Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I trapped coyotes professionally from 1988 to 2002 when we left eastern Washington and moved to Alaska. I did year round coyote work, so much of the year I wasn't concerned with fur, just dead coyotes. It did give me the opportunity to try all the above mentioned methods. I always came back to a CB short or CB long to the head or heart. Blood spilled is minimal, death is quick and fur damage is non existent. Fur buyers do not care about one 22 caliber hole in the head or in the chest.

I tried 22 LR HV hollow points early in my career and found they produced a lot more blood than the CBs. Subsonics were not common back then and even the standard velocity 22 LR tended to produce more blood than the lowly CBs.

I used the heart stomp for a couple years but after having one really tough, old, battle scarred coyote that just wouldn't give it up, I quit using that method. After trying them, I found choke poles just took too much time for me to mess with so I only used them to release non target catches, like bobcats out of season.

I never found a little blood in the set area to be a deterrent to future catches. My best set ever, I got eleven coyotes in the same set and same trap over the course of the fur season. The trap had almost no dye or wax left on it by coyote number four but kept catching. It was on a wheat ranch I nor anyone else had never trapped, and was between a huge apple orchard and a cattle ranch. Coyotes were thick that year and especially thick in that area. I would scoop up any small puddles of blood and get them away from the immediate set area but a few drops never caused me any issues.

The CB to the heart is pretty impressive when done properly. I always waited for them to get into a position where they had the trapped foot extended, opening up the chest area and allowing an easy heart shot. It would put them down right now and death was almost as fast as a CB to the forehead. Sometimes it would take a few minutes of them dancing around to get that shot. When I was long lining, doing 175-250 miles a day on several large ranches, I didn't have time to wait for the heart shot so almost always resorted to the CB to the forehead.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
GB1

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I agree with the above and 160’s comments. The guys at Mn Trapline and their products/service are second to none.
When trapping or snaring and a live coyote at hand a single .22 hole does not affect much and with a stitch or two after skinning before put up you won’t be docked much. I’m not a skull guy so bang end of story. As mentioned a bit of cleaning soap on the desirous ones and maybe a borax rub and your good to go.
Today with the fur market as is.. do what you will to dispatch.
Get after them, won’t be long now and they’ll be showing rub.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
22 LR or Short.
In the head, behind the ear, if that shot is not available, between the eyes angled down a bit to get er in the brain.
They are a coyote, but we should dispatch them as humanly as possible, IMO.
Not a bunny hugger by any means, done my share of wacking things.
Good luck

Let him grow, Shoot a doe !
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by mart
I trapped coyotes professionally from 1988 to 2002 when we left eastern Washington and moved to Alaska. I did year round coyote work, so much of the year I wasn't concerned with fur, just dead coyotes. It did give me the opportunity to try all the above mentioned methods. I always came back to a CB short or CB long to the head or heart. Blood spilled is minimal, death is quick and fur damage is non existent. Fur buyers do not care about one 22 caliber hole in the head or in the chest.

I tried 22 LR HV hollow points early in my career and found they produced a lot more blood than the CBs. Subsonics were not common back then and even the standard velocity 22 LR tended to produce more blood than the lowly CBs.

I used the heart stomp for a couple years but after having one really tough, old, battle scarred coyote that just wouldn't give it up, I quit using that method. After trying them, I found choke poles just took too much time for me to mess with so I only used them to release non target catches, like bobcats out of season.

I never found a little blood in the set area to be a deterrent to future catches. My best set ever, I got eleven coyotes in the same set and same trap over the course of the fur season. The trap had almost no dye or wax left on it by coyote number four but kept catching. It was on a wheat ranch I nor anyone else had never trapped, and was between a huge apple orchard and a cattle ranch. Coyotes were thick that year and especially thick in that area. I would scoop up any small puddles of blood and get them away from the immediate set area but a few drops never caused me any issues.

The CB to the heart is pretty impressive when done properly. I always waited for them to get into a position where they had the trapped foot extended, opening up the chest area and allowing an easy heart shot. It would put them down right now and death was almost as fast as a CB to the forehead. Sometimes it would take a few minutes of them dancing around to get that shot. When I was long lining, doing 175-250 miles a day on several large ranches, I didn't have time to wait for the heart shot so almost always resorted to the CB to the forehead.

Finally, nothing but common sense. I guess we North Country boys think alike. Looking through this thread all I could think was there's sure a lot of kid stuff here. At least a few suggestions from people who have never BTDT.

Mathew 22: 37-39

M
M
I trapped a lot of coyotes here in MT and I always used a little RG pistol with 22 subsonics in the ear hole or just a good crack on the top of the base of the snout with a club. Always worked for me.

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I am surprised at the number of trappers responding to this
post. Great thread OP.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I always carried a 22LR handgun when I trapped. The coyotes were left in the woods to rot, but the small hole in the head didn't seem to hurt the fox values.

Last edited by Timbo; 06/29/23.
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I usually rig a chain around their legs & lower them slowly into a large pool of water in which I’ve released at least three hungry sharks.

If money is no object, sharks with lasers attached to their heads.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
.22 Short HP tight in the armpit.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I was never docked for a 22 hole in the head.

IC B3

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
You could always read them some selected passages from this blog. If that doesn't kill them outright, they will probably commit suicide.

The Rifle is the Weapon of Democracy
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Just shoot the SOB....22 between the eyes!

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

THIS Rio7

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I am with Yoder 22 short HP right behind shoulder. Usually skin them out with little blood, one hole in no exit.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Choke pole with rachet system or a 22 short just behind the ear.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by 160user
I have always used a 22 or 22 short. Draw an imaginary X between the eyes and ears and shoot just over the X. They will bleed but typically coyotes need to be washed after fleshing anyway. Add a shot of Woolite to the bath you give them and they will really look good.
MN Trapline Products is EXCELLENT to deal with. Great people that know what they are doing and have incredibly fast shipping. You can't go wrong with them. Try their MB-550's for coyotes and that is all you will ever use again.

Pretty much how I do it. I’ve never been concerned about the skull. Get there, dispatch, remake and move on as quick as possible.
If allowed and the terrain is right learn to use snares ,dispatch will rarely be an issue nor will blood be a mess when skinning.

Yes MTP is a great source for gear.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I trap coyotes in SC and fur isn't all that desirable but my sole desire to trap is to offset the depredation on the fawns and turkeys where I hunt. When I catch I use a 22 cal pellet rifle with a shot between the eyes. Turns the lights out real quick.

"Pride is the only disease that makes everyone sick except the one that has it"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I shoot them with a subsonic hollow point right behind the shoulder. Very little blood loss at the catch circle.

CK
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by readonly
Originally Posted by huntsman22
and then another moment after that, before you take the trap off his foot and he's free to recover during the remake....

Either you've never done it, or if you tried to do it and just don't know how.

readonly,
you apparently don't know huntsman22 very well if you think he's never or don't know how to kill a coyote....

That man's probably killed more coyotes than mange and parvo combined......

"...and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
Luke 22:36
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Highoctane
I trap coyotes in SC and fur isn't all that desirable but my sole desire to trap is to offset the depredation on the fawns and turkeys where I hunt. When I catch I use a 22 cal pellet rifle with a shot between the eyes. Turns the lights out real quick.

I have trapped very little and then only rabbits. But thinking about it, I've always had a 22 with me. If I somehow had to deal with a coyote I would have been a 22 to the head. Don't really care much about the hide, I wouldn't attempt to sell them I don't think. But a 22 in the head, well placed, is the most humane death I can think of. These days I do have a mod 16 Smith in 32 long I load with 90gr cast bullet's. Probably would use it just to be different! I can see no reason to make a coyote suffer dying just because it's a coyote!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (444Matt, 44automag, 35sambar, 10gaugemag, 12 invisible), 2,259 guests, and 775 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,662
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.