-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Does anyone know anything about this shotgun?

I purchased a Rottweil 650 12ga single-trigger O/U shotgun in 1990 while stationed in Germany. It has decent wood, 5 choke tubes, and I shoot it very well.

My understanding is Rottweil is just the brand name it is sold under and it is made by another company. Does anyone know what company in what country actually built this shotgun?

Thank you in advance.

ExpatFromOK

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
ExpatFromOK;
Good evening to you sir, I hope the day behaved for you and you're well.

Thanks for twigging a memory for me tonight of a shotgun that a handloading and stock making mentor who has passed on had.

If I'm recalling correctly his was an O/U 12 gauge and I think it was a single trigger too. He was mostly a rifle guy but had that Rottweil and a Citori for chasing birds once in awhile.

We both liked how the Rottweil felt and handled better than the Citori for whatever that's worth and he shot it better too.

His would have been from the late '80's if I'm not wrong and he's been gone for perhaps 20 years now so I'm not sure what ever happened to it or where he initially got it.

Thanks for the memories tonight sir, hopefully someone who has more than that can answer.

All the best to you this Christmas Season.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Depending on the age of the shotgun - I believe early Rottweil guns were made in Italy - Gamba Brothers, into the 1980s. However- its my understanding that many, if not all, Italian made Rottweils were built by F.lli Gamba; and not by Renato Gamba.

At some point around 1990~ish, Dynamit Nobel in Germany took over the label, but there were some guns marked with Italian proofs and Dynamit Noble labels.

You’ll need to look at the proofs and stamps on the barrels and lugs to get any more detail.

Last edited by AH64guy; 12/15/22.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thank you for drawing my attention to the markings in the lugs. No doubt research of all of the markings on the lugs would provide a more definitive answer, there is one somewhat obvious marking that leads me to believe this gun was made in Italy, thus by F.lli Gamba. There is a stamped crest and below it the word “FINITO”. I can’t imagine Dynamit Nobel in GE would mark a gun built by them in that way.

Thanks again.
Expat

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
G
GRG Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
I brought back a Rottweil that I bought in the Rod and Gun Club by Karlsruhe Germany in 1985. Was a beautiful gun, cant remember the model but I know it didn't cost much over $400 at the time. I had been injured and got out of the Army so when back was talking with one of the gun store owners about it. He wanted it pretty bad and traded me out of it. Gave me a new Browning BPS, Used Remington BDL, a bunch of fishing gear and hunting gear. I don't know what he ended up getting out of it or if it just went into his collection. I don't think I have ever seen another one in the states.

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (1eyedmule, 007FJ, 270winchester, 22250rem, 12344mag, 270wsmnutt, 49 invisible), 2,195 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,239
Posts18,466,760
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.