Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Get a copy of "the Milepost". It is a must for visitors traveling around Alaska.
https://www.amazon.com/MILEPOST-2023-Alaska-Travel-Planner/dp/1892154579/ref=sr_1_1?crid=159KZ498R6UMW&keywords=milepost+alaska+2023&qid=1672695848&sprefix=milepost%2Caps%2C313&sr=8-1

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by las
That is good advice from Shrapnel. I'd also include a UAF Museum visit in Fairbanks.

Getting wildlife pics without getting far from the vehicle is not a good prospect, generally. Scenery, yes. Hatcher pass is north of Anchorage is a nice drive, i hear. My wife has been there, I never have.

If going south out of Anchorage to Seward, Homer, etc., do some glassing for sheep and goats at the Seward Y area. You won't get close-ups of animals, but I almost always can see some there on the mountain sides. Sometimes black bear. A several mile hike up to Carter lake is nice, also.

if the salmon are still in the streams of Portage Valley, there is potential for some bear pics there, also- probably blacks only. Early and late.

There is also a sheep viewing area at Sunrise a few miles down the Sterling Hwy from the Y. At Russian River, there is a falls a couple miles up from the campground- good trail. A fairly good prospect, with patience and time spent, to find a bear fishing there early and late if the salmon are there, but I've seen small black bears there almost any time of day when the salmon are in.

Go to Hope, drive up Palmer Creek Road, spend some time up there. Maybe get moose, and/or bear (black, mostly) pics. Good fall colors.

For fantabulous fall colors, Interior is the best! If you fly into/go to Fairbanks, head up the Steese Hwy, maybe pick a ridge between the two summits (about 90-100 mile drive from Fbks), follow any 4 wheeler trail 1-2 miles up the face of a spur ridge to above timber-line, maybe get some caribou pictures. Maybe....

Possibly some bear pics too, working any caribou gut piles and the berry patches. I haven't done it that time of year- only in June and August, so that's just a throw-out thought.

Again, without some hiking or a fly-in, or park visitation, wildlife viewing/photography is likely to be pretty spotty, so keep your expectations realistic. Alaska is huge, with fewer animals per square mile than most envision, and they don't much like to be close to people areas.

+1. I didn't spend much time In squarebanks but otherwise good info. Especially in hope. A very nice spot folks don't think about. Alot of good moose and black bear up palmer creek.

B
B
Sounds like the trip of a lifetime

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
You could always stop and stay a few days at my family's Lodge here in Talkeetna. WWe offer an array of activities including bear viewing and fishing trips. Nice cabins with views of Denali just down the road.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Broad Pass, near Cantwell in Sept. '22. One of these years I have to drive the Denali Hwy to/ from Paxton/ Cantwell....

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

There is a roadside pullout over on the Pax side on the Richardson hwy with spawning salmon thick in the stream. Sept might be late for that. Can't fish for those, but the lake trout are in there scarfing their eggs, also. Check the regs - 30 years ago the lakers were legal to fish for, don't know about now. 12 -16 " max is what I caught, on the way back from dipping at Chitna.

There are always some ignorant Karens ready to torpedo your legal activity.

You WILL be visited by a game warden if fishing there. .... Nice guys usually. smile

Last edited by las; 01/08/23.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
I’ve not done it, but have been told by those who have taken the train from Seward to Anchortown has fabulous scenery. It goes through the heart of the Kenai mountains.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Music_Man
Get a copy of "the Milepost". It is a must for visitors traveling around Alaska.
https://www.amazon.com/MILEPOST-2023-Alaska-Travel-Planner/dp/1892154579/ref=sr_1_1?crid=159KZ498R6UMW&keywords=milepost+alaska+2023&qid=1672695848&sprefix=milepost%2Caps%2C313&sr=8-1
I'll second this, wife bought one and it was an excellent idea.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Take a Denali flightseeing tour out of Talkeetna. Get the glacier landing package where you land up at the head of Ruth Glacier.
The scenery in Alaska is fabulous from the ground, but to see it from 4-5000’ up it’s spectacular.

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I agree! My first trip on the train was in about 1955 from Fairbanks to Anchorage and back. I still love it.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Nenana railroad bridge from the highway bridge.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
If cruising up the Parks Hwy past Trapper Creek, don't forget to stop & shop at WAL*MIKES

stick around and have a chat with Mike, he'll talk your ears off

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Swamplord
If cruising up the Parks Hwy past Trapper Creek, don't forget to stop & shop at WAL*MIKES

stick around and have a chat with Mike, he'll talk your ears off

I stopped in and gave him a Moose liver once from a bull we'd taken up off Petersville Road.

About a half dozen old farts sitting out front, they swooped in on that liver like Coyotes on a fresh kill, I mighta even started a fight.

Didn't hangout to chat, I was on a mission. In and out in less than a minute.

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Following this guys! Headed back to Alaska this fall!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by SledDogGuy
You could always stop and stay a few days at my family's Lodge here in Talkeetna. WWe offer an array of activities including bear viewing and fishing trips. Nice cabins with views of Denali just down the road.
Who is this? Just curious. Jerry is that you?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Online Shocked
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Swamplord
Tanana River bridge, 55 miles South of Fairbanks on the Parks Hwy, town of Nenana is just across the bridge on the S side of the bridge (on the left)

Christmas day around 12:45 pm

about halfway between Anchorage & Fairbanks is the abandoned "Igloo" hotel, after years of being vacant, some are now intent on creating an urban myth about it being haunted, a load of crap of course ...

nenana is where I live ...

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Ranger
Online Shocked
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] this is from my living room window...

Campfire Ranger
Online Shocked
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by las
Nenana railroad bridge from the highway bridge.

Me 4 miles up river from that bridge...[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Thanks for your help - at this point I have the flight booked into Anchorage on September 2nd. Ill be planning/mapping out our destinations in a couple weeks (kids spring break weekend), but we are leaning towards renting the Jeep with rooftop tent and slowly making our way to Denali and back down for the week. More to come....

joe

Providing digital marketing services for startups & small-to-midsize companies - including website design/hosting, videography and editing.

www.jolinmedia.com
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by m_stevenson
Take a Denali flightseeing tour out of Talkeetna. Get the glacier landing package where you land up at the head of Ruth Glacier.
The scenery in Alaska is fabulous from the ground, but to see it from 4-5000’ up it’s spectacular.
AMEN BROTHER !!! A great Flight, money well spent !!!

"not too grumpy"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Been to Denali twice, saw a ground squirrel, that's the extent of the wildlife seen!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
269 members (1minute, 45_100, 204guy, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 280shooter, 40 invisible), 2,160 guests, and 965 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,633
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.