24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Anyone use them, with the cam locks? Are they worth buying?

GB2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Cam locks are a great invention. Most truckers use them.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
My chains aren't Laclede, but they do have cam locks - yes, they are worth it, but you'll still want spring or rubber tighteners.

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the info!

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have the Laclede V Bars.

I've had them on the truck 4 times, with doubled up rubbers.

Makes pucker factor mountain roads easy!

No issues so far.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MikeL2
My chains aren't Laclede, but they do have cam locks - yes, they are worth it, but you'll still want spring or rubber tighteners.

You aren’t putting them on right if you need additional rubber snubbers…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by shrapnel

golly, I'll just call you to come over next time I need them

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you put chains on RIGHT, you don’t bungees, spiders, or anything else, with the possible exception of tucking in the overly long end of an I’ll fitting chain to keep it from hitting a fender.

Cams are worth having if you are going to use chains for extended periods, as opposed to just for getting through a drift or mud hole.

If any of my drivers give me the “I need bungees for chaining” line, they have automatically signed themselves up for remedial chain classes.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Laclede v-bar with cams are awesome for a ladder style chain. Maybe overkill for some people though.

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Again, thanks to all for the info!

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I carry a couple 6" 2x4's along with my chains. If I can move the pickup at all, I lay out the chains and put a 2x4 between 2 of the cross links. Then I drive up on them. That little bit of height gives me a lot of extra room to adjust the chains to get them tighter. If I'm good and stuck, sometimes I can get the chains on any way possible and then drive up on the boards to tighten them properly. Luckily I haven't been that stuck in many years.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I carry a couple 6" 2x4's along with my chains. If I can move the pickup at all, I lay out the chains and put a 2x4 between 2 of the cross links. Then I drive up on them. That little bit of height gives me a lot of extra room to adjust the chains to get them tighter. If I'm good and stuck, sometimes I can get the chains on any way possible and then drive up on the boards to tighten them properly. Luckily I haven't been that stuck in many years.

You ole trucker, you!

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Works well, if you're chaining up before you're stuck!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by shrapnel

golly, I'll just call you to come over next time I need them
Shrap is right. Either you are using the wrong size of chains, or you are not installing them correctly. The cams tighten the chains. That’s all I’ll run on a truck. They work great

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I use the rubber keepers on my v-bar chains. Dunno what the big deal is?

As the chains loosen, from throttling hard with a load of firewood, they keep the chains from slapping my brake lines. I even bungee my brake lines to flex away from the tires as the suspension articulates.

Anyhow, learned something new about aggressive v-bar chains hooking up under hard throttle/diesel torque and loaded down with 4700lb loads of green birch:
The force finds the weakest link. First, it was an old drivline ujoint. Next, was those btch-asz Warn "premium pot metal hubs". The entire things are made completely of aluminum. The bezels, hub gear and housings. They strip out and strand you. Had to replace them with beefy all-steel mile Marker hubs. Thanks to v-bar chains, for helping me find the weak link.....

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I have a set for my rig. Only used them once in the past 3 years, but they saved my ass there and were worth the extra weight. The Cam-Locks are darned nice and they get them pretty darn tight on the tire.

Semper Fi
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
mainer,

I have no problems with the rubber keepers. In fact, I think they do a good job keeping the chains on without being too tight. As long as they are in good shape, but they can obviously get damaged in deep ruts.

I have seen Toyo M55 sidewall rubber split from chains being too tight. That stated, the cams can do just fine as well but I think some people tend to overtighten chains in general.

I also ran into a similar situation with Warn hubs, but that was quite awhile ago. I ended up using Superwinch hubs. The guys at the 4x4 shop laughed when I asked for Warn and showed me the differences.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
805 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 1234, 12308300, 79 invisible), 3,189 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,714
Posts18,400,344
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.