-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
My 1st Drilling - a Sempert & Krieghoff Blitz-Action - 16x16x8,57JR - 21-3/4" bbls

Although I've collected several Cape Guns over the years, I just purchased my first Drilling.

Its a - Sempert & Krieghoff Blitz-Action Drilling in 16ga,16ga, 8x57JR

I was drawn to this one because of the very short barrels, and its very good condition, with nice engraving. I've figured out the cocking and shooting sequence and the function of the little button ahead of the right trigger.

As always, comments are welcome.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

You never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early.
GB1

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
That is a beautiful rifle - Congratulations! If mine is any indication, they shoot very well. The 8x57JR caliber is much more effective than many give it credit for.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Beautiful drilling!

If I'm reading it right, it has a .318" groove diameter--common in older drillings--rather than the .323" diameter of the 8x57JRS. What ammo/bullets are you planning to use?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Beautiful drilling!

That Boehler Antinit steel is a superior steel that is highly corrosion resistant. It came extra cost as a premium.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hello Mule Deer,
Hello luv2safari,

Thanks for the reply.

I will be hand loading the correct .318 dia bullets.

Axel E is from Germany, and is very knowledgeable about all types of German guns. He answered my question in detail on the German Guns Forum. He has helped me many times with questions about German Guns. Here is what he said about this drilling:

" ... During the interwar years Sempert & Krieghoff propagated their short drillings with barrel lengths of 55 or 60 cm, about 22 or 24”. The shorter than usual barrels vastly improved balance and handling. They called their short drillings “Modell Waldschütz” = forest shooter. As your’s is fitted with a horn trigger guard, a cartridge holder in buttstock, high grade wood and engraving, it is a “Waldschütz Luxus”.
Afaik, on their early drillings with the separate cocking of the rifle barrel lock by the top slide, the front trigger did not automatically switch back to the right shot(gun) barrel on pulling the slide back. You had to push that little button to reactivate the shot(gun) barrel lock. Check it out this way: Load the drilling with snap caps or empty cases. Push the selector slide forward to Kugel = rifle position. Now the automatic rear sight ought to be raised, indicating the front trigger will fire the rifle barrel. Pull back the top slide to the Schrot = shot(gun) position. Pull the front trigger, but nothing ought to happen, unless you pushed the small button in between.
By 1930 Krieghoff had redesigned their lockwork, omitting the button and the extra movement. ... "

It was nice to have the additional information about my drilling from Axel. He is a remarkable source for answering questions.

You never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Early post war Sauers were short drillings with 23.25" barrels and are sweet to carry. I have a nice little Circa 1955 Sauer Lux in 6.5X57R that I use sometimes as an upland shotgun. I'll bet yours will handle like a nice double.

You might slug the bore to see just how close it is to .318. MANY of the drillings of that vintage had .320/.321 bores. They made them that way because any kind of ammo was scarce, and a lot of hunters shot surplus .323 S-bore ammo; it was all they had. The bore size was a compromise and worked fine. They could tap the fired brass out with a rod.

If the bore slugs to .320 or .321 you might want to try some 32 Special 170 gr bullets. Back in the day they were all we had that were smaller than the standard .323, and they shot exceedingly well. I wish I still had some, especially for my 8X57JR cape gun that slugs .321 and a hair. Also, as to reloading for it, R15 is your friend.

Can't wait for your range report! laugh

NOTE: I forgot to mention that there are some between the wars guns that have an extractor device added to the rimmed case extractor to pull up rimless brass. It's a small spring loaded button on the rimless extractor edge that pushes down over the rimless round rim and lifts the round out when the main extractor opens up. These are common on 7X57R guns and on 8X57JR guns, so they could use the surplus rimless ammo. Smart way to make do in hard times.

Last edited by luv2safari; 12/28/22.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
That is a nice-looking drilling.

I too have a Modell Waldschütz. Mine is a Krieghoff, not Sempert u Krieghoff, and post WWII. It is built on a Dural frame, so with that and the short barrels it is very light (6 lb bare) and very handy.

AFAIK Waldschütz means "forest ranger", and I had understood that they were built for that purpose - something versatile but also handy as you went about your work as a ranger in the forest.

I hope it shoots well for you!

H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
Congrats on a great Firearm. I love how you dove into the History. I didn't realize the special steel used on these Drillings is actually the same steel used on diving knives.

Beautiful Rifle.

HS 58

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (160user, 11point, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 54 invisible), 2,989 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,352
Posts18,468,867
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.