Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I enjoy trading up and to fund upgrades of other rifles. I have a nice pre 64 70 .308 featherweight. I'm thinking about selling, to finance some custom parts for other builds. I know i will kick myself in the a$$ if I do.

BP-B6

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
don't.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ditto. Don’t.

That’s a fine hunting rifle. Find another way to finance your new toys.

What fresh Hell is this?
W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
Never.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
With Measure 114 p"assing in Oregon, I took all my rifles down to the Scrap Yard Recycling Depot, and got rid of all of them...

Even my great grandpa's old Single Shot 12 Gauge.

To hell with you guys... Tomorrow is Monday, and I'm converting to DemocRAT at 8 AM, and turning Gay at 8:30 AM...
and moving to Potlandia and signing up for BLM and Antifa in the afternoon...

And Putting Biden stickers on my Volvo and Tesla....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Milkfever
I enjoy trading up and to fund upgrades of other rifles. I have a nice pre 64 70 .308 featherweight. I'm thinking about selling, to finance some custom parts for other builds. I know i will kick myself in the a$$ if I do.

Ah, go ahead and sell it. It's only a thing. The remorse will be fleeting. Out of probably a hundred guns I've sold in my life there's only a couple for which the regret has lingered. Think of the joy that the new build will bring.

Like I said earlier, I get bored easily. Coupled with a very narrow sense of sentimentality it makes it easy to sell stuff. When my Father died 32 years ago I inherited all of his guns and since virtually none of them fit into my areas of interest it didn't take me long to dispose of them. He was a practical man too, and admonished me not to hang on to them for sentimental reasons. Cold hearted? Nah, I have stuff that was his, but more importantly I have 37 years of fond memories that are the best souvenirs of all.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I hate selling, but I always have my eye on something new to me.

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
I trade up/off all the time. I'm not a particularly sentimental person, and I've only got regrets on maybe 2 or 3 that I've gotten rid of over the years. They're just stuff and I'm a load fiddler by nature, so when I get bored I tend to trade up on something new to fiddle with.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Every once in a while.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The only one I regret selling was a .243 Tikka LH Whitetail Hunter, I really miss that rifle.

IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I have never really had more than 10-12 rifles. I never get bored, just overthink what I really need, do I have overlap, kids need a gun, cool factor, and limited funds. Of all the guns I have sold, I loved my marling guide gun in 45-70, a ruger boat paddle sin 25-06 and a Ruger #1 in 270. I kick myself every time I think about not having those in my collection. Unfortunately, I am a slow learner and will probably do it again. Although, my hunting has slowed and 2 in college is eating all toy expenditures.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have never sold a gun, however I have given away many. I still have to many and I can think of 4 that will be given away soon. Lately I'm more into minimalist living, making memories instead of acquiring useless crap that fits the same nitch I already had filled 10 times over. My gun collection is soon to go down to a 7PRC, 223, 22lr, one twenty gauge shotgun and a 686 Smith and Wesson 357 pistol

I have absolutely zero regrets about getting rid of any gun

Trystan

Last edited by Trystan; 11/28/22.

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Originally Posted by Gibby
A wise old man told me to never sell a gun. You will regret it. I listened.

My best friend always said that. He passed away a few months ago, and I recently went through his gun collection with his wife, helping her to decide which guns to give to the son-in-laws and grandsons. I want to be able to enjoy my guns while I'm able to do so, so if I want to sell one that I don't use and buy one to play around with, then I see nothing wrong with it. I have a few family heirlooms that I'd never part with, and want them to be passed on down thru the family. Otherwise, most of the rest of my collection are expendable.

I agree 100%. Keeping a rifle or any gun that you don’t like for that matter makes absolutely ZERO sense. The mentality that people have of never selling any gun is absolutely stupid. Why would people not sell a gun they don’t like and purchase one that they will use?

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
If your a lefty there's not that much out there that's madenfor you so selling is less frequent.

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
I’ve reached the point where I’m happy with what I got which is a lot don’t need anymore.I still cruise the pawn shops and lgs but there’s no more deals out there and I’m putting gun funds into land payments and college for the kiddos.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
For years I just kept stacking them up and sooner or later I would get back to them
I am now starting to thin them
Out some I have never even shot

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have thinned my hunting rifle herd significantly over the past 15 years. Motive was to simplify. Nothing to do with boredom or finances.

I decided to keep a couple of calibers. I settled on keeping a couple rifles in 0.308", and .224".

Sold off: a few 22 LR rifles and pistols 22 mag rifles, 222 Rems, 0.257" ( Roberts and 250 Savage), 6.5" ( 6.5x55), 270" ( 270 Win), 7mm (7x57), 308 Win and 30-06 rifles, 303 British, 0.338 ( 338-06), 0.358" ( 35 Rem and 358 Win), 9.3 ( 9.3x62) and .458 rifle calibers ( 45-70). Also sold off 20 and 16 gauge shotguns, and all but one 12 gauge. Sold off multiple handguns including 357 mag and 38 specials, and 45 acp.

The only rifle I regret selling (a bit) was a Sako Forester sporter in 308 Win. The only reason I have any regret is that I didn't shoot it enough to determine what potential accuracy I could get from it. I probably would have sold it anyway, but after some range time. So, really I don't regret selling it much at all.

My ultimate goal / strategy is to shoot what I have "remaining" more frequently, and simplify my reloading room. I am not shooting any LESS than I did years ago, but just shooting a handful of platforms more frequently-and that has been VERY rewarding. There will be a few more sold off after I play with them a bit, continuing with the same strategy.

Who knows, I may wind up with only one rifle in the end: my first rifle, a Marlin 336A ( 24" bbl in 30-30), and be very happy. I'll know in about 15-20 years. Overall...no regrets selling. I sold them when I wanted to, not when I had to.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
If I’m emotionally attacked they stay. If not I sell them on a whim and am lucky enough to have short memory so they are forgotten and I move on.

I’m sure if I try I can remember them all but if they are unimportant enough to be gone why try?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just scored a NIB threaded, iron-sighted barrel and nice oil-finished Turkish walnut stock for the CZ 457 Premium. Gonna swap out the parts on my MTR and futz around with irons a bit. Kinda-sorta new gun for less than half the going price. Was never a big fan of swapping barrels, but this looks like it’ll be fun, and as my sons used to tell their mother, “there’s no net gain of guns”. No loss either!

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by d500lnn
How many of y’all are guilty of selling rifles you really like(almost all of them) when you get bored or feel guilty for not using them? I do it every year and every time I regret selling….but how many rifles can you actually use?

I can think of 10-15 rifles off the top of my head I wish I’d kept..

I buy and sell and don't have any sentimental value to them. I wish I had kept some to sell at the current prices, but I don't miss them. I like disassembling rifles and looking at the construction and craftsmanship or lack there of in each example. I also like trying different cartridges. I am always in pursuit of the perfect mouse trap for my purposes and have never quite found it. I definitely sweat the details too much.

When I start feeling like I have too many projects I start purging. Sometimes I play a mental game with myself. I imagine a fire wiped out everything and I have to start over with the money to buy what I want. With a fresh perspective and nothing holding me to keep what I have, I have never kept it. Everything has always felt like a bit of a compromise. I have never met the perfect rifle and doubt I will. At this point, I have a much smaller battery and I have spent more time afield this year than I had previously in the past 15 years. My son is into fishing and I have done more of that as well. I got out and went hunting instead of messing with these little projects which invariably come when I buy a new rifle. As I say this I did buy a rimfire for a project, but I intend to have in the field soon. We are all looneys in different ways.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
691 members (160user, 12344mag, 12308300, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 70 invisible), 2,704 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,617
Posts18,398,496
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.