Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Sniggly Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
In a recent thread MrFixit decided to catalog his doings as he builds a rifle for his son. I've commented more than once that his thread is what I thought this board should embody, so, it's time for me to 'put my money where my mouth is'...so to speak. I'll go ahead and confess an appreciation for the extra work that MrFixit put into his posts just from the documentarian point of view. I'm wading into those same waters here.

I purchased a Richards Microfit 2nd gunstock (Claro Walnut AA with Mark X inletting) this past June, and I received it in early August. Being self employed and rather busy, I put it away with an eye on November. November came and went, and now I've finally set to it.

Richards describes the stock as having African Rosewood. I realize that Bubinga is often referred to as African Rosewood, but, it's not a rosewood, and I'm not a fan of Bubinga (in this particular use case). It'll be coming off. The pad is a Remington pad, and that's coming off as well.

Best I can tell there are two primary reasons why this stock ended up a 2nd. It seems that when they flipped the stock over on the CNC they didn't do quite the perfect job aligning the stock on all its previous axes. The result is a ledge formed by the cutter on opposite inlets and on opposite sides while not being aligned as before. Don't know how that'll impact the inletting I have to do but we will see. In addition to the off axis cutting, the butt of the stock has some micro checking in it. The checks run across the grain in some pretty random directions. It looks like they might have attempted to eliminate them with some CA glue and sandpaper, but it didn't work from a cosmetic point of view. That's on the list of things to fix. I don't know if I can make the checking literally disappear, but we will see.

Condition of the stock when I received it back in August:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

GB1

S
Sniggly Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
A seemingly quirky thing to me is the factory shape of the Mark X safety. The tab is bent down, instead of being on plane with other parts of the action. During the inletting this presented a bit of a problem, so I had to start cutting away material to finish the inletting of the action. Only taking off what's necessary for now so that I have something to work with when I decide how this area is going to look cosmetically. I lot of the stocks I've seen with this action have a mix of sloped and rounded humps before and after the safety lever, and I'm not really attracted to any of them. I have no idea how I'll handle it at this point.

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Gotta love them 1960's embellishments. If you shorten the fore end, remove the tip, white line spacers, and grip cap, then get to rasping, you can end up with a nice stock.

S
Sniggly Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I've started cutting things off the stock. No more Bubinga. I found a very nice piece of Macassar Ebony at a local Woodcraft store. I think I'll use that instead.

S
Sniggly Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Progress on the appointments. I went a little deep on the grip cap removal, so I had to change the angle of the bottom of the butt portion to something a little steeper. Flatten that out a bit, and I have something to work with. You can see in the second picture some red outlining done to keep me on the straight and narrow. You'll also see the saw blade nick that'll get filed out of existence once I round the bottom of the butt.

IC B2

S
Sniggly Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Nose if off as well...

I glued a piece of Pennsylvania Hemlock I had laying around to the bottom of the stock to act as a stop of sorts while the piece was being clamped. Once the glue dries I'll just chisel it off, sand it up, and continue on with the shaping. The adhesive is System Three Clear Coat low viscosity epoxy. It's a little too thin for this kind of use, but it was all I had on hand. I had to take the nose cap off and re-treat both surfaces with the same epoxy that had set up just a little more stiff. Shouldn't be an issue as everything was still wet at the time. Temps here in the house are middle 60's so the cure time is going to be 24 solid hours. Need to take a heat gun to it.

S
Sniggly Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by z1r
Gotta love them 1960's embellishments. If you shorten the fore end, remove the tip, white line spacers, and grip cap, then get to rasping, you can end up with a nice stock.

I forgot to mention that I was removing those white line spacers as well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They are lot more work than most envision, but that does look to be a nice chunk of wood. Do post up the finished product.

1Minute
S
Sniggly Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by 1minute
They are lot more work than most envision, but that does look to be a nice chunk of wood. Do post up the finished product.

I’ve a friend down here that has had two very successful outings with the 2nds from Richard’s. So long as one doesn’t grow notions of what it SHOULD be when you get it…all is well. In the end it’s really just a trade; I’ll spend my time fixing it, rather than paying for it to show up in near perfect state, which by the way, you can’t know anyway.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Inside the seconds is a rifle stock just waiting to get out.

If you take the time to work with it.

IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Years ago, when 6.5 Swedes were $69, I purchased a Richards Microfit 2nd. Everything fit with a little final in letting .The only flaw I could see was a small knot in the top of the wrist. I only recently replaced the 1/2 " solid rubber pad on it with a Limbsaver that is easier on my plastic shoulder. I recut the checkering, but must admit I did a terrible job of it. I realized that age,eyes, and poor hand control has ended my talents along those lines and coincidentally MrFixit is going to end up with my checkering tools.

It has taken a many number of deer and antelope with no failures in cracks,etc.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Sniggly Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
6.5 Swede’s for $69 dollars…

I don’t think I’d forget that either. I saw your back and forth with MrFixit on the checkering tools. That you know where they are going and that they will be used is one of the finer byproducts of this forum.

I don’t know, yet, that I’ll tackle a checkering job on this stock. There are a few other issues that I need to sort and conquer before I get to that stage. Not to mention, my personality type is such that I dive all the way to the bottom of most holes. I’m either ‘all in’ or I’m not there at all. I’m hoping this stock can speak loudly enough to the eye that it can stand on its own without the checkering.

We shall see.

BTW - that’s a pretty rifle!! Horns ain’t so bad either 😂

Last edited by Sniggly; 12/26/22.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
This is a stock in English walnut that I purchased from Richards a few years back. Note the checking on the cheek piece, which didn't appear until the stock was inletted, shaped, and the second coat of oil applied.

Wish I could offer a fix. Several sources suggested using clear epoxy as a fill, which is what I tried, but as you can see the defect is still quite visible.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

S
Sniggly Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Teebone,

I haven't photographed it yet (for the forum) but my stock also has some cross grain checking on the bolt side of the rifle on the butt. It's unfortunate that yours didn't reveal the checking until after you'd started the finish schedule. That just introduces more problems to an already very limited set of solutions. I have no idea how well I'll be able to hide the cross grain checking on my stock, but I hope it'll be sufficient enough to not draw the eyes to the area of the checking. I won't mind someone having to look for it, but it'll drive me crazy if that's all they see.

Still, a beautiful rifle. What's the nose treatment on it? Also I'd love to see the area where the bolt release is located, as well as the safety lever (if its the traditional Mark X safety lever).

Last edited by Sniggly; 12/26/22.
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Sometimes the enjoyment of doing the work is more than the enjoyment of the finished product.

Teebone.I sure wouldn't let that bother me. You still have beautiful piece of wood there.M y eye went to the over all stock , not the hairline cracks.

Years ago, I made a stock out of American Black Walnut my brother had cut about 30 years before. It was for a 1903 Springfield I got from DCM .The stock they sent me was split. I had all the inletting completed and the buttstock in it's final shape. I was taking the final bit of wood off the forearm with a milling machine.

Between the barrel channel and out side of the forearm, I cut a 30 cal miniball in half. Since the top hand piece would cover it, I continued to finish it. A few years later, some fellow bought it just for the mini ball in the stock,

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Sniggly Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
More work done today. Took the clamp off the nose cap after 12 hours and let it cure for another 12 hours after that. Then I went after it. That sacrificial clamping aid came right off. This is not its finished shape as I have to round the cap off.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I admire your work. I'm not much of a woodworker.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
looking really good

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[quote=saddlesore]Sometimes the enjoyment of doing the work is more than the enjoyment of the finished product.

Teebone.I sure wouldn't let that bother me. You still have beautiful piece of wood there.M y eye went to the over all stock , not the hairline cracks.

Years ago, I made a stock out of American Black Walnut my brother had cut about 30 years before. It was for a 1903 Springfield I got from DCM .The stock they sent me was split. I had all the inletting completed and the buttstock in it's final shape. I was taking the final bit of wood off the forearm with a milling machine.

Between the barrel channel and out side of the forearm, I cut a 30 cal miniball in half. Since the top hand piece would cover it, I continued to finish it. A few years later, some fellow bought it just for the mini ball in the stockminimally?

Agreed that the wood is nice, and some small checks shouldn't be a problem, but......

WTF is a 30 cal miniball?

Last edited by GaryLL1959; 12/27/22.

"...and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
Luke 22:36
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by GaryLL1959
WTF is a 30 cal miniball?

It was probably a .32 cal round ball

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (1beaver_shooter, 1moredeer, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 58 invisible), 2,210 guests, and 1,161 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,111
Posts18,464,373
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.