Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
H
H
[quote=battue][quote=MartinStrummer]

I
Steel is no longer considered a no/no with modern offerings and mod or less. The Brits are going no lead and using modern steel loads in old British best.

huh?

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by harkom
[quote=battue][quote=MartinStrummer]

I
Steel is no longer considered a no/no with modern offerings and mod or less. The Brits are going no lead and using modern steel loads in old British best.

huh?

And you being a UK shooter????

Modern USA guns have the wall thickness to handle steel....And the Brits are even shooting standard steel in much older ones...However again, i doubt many here will think it possible..However as in England, lead here is most likely on a short string...and in fact in some states and specific locations it is already banned. Do as you wish....myself I am willing to pay for bismuth because I think it performs better than steel. However, have used TSS without issue, which is even harder than steel. Either way, lead likely will be banned soon, and we better be willing to accept the new science of steel or other alternatives.

Have been thru this before and expect the responses to mostly be the same..."Damed if I'm going to shoot steel thru my Beretta or Remington or etc, etc....

Addition: Personally I wouldn't shoot steel in a shotgun with thin wall chokes....However, most standard chokes today are steel proofed or they are available.

Last edited by battue; 12/19/22.

laissez les bons temps rouler
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I bought and use Kent 1oz bismuth loads #5's for 16 ga a couple years back. They work fine. Pretty sure they are still made but finding some might be tough..mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
T
Trudge Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by battue
Modern USA guns have the wall thickness to handle steel....And the Brits are even shooting standard steel in much older ones...However again, i doubt many here will think it possible..However as in England, lead here is most likely on a short string...and in fact in some states and specific locations it is already banned. Do as you wish....myself I am willing to pay for bismuth because I think it performs better than steel. However, have used TSS without issue, which is even harder than steel. Either way, lead likely will be banned soon, and we better be willing to accept the new science of steel or other alternatives.

Have been thru this before and expect the responses to mostly be the same..."Damed if I'm going to shoot steel thru my Beretta or Remington or etc, etc....

Addition: Personally I wouldn't shoot steel in a shotgun with thin wall chokes....However, most standard chokes today are steel proofed or they are available.

Not sure who you're trying to convince, but I hunt with steel out of my 12 gauges. But I have an older 16 gauge I love to hunt with, and it's thin metal and fixed full choke. I won't shoot steel through that, not because it's a super expensive gun, but because it will pit and destroy the choke over time, no question.

I haven't followed up on this thread for awhile. Through the data I gathered and some helpful advice from others, I have some recipes I'm working up that I'll send out for testing. But I ended up running low on shells and time, so I bought another case of Boss for this season, so I'll be working on it after the season ends at the end of next month. When I get results back, I'll post them here.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
As erich briefly suggested, give Ballisitc Products a call and ask for advice. They know lots of stuff about all of this--and are continually experimenting to increase their knowledge.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Not trying to convince any, however pointing out to one who said they wouldn’t use steel, that it is no longer considered bad for modern day shotguns.

Prefer bismuth or TSS myself if lead is not allowed in certain situations.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 160user, 1Longbow, 54 invisible), 2,681 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,365
Posts18,469,021
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.