Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 16 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 15 16
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm

I'm pretty sure you do, I can't remember though (I usually buy multiple items when I shop and there's always a flash of the licence required, no overly memorable event). Also powder is classed as an explosive and, in addition to showing your licence, it goes into a register that you have to sign off on -

mauserand9mm is correct, primers require a licence these days. Only inert components( brass, bullets, wads, hulls etc) do not.

BP-B2

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Question for Aussies:

Does anyone think that your more restrictive (as compared with the US) gun laws have reduced crime? Did the laws passed in the 1990s (including confiscation) cause any reduction of crime? Or were there demographic factors involved.

Here in the US, homicides by ethnic group are 19.8 per 100,000 for blacks, 6.4 per 100,000 for Hispanics, and only 1.7 per 100,000 for whites. The 1.7 figure is lower than most European countries.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
“Freedoms just another word for nothing left to lose”…JJ

Your freedoms keep you guys shit scared full time. The greatest amount of diatribe slandering of other countries is the result of deep seated fear and insecurity ingrained in alot of you guys. Maybe if you guys had a better standard of living, and life satisfaction, you'd understand.

Been to Australia 3 times your standard of living and satisfaction isn't any better or higher then the u.s
I wasn't overly impressed

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Your strippers however are top notch they are cheap and easy

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by rickt300
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Originally Posted by Raferman
Jstuart once told me the hoops one need jump through to obtain semi autos or handguns wasn't worth the trouble to him.

Not quite, a pistol licence is easy enough for club use...just paperwork. Semi auto is more convoluted...I can get such put on my licence but have absolutely no interest in doing so.
Those who have a disability can, and to be frank that is the only reason I would consider one for myself.

License, interesting that your require a license. Why?

rickhead, how are the school shootings going over there? What's the count so far this year? Why don't the armed heros over there come out of the closet and protect the children? Too busy posting about their freedoms on the internet I suppose, or pussys deep down maybe?

I( have been arguing for people to carry in schools for a long time now. Some states are allowing it and some aren't. Seems the ones not allowing it are the ones having the shootings. The big problem here is Democrats and week Republicans. Teachers and teachers unions are another. They prefer throwing rocks or balls and arming with clubs than really doing anything to defend kids.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Forgot about this thread.

I could much dig the remoteness of the wilder areas of Australia. I don't have to have mountains or oceans, or any specific landform or feature. I treasure aloneness.

I do appreciate the lawful liberty of most Americans to be armed as they live life. But I also get it that in a land the size of America with the population density of Australia, that the imperative to be armed is less of a deal.

If my fortune took me to Australia, I'd adapt and be happy. I'd never culturally be an Australian, but I'd enjoy trying.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Question for Aussies:

Does anyone think that your more restrictive (as compared with the US) gun laws have reduced crime? Did the laws passed in the 1990s (including confiscation) cause any reduction of crime? Or were there demographic factors involved.

Here in the US, homicides by ethnic group are 19.8 per 100,000 for blacks, 6.4 per 100,000 for Hispanics, and only 1.7 per 100,000 for whites. The 1.7 figure is lower than most European countries.

Firearm related deaths were on the decline since before the tighter restrictions were introduced, but any real effect of the restrictions would only be speculation since we don't have a "control" group to compare against.

https://www.ssaa.org.au/?ss_news=new-firearm-related-death-data-proves-nfas-real-ineffectiveness

Might want to search for other related documents here:

https://www.ssaa.org.au/news/research/research-archive/

We don't really have the social racial segregation that the US has - I think that most of our firearm violence is crime related without any racial factors. It's more a case of "Where's my money? I want my money!"

Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by johnw
Forgot about this thread.

I could much dig the remoteness of the wilder areas of Australia. I don't have to have mountains or oceans, or any specific landform or feature. I treasure aloneness.

I do appreciate the lawful liberty of most Americans to be armed as they live life. But I also get it that in a land the size of America with the population density of Australia, that the imperative to be armed is less of a deal.

If my fortune took me to Australia, I'd adapt and be happy. I'd never culturally be an Australian, but I'd enjoy trying.
I just looked this up for another post.

Generally, in the lower 48 you cannot get more than 115mi from a McDonalds (as the crow flies). Might even be less these days.

There is a great deal of Australia's empty country that is more than 300mi from a McDonalds, and a reasonable area of the Western Desert which is more than 450mi from the nearest McDonalds. Given the poor road system in remote areas, the driven distance is much, much, further.

Plenty of space to forget other people exist if you want, but don't think that you are that alone. Many of these areas still have good populations of the traditional owners, Australian Aboriginies, and they pop up in the oddest places when you are in the middle of nowhere. Usually very friendly, always interested in you, and if they are not helpful it is because you are asking for something against their belief system (like directions to a sacred site, etc.).

Also, plenty of Camels in those areas. The big bulls are nearly a ton in weight.

As mentioned earlier, Australia has the only population of wild camels on the planet. Yet, only really two predators of note, the Dingo (Australia's equivalent to the Wolf) and the Saltwater Crocodile (a sneaky ambush predator). Unlike the US where you may be confronted by a possessive bear, or hungry Lion where you may need a handgun, such a thing is unnecessary with Dingos, and worthless with the Crocodile.

Salties are sneaky.
https://www.facebook.com/630105451/videos/pcb.10159595513490452/10159595510815452

Last edited by Adamjp; 05/11/22.
DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
The outback is beautiful during Autumn, Winter and Spring, but can be extremely harsh over Summer. Harsh, as in pack up and go to the coast for a few months.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Question for Aussies:

They claim its about the same or a small drop. The background factor is Australia has doubled police per capita(twice as many cops on the street) since the 90's and the incarceration rate has also doubled. Thats not a net positive effect, except for a dictator in a banana republic maybe.

laws brought in for massacres are an argument full of holes anyway. A massacre as bad as it sounds is just 40 people shot up every 20 years or so. Meanwhile there are a steady 600 killed in regular homicides every year in the same time.

All the billions spent in weapons registration and extra police salaries, claiming to save 20-40 folks from a potential massacre when 15.600 still got murdered.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 158XTP
Makes it hard even to plink or load test. I remember shooting in the early 80's as a kid on my grandfathers 10 acre block. It was on a road down to a local beach, not built up, but not remote either. Most of the blocks were between 1/4 acre to 10 acre allotments. We were just plinking paint cans and trees for fun with 22LR, shotgun and 30-30 mostly. Looking back it must have created a hell of a racket, as at least a dozen houses were within rock throwing distance. But shooting noise back then was just considered regular occasional background noise, like dirt bikes or kids on ATV's. People thought, well those young fellas are shooting again, just as long as they dont keep it up all day its fine. With the world we live in now its hard to remember how well it worked before. One shot within earshot of that beach these days and ten folks would consider it civic duty to call police.

Interesting. My experience of growing up smack-dab in the middle of the states (Iowa) is about the same. NW Iowa is semi-rural, neither unpopulated or densely populated depending on one’s frame of reference. In the ‘60’s growing up before I could even drive, I’d carry my dads single shot 12 ga through town to get to the railroad tracks on the south edge. The ditches there held pheasants. I was always walking around with an air rifle shooting rabbits even before that. My home town was mostly made up of socially and politically conservative Dutch farmers and the like, mostly only a couple of generations past their forefathers immigration.

It’s a very heterogeneous town now with a small church-affiliated liberal arts college with its own self-appointed elite winking at our now annual Gay Pride Day.

I bet a kid wouldn’t get very far down the very route I took before being met by a lot of stern looking men with badges. Shy of breaking any laws, I’d almost like to test the proposition. 😉

DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I think the fifties, sixities, seventies was the golden age in Australia.....

B
Blu_Cs Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd
Originally Posted by 158XTP
Makes it hard even to plink or load test. I remember shooting in the early 80's as a kid on my grandfathers 10 acre block. It was on a road down to a local beach, not built up, but not remote either. Most of the blocks were between 1/4 acre to 10 acre allotments. We were just plinking paint cans and trees for fun with 22LR, shotgun and 30-30 mostly. Looking back it must have created a hell of a racket, as at least a dozen houses were within rock throwing distance. But shooting noise back then was just considered regular occasional background noise, like dirt bikes or kids on ATV's. People thought, well those young fellas are shooting again, just as long as they dont keep it up all day its fine. With the world we live in now its hard to remember how well it worked before. One shot within earshot of that beach these days and ten folks would consider it civic duty to call police.

Interesting. My experience of growing up smack-dab in the middle of the states (Iowa) is about the same. NW Iowa is semi-rural, neither unpopulated or densely populated depending on one’s frame of reference. In the ‘60’s growing up before I could even drive, I’d carry my dads single shot 12 ga through town to get to the railroad tracks on the south edge. The ditches there held pheasants. I was always walking around with an air rifle shooting rabbits even before that. My home town was mostly made up of socially and politically conservative Dutch farmers and the like, mostly only a couple of generations past their forefathers immigration.

It’s a very heterogeneous town now with a small church-affiliated liberal arts college with its own self-appointed elite winking at our now annual Gay Pride Day.

I bet a kid wouldn’t get very far down the very route I took before being met by a lot of stern looking men with badges. Shy of breaking any laws, I’d almost like to test the proposition. 😉

Sad but rings true.

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by DBT
I think the fifties, sixities, seventies was the golden age in Australia.....

The slide downhill started in the 70s. I had the same interests as my father and I was born 1948. In the 60s I could do anything my father could do when he was late teens and early 20s.

With guns in Australia I think 158XTP has covered things well. Actually I think the basic difference is Australians are shooters, seen in our main gun magazine, The Sporting Shooter. Australians talk about going on a shooting trip next week. Non shooters will often day to you "when are you going shooting"The volume o shooting is extremely high compared to America. In general smaller calibres are used. A lot of shooters will use the 22 rimfire and 22 magnum on everything. 223 shooters will use them on anything that moves.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I don't know about daily carry or in car but about 28% of the population live in rural areas. Not sure what percentage of these would carry, and rural areas may not necessarily mean that firearms would be present.

I used to hunt deer on a property a fews hours drive out of Brisbane. The neighbouring property was owned by a group of greenies from the southern states who had it as a retreat and santuary or sorts. I think the deer used to feed on their property and then get shot once they jumped the fence.

so you supported the gun bans and confiscation. No one is surprised

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by ribka
I don't know about daily carry or in car but about 28% of the population live in rural areas. Not sure what percentage of these would carry, and rural areas may not necessarily mean that firearms would be present.

I used to hunt deer on a property a fews hours drive out of Brisbane. The neighbouring property was owned by a group of greenies from the southern states who had it as a retreat and santuary or sorts. I think the deer used to feed on their property and then get shot once they jumped the fence.

Haaaaaahahahahaaaa ! LMGDMFAO !

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Swamplord
Originally Posted by ribka

Haaaaaahahahahaaaa ! LMGDMFAO !

Anti gun, loves the Mrna vax and supported shutdowns for a big hoax. Typical dumb boomer

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Australian Gun Law Update;
Here's a thought to warm some of your hearts....
Hi Yanks, I thought you all would like to see the real
figures from Down Under. It has now been 12 months since gun owners in Australia were forced by a new law to surrender 640,381 personal firearms to be destroyed by our own
government, a program costing Australia taxpayers more than $500 million dollars.
The first year results are now in:
Australia-wide, homicides are up 6.2 percent,
Australia-wide, assaults are up 9.6 percent;
Australia-wide, armed robberies are up 44 percent (yes, 44 percent)!
In the state of Victoria.....alone, homicides with firearms are now up 300 percent.(Note that while the law-abiding citizens turned them in, the criminals did not and criminals still possess their guns!)
While figures over the previous 25 years showed a steady
decrease in armed robbery with firearms, this has changed drastically upward in the past 12 months, since the criminals now are guaranteed that their prey is unarmed.There has also been a dramatic increase in break-ins and assaults of the elderly, while the resident is at home.
Australian politicians are at a loss to explain how public safety has decreased, after such monumental effort and expense was expended in 'successfully ridding Australian society of guns....'
You won't see this on the American evening news or hear your governor or members of the State Assembly disseminating this information.
The Australian experience speaks for itself. Guns in the hands of honest citizens save lives and property and, yes, gun-control laws affect only the law-abiding citizens.
Take note Americans, before it's too late!
FORWARD TO EVERYONE ON YOUR EMAIL LIST.
DON'T BE A MEMBER OF THE SILENT MAJORITY.
BE ONE OF THE VOCAL MINORITY WHO WON 'T STAND FOR NONSENSE
AUSTRALIA: MORE VIOLENT CRIME DESPITE GUN BAN

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
You really need to check your facts.

Or are you uninterested in the facts when they don't support your fantasy?

https://www.aap.com.au/factcheck/re...n-aussie-gun-laws-misses-the-mark-again/

or

https://leadstories.com/hoax-alert/...ew-gun-control-laws-were-introduced.html

or

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/australian-guns/

One thing I would agree with is that the 1996 buyback of outlawed guns in Australia would be ineffective, not because of the keyboard warriors who say they would refuse, but because the borders are less secure than the relatively isolated nation that is Australia. Then there is the legitimate domestic production for export which is likely to be redirected in part.

Last edited by Adamjp; 01/04/23.
DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Guns weren't outlawed, only semi autos. There is category that permits farmers to own self loaders for the purpose of eradicating ferals, etc.

Page 6 of 16 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 15 16

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
143 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 11 invisible), 1,437 guests, and 803 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,590
Posts18,397,899
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.