Print Thread
Hop To
B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
"With my older eyes, I need more scope." Well before I had the cataract fixed, all more scope did was make the blur bigger. Scopes magnify, they don't correct. So curious on how more scope helped with older deficient vision.

I was leaving the wood an hour before others because I couldn't make out Deer or horns well in poor light, with the aiming eye. And 3x, 4x, 6x didn't make any difference. And that was at reasonably close distance. 200 yards and under.

Last edited by battue; 12/27/22.

laissez les bons temps rouler
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Quality of scope helps...not magnification. The S&B Polar is just outstanding!!!

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Have the S&B 6x that was offered here....Not any more acuity than with a Leupold 6x42. Perhaps a little, but the target never could be made 20/20 sharp.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've said for a long time, if you feel you need more scope because of f older eyes you need to see an eye doctor not just a lens fitter at Walmart. I'm 76, double cataract surgery many years ago and hunt and shoot a lot.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’m reminded of the guy that I worked with who went the economy route with his scope and could see a deer with his normal eyesight, but couldn’t see it in the scope. It does read like an eye examination should be in your near future.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
IC B2

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Issue was corrected with recent cataract surgery.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by battue
Issue was corrected with recent cataract surgery.

Glad it was a success! Might pick up a few birds too

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Thanks….I’ve been thinking the same for a good while. 😉

Just eliminated that excuse….🤣

Last edited by battue; 12/27/22.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
If that was the case reading glasses wouldn’t help. Cataracts is different and makes everything difficult. Nice thing is it is very fixable.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Indeed. Cataract surgery a few months ago was a godsend. Put me right back in the iron sight game too. Can't wait for the cataract starting in the other eye (non-dominant one) to get bad enough that my surgeon will do it. (I tried arguing to get it done now but he won't sit still for it.)

As he put it, "it's not if a human will get a cataract, it's when."

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
LASIK made a difference for me. $3500 scope you use a couple times per month for short periods of time or improved vision that benefits you every single day?

Talking to you is like trying to nail jello to the wall.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I went to the scope on my hunting rifle a few years back as my main sighting system instead of the express sights, because I wasn't able to focus on the front sight as well anymore without a substantial amount of light .
I keep a 1.5-4 X Leupold on my rifle , love that scope.
Cataracts are progressing however to the point he I will likely need to get surgery in a few years. In the meantime I can still focus on a long range Palma match target if I open up both diopters wide.
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by 260madman
LASIK made a difference for me. $3500 scope you use a couple times per month for short periods of time or improved vision that benefits you every single day?
LASIK started fading for me after about 10 years, doctor said I’d lasted longer than some before needing glasses again. Looking back I’d never have had LASIK.
But it was nice while it lasted.
Ronnie

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I also had only one eye corrected for cataract. Glad it was my dominant eye.

Every exam after that was same thing: your other eye is not ready for the procedure. This went on for over a year and a half. Finally the Dr agreed it was time. They wanted to schedule it this December. Yea that works, right in the middle of hunting season. I moved it to late February.

Looking forward to not seeing four winged birds and halos from oncoming cars at night. Also looking forward to putting the diopter setting back to center on my binoculars.

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
I need to have my other eye done as well. I have been putting it off for a while now. I need Cataract surgery and shoulder surgery. I'm waiting till after hunting season to have it done. Of course its my right shoulder, and I am right handed. Getting old sucks. At least its a good excuse to finally buy a suppressor.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by jc189
I need to have my other eye done as well. I have been putting it off for a while now. I need Cataract surgery and shoulder surgery. I'm waiting till after hunting season to have it done. Of course its my right shoulder, and I am right handed. Getting old sucks. At least its a good excuse to finally buy a suppressor.
Lol, did both eyes in Sept, back to 20/20. Left and right shoulder rotator cuffs done in last couple years and feel like new. It is a good time to be getting old!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I resisted higher powered scopes due to size and not feeling the need for them a long time. Probably had nothing to do with aging at all. But finally bought some higher powered variable scopes and I can certainly see better with them via the higher power settings. Much like my new Kowa spotter has more Xs than my older Zeiss did. More power has made it easier.

Plus, "Honey I'm getting older so my eyes could really use that 4-16 ATACR" worked well for me.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
411 members (007FJ, 1lesfox, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 40 invisible), 2,389 guests, and 982 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,731
Posts18,400,902
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.