Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I’ve read on a couple forums, that when Schrade / old timer went out of biz…

Soneobe bought up the left over USA stamped blades and sent to China to make finished knives…..

Is that true? 🤷🤷🤷🤷uote]

True, but as long as you know what you're getting they are good knives. I bought 3 of them from

https://www.smkw.com/

SMKW bought up a bunch of USA made blades and set them to China to have handles installed and sheaths. SMKW was selling them for the same price as the Chinese made knives. They came with a certificate with the story behind them. I paid less than $30 each for them.

This is the Chinese made version. The only difference is that my sheath does not include the sharpening stone and the blade is USA stamped.

https://www.smkw.com/schrade-henry-staglon-golden-spike

Since the blade is the most important part, I figured it was a good price for one of the originals. Especially since i see the same knife sell for $100 used. Well used in many cases. I could care less that the handle and sheath is made in China.

Last edited by JMR40; 11/16/22.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have a couple of Case Trappers I carry often. Lately though, I have been regularly carrying my old Buck 112. Fits my Wrangler pocket nicely but a bit heavy.
A bit of a trade-off I'm willing to work with. Holds an edge much longer than the Case's do.
Jeff

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by ring3
Carried a pocket knife forever. Recently lost one Ive had for years. Looking for a decent quality replacement. I like the three blade medium stockman style with rounded ends (3 1/4”- 3 1/2” closed). Like blades that aren’t difficult to sharpen and hold an edge fairly well. Used to stick with Uncle Henry but haven’t tried a Taylor (China) one. Anyone likeminded have suggestions or experience they care to share?

I've used many different types of things over the years. I've .. at least for now .. stepped away from the stockman's type knife that you're asking about. I carry a smaller Gerber LST in my pocket for opening boxes, etc, and a Benchmade mini-Bugout clipped to the top of my pocket. The Gerber is for abuse, things that make a knife dull kinda quickly, and the Benchmade is .. preserved .. for when I need very sharp like cleaning trout.

At one time I carried an old swiss army knife ... it had surprisingly "nice" steel but if I cleaned a fish, then put it in my pocket, I'd get about a quart of water running down my leg. Single blade knives minimize that.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Buck trapper. Blade says 382 on it. That sucker gets sharp!

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I've carried a Benchmade Mini Griptilion for a long time. lost a black one about 10 years ago, replaced it with a bright yellow one. Still have it and use it all the time.

MOLON LABE
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I've got the mini and full sized Griptilions. I appreciate the Grip part of the equation when my hands are cold.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
Case, Buck, Boker knives that I have owned have been great. Hard to beat an old American made Old Timer or Uncle Henry. I tend to like old Barlow style knives too.

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I like the old case 1970-90s knives but not much love for newer ones

I agree with others above that GEC is the best current traditional slip joint. They're made in Pa and appreciate rapidly.

I will admit that other than GEC or the older Case knives, I have several Spyderco knives after turning my nose up to them for years. Good choices of steel and high quality work to satisfy most buyers’ needs
They get carried the most while the others sit in the display cabinet.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (1minute, 10ring1, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 62 invisible), 2,982 guests, and 1,156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,526
Posts18,452,842
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.