Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'd like to install a system of three or four outdoor security cameras around the place, and I am overwhelmed with all the choices out there. Bewildered, even.

What I want is wireless cameras for starters. I also want local storage of all camera footage and the ability to monitor cameras and footage via smartphone app (and PCs in the house as well if that is possible). I do NOT want a subscription service or monitoring by a third party and I want all data to remain as private as possible. I haven't found a website where systems are compared and the undesired features can be weeded out.

If anyone knows all about this stuff---or even just a good website where I can compare available systems and easily select one that suits my desires, I'd sure appreciate the info.

Happy new year.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

GB1

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Tag…

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Tag +2

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
WTF is Tag?

Last edited by BuckHaggard; 01/01/23.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm using cellular cameras on my place in several locations.

Works fine for me. I have mine hooked up to a solar power system, and don't even buy batteries. Instant photos to my phone, plus a hard copy to the SD card.

WiFi cameras just can't be used here because of the distances and limited range of WiFi.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Just a placeholder in a thread. Makes it easy to find again later by just pulling up all the threads you've posted on.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Works fine for me. I have mine hooked up to a solar power system, and don't even buy batteries. Instant photos to my phone, plus a hard copy to the SD card.

WiFi cameras just can't be used here because of the distances and limited range of WiFi.
What kind of cell cams,and what service do u use?

Rehab is for quitters!
THEY are all guilty!
Name one honest politician!
DEFINE Treason.
God bless the USA
Democrats ARE the plague!
RINO'S need to be hunted!
Who's a bigger puzzy than Paul Ryan? Mike Pence? John Kerry ?
REELECT NOBODY! Except Trump
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
We've had giod luck with ARLO

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Blink is working pretty well for us and does all the things you listed. The Missus hit a deal on Amazon and got the doorbell/cam and three more cameras for under 200 bucks.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
We use the BLINK cameras and they do a good job. They are motion cameras that do pics or video set to whatever length you want. They send a notice to my phone when they're triggered and I can look at all of them in real time, watch the videos later and also talk through them. We live in an area with high speed internet so they may not work that great depending on what kind of speeds you get.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Arlo system for 6 years here. Works great

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I got a cheap POE Reolink 2 camera system with NVR. Around $400.

Went that route because I know zero about security cams but I can run CAT6 and terminate. If I don't like the cheaper cameras the wire will be there for whatever comes later.

As far as I can tell Reolink does not store any data with the use of their app. You don't have to use the app at all. I set mine up to send email alerts. You can use browser to access the NVR for playback.

The cameras will work stand alone without NVR with SD card for storage.

Their documentation sucks. However its not that hard to figure out settings etc.

So far they are working fine. Night time performance is not great but daytime is. I think you would have to spend much more for better nighttime performance. Or maybe a separate IR light....

POE (wired) works for me. Don't know chit about any of the wireless setups.

Good luck

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
PTZ...

Last edited by CashisKing; 12/31/22. Reason: Fixed Link

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Tminc
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

What kind of cell cams,and what service do u use?

I have Stealthcams and there's both Verizon and AT&T here, but AT&T works better with 2 towers within like 5 miles.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MARCEL
Arlo system for 6 years here. Works great

My brother has those on his house and property. (About an acre)

Not sure how many cameras he runs, but several... I do know he says he spends LOTS of money on batteries for them.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've gone thru a few of them over the years, all of them cheap brands.

The cameras do OK, but the DVR is what fails - I guess the constant running and looping on the hard drive.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
A good PTZ can capture a moving car (AND A PROSECUTABLE LICENSE PLATE) at 200 yards... at night... at 30 miles per hour.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
We have a ring door bell and a ring camera. The door bell works really good. The ring camera on the driveway never works. I need to get on a ladder and push the reset button and try to reset. The first camera failed and they had to send me another camera. To trouble shoot it Ring made me stand on a ladder on one foot, jump up and down, then blind fold myself and turn the breaker on and off, then repeat standing on the ladder on one foot and jump up and down before they would believe me it didn’t work.

I need to look at getting some dependable cameras. This is a good post, my guess several of us need cameras.

My wife wants to get hard wired cameras as opposed to WiFi connected. Some of the Wi-Fi cameras have to be taken down every few months and charged. Hard wired are probably more reliable.

Thanks, Billy
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by CashisKing
A good PTZ can capture a moving car (AND A PROSECUTABLE LICENSE PLATE) at 200 yards... at night... at 30 miles per hour.

Those cameras I have will capture the license plate if it pulls into my entrance. It sends a low-rez photo to my phone, like the one posted, but you can download the high-rez if you want.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (17CalFan, 007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 1234, 61 invisible), 2,323 guests, and 1,179 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,093
Posts18,464,104
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.