I could try them and see if they shoot accurately.

It depends upon what you mean by "best". There's no reason the 55 grainers won't shoot just fine from an 8 twist, I've shot a gazillion 55 grainers out of my two 8 twist 22-250's. The heavier bullets will buck the wind better and give better long range performance but there's no reason to think they'll shoot any more accurately than the 55's. Overstabilization is a myth.

But bullet integrity is not. There are many thin jacketed 55 grain bullets that could deform due to being spun too fast and loose accuracy. Of course there are certain bullets that take being spun hard without issues.

I guess it could happen, but I've not seen it. The only bullets I've had issues with too much twist have been 39 gr. sierra blitzkings out of a 20 practical with an 8 twist, after the barrel heated up it would spin apart about half the bullets. If they held together they'd print tiny groups. Switching to 40 gr VMAX's stopped the problem and it still shoots great. I have two 8 twist 22-250's that get used on prairie dogs, one is on it's third barrel. Years ago I got a whole bunch of overrun 55 gr ballistic tips from Nosler shooters pro shop for a little bit of nothing and fortunately both my rifles shoot them great so that's what gets slung at prairie dogs. I've probably got enough to last the rest of my life. I don't push them too hard, about 3600 fps or so. I've shot other 53-55 grain bullets out of them with no problems but since I got all those the ballistic tips that's all they've been fed.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ladies,

Stability is a factor of projectile length,NOT "weight". Hint.

A 8" RPM '250 SALAMI will pinhole 88's,as plainly cited,at low tide in the Winter. Hint.

The 77 TMK's schit BC is due it's 1.072" length. The Sugar 90's schit BC is due it's length of 1.171". Hint.

The 75 ELD's killer BC is due it's 1.121" length and killer aeroform. The 88 is 1.240" and smokes the aforementioned 90. Hint.

Pardon my simply shooting it all and then some. The 88 is without peer and be as pissed as you please at Physics,for arranging same. Hint......................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have a new barrel on a 220, 8 twist Shilen. I got tired of 14 twist not shooting anything over 50.
Went to range yesterday and took it to try some 75 Amax. They shot OK but my load was probably not very refined. On a whim I shot 5 bullets that were in the box that I had previously loaded for my other barrel. I was shooting at 200 yards. They printed a 1/2" group. I went home and pulled one apart and they were 40 grain Vmax!!

How's that for an 8 twist! I don't know how close they are to coming apart but they sure shot good a 1500' and 65 f.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ldholton
88's print fine for me out of an eight twist. Not sure about super stable and blah blah blah I just know what I see on paper nice little round holes not torn.

Now shoot them at a minimum of 400 yards and see what they do.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Older thread, but out this way, altitude can have an input on stability being there or not...

Might shoot just fine down in the valley at 1200 feet... but up at 4,000 or 5,000 feet the outcome can be totally different.

it is fun tho, shooting a bullet in the fog, when its heavy.. Not only can you see the bullet come apart, but you see a vapor trail in all directions, where all the pieces went flying off, with the jacket came apart...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
I have a new barrel on a 220, 8 twist Shilen. I got tired of 14 twist not shooting anything over 50.
Went to range yesterday and took it to try some 75 Amax. They shot OK but my load was probably not very refined. On a whim I shot 5 bullets that were in the box that I had previously loaded for my other barrel. I was shooting at 200 yards. They printed a 1/2" group. I went home and pulled one apart and they were 40 grain Vmax!!

How's that for an 8 twist! I don't know how close they are to coming apart but they sure shot good a 1500' and 65 f.

Dennis, that 22.250 I brought down to Texas at Ed's place. I've shot 40 grain V Maxes, 35 gr Hornady NTXs ( Lead free) all the way up to 80 grain A Maxes, 80 ELDs. 80 grain Sierra HPMatch, and everything in between out of that barrel, and they pretty much all held up just fine...

But if you want to watch a bullet come apart, especially in the fog, shoot some Hornady SPSX varmint bullets out of your fast twist 22.250.
I did that once, and they came apart so I called Hornady's Tech Line.. they told me the bullet was designed to hold up to 180,000 RPMs
with my velocity ( which was not redlined), and the one in 7 twist, that the barrel was spinning those bullets about 330,000+ RPMs...

Little "over stressed" ya think?

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Seafire

Older thread, but out this way, altitude can have an input on stability being there or not...

Might shoot just fine down in the valley at 1200 feet... but up at 4,000 or 5,000 feet the outcome can be totally different.

it is fun tho, shooting a bullet in the fog, when its heavy.. Not only can you see the bullet come apart, but you see a vapor trail in all directions, where all the pieces went flying off, with the jacket came apart...
this is absolutely correct elevation can have a drastic effect especially on bullet lengths that are just on the borderline of stable.btw I'm around 1,300 ft .

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Now shoot them at a minimum of 400 yards and see what they do.
you thinking they will start key holeing ?

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
with respect you might wanna try some Hammer bullets ?

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D

The hotter, more humid and higher the elevation, the easier it is to stabilize a bullet. If a bullet works " in the valley" it will work in the hills. Dense air requires more twist .

NRA Benefactor Member

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Originally Posted by mmanincor
I have quite a few 55 grain bullets. I know I could try them and see if they shoot accurately.

It depends upon what you mean by "best". There's no reason the 55 grainers won't shoot just fine from an 8 twist, I've shot a gazillion 55 grainers out of my two 8 twist 22-250's. The heavier bullets will buck the wind better and give better long range performance but there's no reason to think they'll shoot any more accurately than the 55's. Overstabilization is a myth.

Overstabilization is not a myth. It's just not a practical consideration until you're shooting at ranges where loss of tractability becomes apparent.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by dennisinaz

The hotter, more humid and higher the elevation, the easier it is to stabilize a bullet. If a bullet works " in the valley" it will work in the hills. Dense air requires more twist .

well Dennis,

it wouldn't be the first time ol Seafire had something backasswards....

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
😁

NRA Benefactor Member

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
I've spun SXSP's apart with a 223/8 twist @ 7000' altitude. 50gr, IIRC.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Anyone have 22/250 88 gr , RL-26 data by chance?

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have had great results with Hornady 80 grain bullets but if I could find some 77 grain Sierra's they would probably work!

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
I can't believe you didn't spin that bullet into pieces. Bet that sucker will splash hard on a coyote. Pretty cool it worked out. Those dudes are busting 4 grand easy I bet.

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Had a fast twist .250 that I filled the case full of 4350 and with a 75 grain Hornady match on top of seated into the lands that would do 1/2 inch groups at 100. Old prairie doggers trick that coincidently worked in my rifle. Killed a ton of coyotes doing that. Probably the most fun rifle I ever owned. Kept it in my truck.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
anything 80 grains and under, that isn't a real fragile bullet, like an SPSX....

if you are going heavy weight, 68 thru 80 has worked in mine.. which is a 1 in 7 twist...so it should work just fine in a 1 in 8.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
642 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 1lessdog, 68 invisible), 2,792 guests, and 1,384 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,655
Posts18,399,237
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.