Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I have 5 kids and we make a decent living. My kids have come to expect a bit much in terms of tangibles from Santa.

This year we all drew names and that person was the only person you were getting a gift for. The average $ spent was about 25bux each.

We actually had a better time than any other year. There was no complaining and lots of laughter.

One of my kids (13) needed money to buy her brother something. She didn't want to babysit the youngest (7) for a couple of hours....so my wife called the neighbor kid and gave the neighbor the 10bux she asked for plus a $50 tip.....my kids jaw hit the floor. She ended up hustling about 12 bux in the hood shoveling snow and made the rest of the gifts by hand.....fantastic life lesson.

I drew my oldest daughter (16 in a week) and she just wanted money. I gave her a gift certificate for a weekend with me anywhere she wants to go....not a thing that she doesn't need....instead, something she does.

I'm liking this....and I saved a few grand to boot.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Awesome................Congrats!!!!!

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm all for kids learning life lessons

Trying to catch up on a few of 'em for my kids as adults.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I quit giving expensive gifts a few years ago when at my son's place for Christmas.

The presents around the tree wouldn't have fit in a U-Haul..

I watched them for 2 hours rip into one gift after another without even the slightest appreciation.

At that point, I just quit being an enabler.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Oh, I thought this thread was about you trying that great beer from Ska Brewing!

Never mind.

and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

d.v.

Musings on TDS
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
At 61 years of age, I have just about given up the whole gift thing. Most of us end up buying anything we want all year long. Some folks spend a lot of money they don't have on useless gifts people don't need. Even most children get everything they want all the time.

I'd rather spend time talking and share a good meal. I always said no one shops for me like I do anyway!!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
There is a local family here and they are all gifted carpenters and craftsmen. They draw names at Christmas for the following year. They only rule is it needs to be handmade and they have a year to do it. They get and give some AMAZING gifts that were thought out and worked on for the whole year.

Last edited by 160user; 12/25/22.

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Father of 5, Grandfather of 9, we have discovered “home made gifts” a bunch’s of years ago. All the Grandkids get/make gifts for one other Grandkid…adults do same for the other adults. Then always a big feast at our home. This year a smoked an 8lb Prime Rib….yummy.

"Know guns, no crime. No guns, know crime."
- Ralph Lauretano
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
my son is at a point where he needs to start gearing up to be on his own

his gifts from me this year were tools - breaker bar, jack , deep well socket set and folding shovel to keep in the trunk of his car. A starter tool box to keep in the garage.

the daughter got the jack and breaker bar when she went off to college , this year she got an air pump where you put in the pressure number you want and it pumps the tire up to that.

last year she had a flat tire on the way home. She was about 4 hours away. A state trooper stopped to help her. He opened the trunk and saw a floor jack, a breaker bar with the 17mm socket on it and a full size spare in the trunk. He changed the tire for her. I had her do it at home but in the heat of the moment, on the side of the interstate, I'm glad she didn't have to try.

I got the state troopers name and wrote a thank you note to him.

Anyways we are probably guilty of buying too many gifts at Xmas, but the gifts we get now are gifts that get them started on life.

My daughter is big on painting, every Xmas she paints me a country scene - a barn, a field, etc. This year she painted my 8N in front of a smoker barn in a field covered in snow. She has talent.

Last edited by KFWA; 12/25/22.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
W
WMR Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Teaching a 7 y/o a life lesson by Santa not bringing him anything for Christmas? Check. Gifts for five kids don’t have to cost a couple grand. Can we at least have an extra lump of coal for the fire, Mr Scrooge? 😳

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 160user
There is a local family here and they are all gifted carpenters and craftsmen. They draw names at Christmas for the following year. They only rule is it needs to be handmade and they have a year to do it. They get and give some AMAZING gifts that were thought out and worked on for the whole year.

I have a fantastic machine shop set up for gunsmith work and would love to build my kids and grand kids rifles of their choice....but when it becomes an expectation....we need to do a reset.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Always wished we had done one where nothing was purchased. All hand made at home.

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by KFWA

his gifts from me this year were tools - breaker bar, jack , deep well socket set and folding shovel to keep in the trunk of his car. A starter tool box to keep in the garage.

the daughter got the jack and breaker bar when she went off to college , this year she got an air pump where you put in the pressure number you want and it pumps the tire up to that.

last year she had a flat tire on the way home. She was about 4 hours away. A state trooper stopped to help her. He opened the trunk and saw a floor jack, a breaker bar with the 17mm socket on it and a full size spare in the trunk. He changed the tire for her. I had her do it at home but in the heat of the moment, on the side of the interstate, I'm glad she didn't have to try.

Anyways we are probably guilty of buying too many gifts at Xmas, but the gifts we get now are gifts that get them started on life.

My daughter is big on painting, every Xmas she paints me a country scene - a barn, a field, etc. This year she painted my 8N in front of a smoker barn in a field covered in snow. She has talent.

Kudos to you for thinking enough of your daughter to be sure she had the necessary tools to change a flat! ....PLUS a full size spare!
That crap furnished by manufacturers isn't even decent scrap iron! LOL!

Both my girls can change a flat, drive a standard and know how to hook up and pull a horse trailer.......and aren't afraid to do it.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
We beat the children at Christmas to let them know how good they have it the rest of the year.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Fireball2
We beat the children at Christmas to let them know how good they have it the rest of the year.

OMG! Does anyone know how to clean a whiskey and snot mixture off my computer?

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R

lol

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MartinStrummer

Kudos to you for thinking enough of your daughter to be sure she had the necessary tools to change a flat! ....PLUS a full size spare!

Both my girls can change a flat, drive a standard and know how to hook up and pull a horse trailer.......and aren't afraid to do it.

we tried to teach her to drive a stick

I kid you not - smoke was coming from the steering column and for the sake of the car we quit. She can get the boat off and on the trailer when we go fishing though so she isn't a lost cause

Last edited by KFWA; 12/25/22.

W
WMR Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W

Now THAT is parenting! Felony charges not withstanding, of course. 😳

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
At the age of 13 my grandfather, got me a cheap socket set, about 50 pices. Said it was time I started learning to use tools. I'm 64 now and still have most of it! I have alot better tools now days, but try to use the old set once in awhile.

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
W
WMR Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by MartinStrummer

we tried to teach her to drive a stick

I kid you not - smoke was coming from the steering column and for the sake of the car we quit. She can get the boat off and on the trailer when we go fishing though so she isn't a lost cause

Give her a Jeep with a stick and tell her that once she can drive it, it’s hers. She’ll master it in a day. Oh yea, give her that one piece of required instruction: “Remember honey, nothing REALLY bad happens with the clutch pressed in”.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
610 members (2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 60 invisible), 2,454 guests, and 1,131 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,597
Posts18,398,217
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.