Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Sniggly Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by BigNate
I admire your work. I'm not much of a woodworker.

Thank You Nate.

GB1

S
Sniggly Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Originally Posted by GaryLL1959
WTF is a 30 cal miniball?

It was probably a .32 cal round ball

I’m inclined to want a picture of it! But the rifle isn’t in his hands it seems.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by Sniggly
Teebone,

I haven't photographed it yet (for the forum) but my stock also has some cross grain checking on the bolt side of the rifle on the butt. It's unfortunate that yours didn't reveal the checking until after you'd started the finish schedule. That just introduces more problems to an already very limited set of solutions. I have no idea how well I'll be able to hide the cross grain checking on my stock, but I hope it'll be sufficient enough to not draw the eyes to the area of the checking. I won't mind someone having to look for it, but it'll drive me crazy if that's all they see.

Still, a beautiful rifle. What's the nose treatment on it? Also I'd love to see the area where the bolt release is located, as well as the safety lever (if its the traditional Mark X safety lever).

Sniggly thanks. The checking is really of no consequence as the rifle is for my own use. Does make me grumpy when thinking about selling it at some point in the future.

Regarding the bolt release, the rifle pictured previously has the flat Browning style release. I can offer pics of a couple other rifles with mechanisms more similar to yours, the most recent project a mini Mauser. On those I just left a narrow border around the release.

My preference for Mausers has always been the M70 style swing safety, so I can't offer much advice on the best way to execute that. I did own a Venezuelan sporter with a safety similar to yours, so have attached a pic for reference. The safety levers on aftermarket triggers like the Timney are more compact and ride a little higher, so you might consider one of those to minimize the inletting.

Very nice work with the forend tip, BTW.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Venezuelan sporter:

Timney installed on a mini Mauser:

Last edited by TeeBone; 12/27/22.
S
Sniggly Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by TeeBone
Originally Posted by Sniggly
Teebone,

I haven't photographed it yet (for the forum) but my stock also has some cross grain checking on the bolt side of the rifle on the butt. It's unfortunate that yours didn't reveal the checking until after you'd started the finish schedule. That just introduces more problems to an already very limited set of solutions. I have no idea how well I'll be able to hide the cross grain checking on my stock, but I hope it'll be sufficient enough to not draw the eyes to the area of the checking. I won't mind someone having to look for it, but it'll drive me crazy if that's all they see.

Still, a beautiful rifle. What's the nose treatment on it? Also I'd love to see the area where the bolt release is located, as well as the safety lever (if its the traditional Mark X safety lever).

Sniggly thanks. The checking is really of no consequence as the rifle is for my own use. Does make me grumpy when thinking about selling it at some point in the future.

Regarding the bolt release, the rifle pictured previously has the flat Browning style release. I can offer pics of a couple other rifles with mechanisms more similar to yours, the most recent project a mini Mauser. On those I just left a narrow border around the release.

My preference for Mausers has always been the M70 style swing safety, so I can't offer much advice on the best way to execute that. I did own a Venezuelan sporter with a safety similar to yours, so have attached a pic for reference. The safety levers on aftermarket triggers like the Timney are more compact and ride a little higher, so you might consider one of those to minimize the inletting.

Very nice work with the forend tip, BTW.

Venezuelan sporter:

Timney installed on a mini Mauser:

Beautiful Rifles. All of them. They represent a benchmark of a sort for what I have as a vision for this rifle. I am aware, however, that if I don't invest in the work, the end product will not live up to the vision. That raised edge treatment around the bolt release is already one of the features I will include as I work my way through the stock. I'm also going to be opening up the curve of the grip area on the inside; specifically the angle or area between the trigger guard screw and the grip cap. This was a recommendation from an extraordinarily good friend that's made himself available so many times. But past those two design choices, I'm still swimming a bit, such as how I'm going to shape the area around that safety switch. Part of the journey I'm sure. Thanks for those photos.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
You've seen my build going on...best advise I can give is this:
1. Go slow. Think about what you are about to do and don't rush it.
2. Don't try to incorporate to many 'custom' features from multiple stocks you have seen. There are lots of little things I wanted to do that ended up, in my opinion, detracting from the overall look of the stock I started with.

It's looking good.

IC B2

S
Sniggly Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Mrfixit
You've seen my build going on...best advise I can give is this:
1. Go slow. Think about what you are about to do and don't rush it.
2. Don't try to incorporate to many 'custom' features from multiple stocks you have seen. There are lots of little things I wanted to do that ended up, in my opinion, detracting from the overall look of the stock I started with.

It's looking good.

Amen. Your number 2 strikes a chord. I've 'oathed myself' to not doing anything until I know it's exactly what I'm looking for. I take fully and completely your point, as design elements from different rifles can clash and turn into an orchestral tuning session that never gets to the actual music. I hope you can do something with that other stock at some point.

S
Sniggly Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Did some test fitting. I'll have to do some 'figgurin' on the barrel channel.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by Sniggly; 01/07/23.
S
Sniggly Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
The barrel isn't centered in the barrel channel. The photo above makes this clear as a bell. I've had some conversation back and forth with Art (Sitka Deer) and initially he proposed I install rods to straighten the nose of the stock. After taking some measurements I only need to open the tight side by about 70 thou to have the barrel appear as though it's centered in the barrel channel. The flat on the top outside that usually exists on most stocks will end up being fairly thin, but I can take that dimension down a tad and widen it out a bit as well.

Still cogitating on it...

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 444Matt, 44automag, 35sambar, 13 invisible), 2,212 guests, and 674 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,668
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.