-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Old Town Next. OK, it's not a canoe in the purest sense, but it checked the boxes for what I wanted in a small fishing rig. I've been a kayak guy since 1999 and know very little about canoes. Most fishing kayaks I found were ~80 lbs. and this thing is ~60. Haven't paddled it yet since it's freakin' cold and snowy. I have some time to get it set up before the weather turns.

I'm looking for tips on how best to set this up for solo bass fishing. My biggest priority is keeping things light and easy to use. I want to be able to toss it in the truck and go to the lake. So far, I'm considering something like the YakAttack BlackPak for the stern behind the seat. What else should I consider/look at?

File pic of the boat:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by SockPuppet; 12/31/22.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I have a inflatable fishing Kayak, its tough to reach back for quick access I want my stuff in front of me and not to hinder paddling. Sit in boat and set it up to where it works for you is how I figured my layout. A couple of trips will tell you what works and what does not.

Link to my 13ft Saturn Fishing Kayak , have added rod holders and keep small tackle box, stored under my knees, keeps them from cramping.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CkCgtyIr028/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Last edited by kk alaska; 12/31/22.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Good stuff, thank you.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have a little compartment up front in my kayak and put my hooks and splits in there with a knife for easy access if I’m fishing baits. For lures I just carry around my backpack in the back I’ll pull over and change. The better lures I keep in a little tacklebox up front with me.
Should use rod straps and tie everything down.

I also have a portable fish finder I put over the side using one of my rod holders.

Just remember to get a good life jacket.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the tips, SL. I have multiple kayak PFDs. One of which is an Astral Sturgeon so I plan on using that.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
Sure looks like a canoe to me, pointed on each end and it floats.

I’ve got an Old Town like that hanging in the shop, 16-17’ I’m not sure any more. Used it once and it worked out really well, you will like yours. I use my Grumman aluminum a lot for trapping and beaver work.

Sorry I’m not much on the rigging but when I have clients on the river here I notice some really spruced up fishing canoes floating by. I think there are a ton of options for that on the market.

Guy I know has his set up with a car size twelve volt battery up front for steering weight and it’s long wired back to him and his trolling motor mounted on the gunnel. That’s all I can offer.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've canoed extensively for many years...here's my take considering I haven't fish for bass in decades:
My lures would be in a simple tackle bag that would hang on the gunwale within reach or perhaps on that thwart in front of you.
The landing net would be up front with handle on the thwart also.
For amidship paddling, you may want to try your kayak paddle but keep and extra paddle on board.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks, Vern, appreciate it! It's supposed to warm up a bit this weekend so I may get to do a little test run.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

617 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1337Fungi, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 1234, 58 invisible), 3,273 guests, and 1,113 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,297
Posts18,468,035
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.