Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
My wife and I decided to take each one of our kids on a trip of their choosing right before they graduate. My son, being an avid photographer, is choosing Alaska for a multi-day photography trip, with the hope of capturing beautiful scenery and if possible, animals.

Here is where we are leaning - fly in to Fairbanks, rent a jeep/roof-top tent combo, and hit the road towards Denali National Park (we like the Parks...)

Few things:
- I have been out west a few times, but never to AK
- We are both in shape, but not looking to go crazy back country
- We will have quite a bit of gear - lenses, etc (hence staying in the jeep)

We can basically go any time in July. I am thinking towards the end of July, but thought I would inquire here. I realize the park will be more busy, but we are ok with that. He is in cross country that starts up in August.

This is what we figure for picture taking - driving the highway, cruising through the park (animals), short hikes from the jeep, guided night tour of northern lights (if weather permits), maybe a half day of fly-fishing (guided), etc. I am open to suggestions here also.

So- I guess I don't have any specific questions right off the bat, but thought I would just get a general idea from anyone that may have some suggestions, recommendations, "stay away from's", etc. Places to camp along the way, in the Park, etc - would also help.

He is a good kid, and we are looking forward to this trip. If anyone is curious, you can check out his website he created.... https://www.joeyjolin.com/

Thanks in advance,

joe

Providing digital marketing services for startups & small-to-midsize companies - including website design/hosting, videography and editing.

www.jolinmedia.com
BP-B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Change July to first week in September. Fall colors will be in full bloom and animals will look their best. I was a wildlife photographer living in Alaska for several decades and nothing beats first week of September.
Chances of seeing northern lights in July is almost impossible due to excessive daylight.
You can only drive a short distance in the park, roughly 12 miles. After that you either walk, bike, or take the park service bus.

If you’re stuck on July, try to get a permit for McNeil River. It is most likely the premier place in the world for photographing brown bears. Truly awe inspiring adventure. I was lucky enough to draw a permit 4 times and nothing compares to it.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You could always fly into King Salmon and catch a short, 15 minute flight on a float plane over to Brooks Camp for all the Bear pictures you'd ever want, there is cabins or camping there.
From there you can take another 10 minute flight over to Fure's Cabin for a few days of hiking, the cabin is like $45 bucks a night that time of year and you'd have it all to your selves.
Plenty of fishing at both locations and both are in Katmai National Park.
Your rental car money could pay for your float plane fees.

BROOKS CAMP

[Linked Image from alaskatravelgram.com]

FURE'S CABIN

[Linked Image from media-cdn.tripadvisor.com][Linked Image from media-cdn.tripadvisor.com]

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
wow. Thanks for the information. I wanted to go in September anyways, so I will look into it.

Providing digital marketing services for startups & small-to-midsize companies - including website design/hosting, videography and editing.

www.jolinmedia.com
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here's the best way to see Mt. McKinley Park and animals and to avoid the rush of other visitors. Not cheap but if you can get a reservation well worth considering:

https://www.kantishnaroadhouse.com

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lotsa great advice above.

If taking a bus into Denali, I prefer to sit on right side going in and left side coming out.

When looking for wolves, don't look for wolves. Watch the prey animals [dall sheep and caribou]. If they are all staring in one direction, more than likely, there's a major predator they're watching.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Next year will be interesting for Denali. The road into the park is expected to remain closed at mile 43 for all of 2023 due to the rock slides.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
September, for sure.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Depending on the weather, Denali could be a serious bust. You could spend two weeks there and never see the Great One. With the road closures it's going to be even more difficult. Spending some time out on the Denali Highway could yield some nice photos if you need a different option. As an added bonus you'll get to experience some world class skeeters!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
We much prefer the train. Low price bus rides to tour McKinley "er a Denali".

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Thanks everyone. After talking with the boy, we decided to not go the rustic route and do any fly-ins (someday I hope too....). We were able to get the trip moved to the first week in September, and will keep an eye out for road closures/issues with the park.

Since the plan is to still rent a vehicle, but not go to Denali, do you recommend a different location to check out? Maybe fly into Anchorage?

I appreciate your help.

joe

www.jolinmedia.com
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fly into Anchorage, head north to Wasilla then Talkeetna and on to Fairbanks. Make sure you see the car museum in Fairbanks. Then head to Delta Jct and on to Valdez and back to Anchorage.

That will expose you to the most of Alaska you can see from a road with plenty of side trips along the way…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
That is good advice from Shrapnel. I'd also include a UAF Museum visit in Fairbanks.

Getting wildlife pics without getting far from the vehicle is not a good prospect, generally. Scenery, yes. Hatcher pass is north of Anchorage is a nice drive, i hear. My wife has been there, I never have.

If going south out of Anchorage to Seward, Homer, etc., do some glassing for sheep and goats at the Seward Y area. You won't get close-ups of animals, but I almost always can see some there on the mountain sides. Sometimes black bear. A several mile hike up to Carter lake is nice, also.

if the salmon are still in the streams of Portage Valley, there is potential for some bear pics there, also- probably blacks only. Early and late.

There is also a sheep viewing area at Sunrise a few miles down the Sterling Hwy from the Y. At Russian River, there is a falls a couple miles up from the campground- good trail. A fairly good prospect, with patience and time spent, to find a bear fishing there early and late if the salmon are there, but I've seen small black bears there almost any time of day when the salmon are in.

Go to Hope, drive up Palmer Creek Road, spend some time up there. Maybe get moose, and/or bear (black, mostly) pics. Good fall colors.

For fantabulous fall colors, Interior is the best! If you fly into/go to Fairbanks, head up the Steese Hwy, maybe pick a ridge between the two summits (about 90-100 mile drive from Fbks), follow any 4 wheeler trail 1-2 miles up the face of a spur ridge to above timber-line, maybe get some caribou pictures. Maybe....

Possibly some bear pics too, working any caribou gut piles and the berry patches. I haven't done it that time of year- only in June and August, so that's just a throw-out thought.

Again, without some hiking or a fly-in, or park visitation, wildlife viewing/photography is likely to be pretty spotty, so keep your expectations realistic. Alaska is huge, with fewer animals per square mile than most envision, and they don't much like to be close to people areas.

Last edited by las; 01/02/23.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've been to Denali twice, only living creature I saw besides tourist was a ground squirrel. Take the advice from others and get a reservation to go beyond the tourist depot.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Dont give up on going to Denali. It is a 4-5 hour drive from Anchorage and some of the best moose photography in the world exists at mile markers 8-13. This section of the park is open to private vehicles until you hit the gate at roughly mile 15. Cruise this section of the road, back and forth, until you see a traffic jam. The jam usually indicates moose close by.

I would also take the park bus as it can take you to Sable Pass which is a common area to find bears as well as the occasional wolf.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some of what you can find on the trip from Anchorage around to Valdez and back...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I advise changing the focus from wildlife pics to taking pics of the never ending wild scenic beauty.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
From Paxson to Black Rapids is probably the most spectacular section for incredible mountain views. Read Alaska's Wolfman before you go as Black Rapids was his and the book will open your eyes on things to look for. Bring a fly rod and fish the Gulkana River between Summit and Paxson Lakes. It is right next to the road and the best chance to catch the fish of a lifetime along the road system. It is a catch and release grayling trophy fishery. I have taken quite a few people there for grayling over 20".

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Tanana River bridge, 55 miles South of Fairbanks on the Parks Hwy, town of Nenana is just across the bridge on the S side of the bridge (on the left)

Christmas day around 12:45 pm

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

about halfway between Anchorage & Fairbanks is the abandoned "Igloo" hotel, after years of being vacant, some are now intent on creating an urban myth about it being haunted, a load of crap of course ...

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
706 members (11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 117LBS, 12344mag, 84 invisible), 2,637 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,691
Posts18,399,843
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.