Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
It’s been kinda slow on this Africa forum lately, so let’s liven things up with a discussion of what hunts everyone has booked for this year or hopes to do in 2023.

I leave in less than 2 weeks to hunt mule deer in Sonora. Then, I’m taking my daughter and her boyfriend on a non-hunting trip to Kenya & Tanzania in February. 2 weeks on Masai-Mara and Tsavo combined with time on the coast enjoying the Indian Ocean. They’re going to finish up by climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro after I head back home.

Then in August, I’m taking my son to hunt in the Selous Game Reserve with Alan Vincent. 10-days for him and 16 for me since he has to come home early. Gonna be some great buffalo hunting on MA1/Madaba.

After that it’s whatever I might draw in a western state. Applying for some great sheep and elk tags with tons of points, so it’ll be interesting to see what I might draw.

After all that, I have 3 more African hunts booked across 2024 & 2025 in 3 different countries.

What is everyone else doing in 2023?

Last edited by CAelknuts; 12/31/22.
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
CAelknuts you have great plans! Hope they all work out. The Masai-Mara is wonderful especially during the big wildebeest migrations and the Selous is a special place to hunt for sure.

I'm hunting in Zimbabwe in the first week of March, doing a little tour of Victoria falls with my wife first and then on to some game viewing in Hwange National park. After that we will hunt an elephant bull just South of Hwange in a forest reserve where the elephants are overpopulated, damaging the valuable teak trees and are not very welcome by the farmers around there either. My first elephant hunt, so I booked the best, Buzz Charlton. It should be an adventure!

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by castnblast
CAelknuts you have great plans! Hope they all work out. The Masai-Mara is wonderful especially during the big wildebeest migrations and the Selous is a special place to hunt for sure.

I'm hunting in Zimbabwe in the first week of March, doing a little tour of Victoria falls with my wife first and then on to some game viewing in Hwange National park. After that we will hunt an elephant bull just South of Hwange in a forest reserve where the elephants are overpopulated, damaging the valuable teak trees and are not very welcome by the farmers around there either. My first elephant hunt, so I booked the best, Buzz Charlton. It should be an adventure!

You’re going to also have a wonderful hunt. Vic Falls is a special place. You’ll find that the elephants in western Zim are huge bodied bulls. I’ve shot old bulls on Matetsi 3 and Deka and each was an exceptionally large bodied bull. You’ll love it.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
First hunt in Africa. Going with Leon duPlessis. 10 day buffalo hunt in August this year. I am 68 and feel like a child at Christmas!

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Zambia with a bow for croc, hippo and buff. Late season in October, which is gonna make the buff with a bow interesting.

IC B2

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Tony, sounds like you’ll be hunting in Luangwa Valley. Which concession and PH will you be hunting with. Gonna be HOT!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Afraid I will be limited to Central Texas this year. But looking forward to 2026!
Kevin

I have "CDO". It is just like "OCD" except the letters are in alphabetical order LIKE THEY SHOULD BE!
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Namibia for leopard in July.

I've taken big toms in Ehi-Rovipuka and Omatendeka Conservancies so I thought I'd give the neighboring Ozondundu a shot.

Winchester rifles and Swarovski scopes.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Headed over next month. SA for a week then to Nam for three.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Early may in NW Zimbabwe for bull elephant with Lin Stanton/Mbalabala.

Going to be meeting with a few outfitters at SCI in Nashiville next month to discuss buffalo/leopard for 2025.

Brandon Gleason
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I will not be making the journey this year, my wife and I will be recovering from knee replacement surgery.

I am looking at 2024 now, chatting with different PH’s about hippo and croc hunts and or a leopard hunt.

I plan to take in the DSC convention in 2024 and visit in person with the PH’s that i am trading e mails with.

"Sorry don't get it done, Dude"
John Wayne 1959
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Eastern Cape, April 10-May 1 (includes travel time). Third time with Hotfire Safaris. Species list is a little up in the air as I have a budget for trophy fees in mind, and I have to fit as much as I can into that budget.

At the moment, I'm looking at barbary sheep, sable, common reedbuck, African lynx (caracal), common duiker. And there goes $10,000.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm thinking of a cow buffalo & eland in the Limpopo region of SA.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Nothing planned for 2023 but I will be in Dallas on Fri/Sat and may kick around something for 2024.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Can't remember. Not good with those African regions (all those names sound the same to me). Butch Coaton, my PH is handling the details. Coordinated our schedules for next year. We usually discuss what's next during our hunt and he arranges the rest.

Last edited by Tony_Soprano; 01/03/23.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I don't know where but whenever or if ever i make enough cash,I might do a double buff.An eland too and a sable.Sometimes I dream of doing another leopard hunt- liked reading Jim Corbett.Elephant seems over for me.I had a great ele hunt once in Moz..It's kinda fun not having any idea when (if ever)or where the next hunt will be-it's like a sweet mystery.Nothing compares to africa.

Last edited by swiftshot; 01/03/23.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
In July off to hunt Sitatunga with Charlie Harvey in Zambia and in August a hunt with Nick Bowker Safaris in the Eastern Cape.

2024 Medium Game hunting and fishing with Faro Safaris in Cameroun
2025 Medium Game - Bushbuck, Kobs... in Uganda
2026 Who knows

At least that is the plan. smile

Singleshot

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by Singleshot03
In July off to hunt Sitatunga with Charlie Harvey in Zambia and in August a hunt with Nick Bowker Safaris in the Eastern Cape.

2024 Medium Game hunting and fishing with Faro Safaris in Cameroun
2025 Medium Game - Bushbuck, Kobs... in Uganda
2026 Who knows

At least that is the plan. smile

Singleshot

You’ve got a great plan with interesting hunts.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Zambia for Bangweulu Black Lechwe & Tsesseebe, then Luangwa Valley for Buffalo & Cookson’s Wildebeest. 404 Jeffery & 338-06.

Last edited by surefire7; 01/09/23. Reason: Added text.
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by surefire7
Zambia for Bangweulu Black Lechwe & Tsesseebe, then Luangwa Valley for Buffalo & Cookson’s Wildebeest. 404 Jeffery & 338-06.

You’ve got a nice deal going with Andrew, seems like you’ve had a good run together.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Surefire7 - sounds like a great hunt and great rifle calibers. smile

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I would love to return to Africa after three previous trips. It becomes an obsession as “The Dark Continent” gets into your blood. But, there are other trips to consider. Therefore, come July 1, we will land in Maui for a week with two days hunting for Axis deer.
Make no mistake about it. I would so enjoy another trip to Africa. But I have promised my bride of nearly 52 years other trips to enjoy. So, for those that have not been to Africa I say go for it. MTG

Vena dura, ocyus occide, excusas non offer!
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Southwest Tanzania in august for me. It’s been 9 years since I went to Zim. I guess this is a 40th birthday present to myself.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
May I ask who you are hunting in Sonora with? On my bucket list.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Wife and I are headed to South Africa may 12 for 3 weeks. We will be hunting with Dinkwe safaris

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Surefire7, let me know if you need 404 Jeffery Ammo. I have some for sale and know it's been scarce.

I focus on unique and often hard to find brass
Email: [email protected]; [email protected]
Phone (call/text): (910) 803-1726
GB Listings: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?IncludeSellers=1200385
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Namibia
SA
Mozambique
Will be culling Buffalo
Have max points in AZ so maybe sheep hunt
Alaska for Dall’s if I get lucky

Last edited by RinB; 01/18/23.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Closest I get to anything African, is when occasionally I go down south into CA and have to pass thru Oakland...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by castnblast

Fortunate to have found a large bull near Hwange some years ago. They are very much like the large old Botswana bulls. You should have a great safari.

Since the import ban on eles, I’ve been focusing on tuskless. Will be back to Zim in July after a couple more. Getting into the herds always keeps it interesting.

Unless the M-70 460 G&A is ready in time, it’ll be the 404 Jeffery again. Happy with either.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Deer and hogs in both Alabama and Arkansas, elk in New Mexico, pheasant in Kansas.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
well I am 89 days away from the East Cape with Intaba Safaris for 10 days, going after Kudu, Sable and a Cow Buff, second trip will be a lot of fun

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Griz, black bear & moose in the Talkeetna Mts

Would love to hunt Africa but won't spend a penny there until I can bring all the meat home for consumption ....

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Eastern Cape of Africa April 22- may3rd then may 14-22 in Saskatchewan for bear with the recurve and then finish in Kansas for an archery rut hunt in nov! Busy year!

Roy

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I have a great outfitter in South Africa if anybody has been looking. My wife and I hunted with him this past summer and we had an absolute blast.

Planning to host a small raffle for a hunt package with him soon. 4 days/5 Nights for 2 hunters with a choice of packages. 1) Nyala or Waterbuck AND Impala or Blesbuck or 2) Warthog or Babboon AND Impala or Blesbuck AND Zebra or Blue Wildebeest to be split between the two hunters.

Thinking 1-in-300 chance @ $50 each. Includes just about everything including roundtrip airfare from major US airports to and from South Africa through United Airlines, taxidermy prep and shipment back to the states, pickup/dropoff at Polokwane Airport, Hunting Guides, Gun Rental if needed (we took bows), Lodging and Accommodations, Laundry Service and Beer (in moderation). Additional animals would be encouraged but at your own expense as well as final taxidermy once in the states and cash tips to the lodge staff (highly encouraged)

Can PM me if interested in more details. Just trying to gauge interest before I set it up.

Last edited by Chance615; 01/21/23. Reason: update

Life Member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member Safari Club International
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
"Saskatchewan for bear with the recurve" RTJS that is awesome smile

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Singleshot03
"Saskatchewan for bear with the recurve" RTJS that is awesome smile
This will be the 3rd one hopefully. Did it in 2020 with a longbow out of a lockon at 7yards and last year in Sask with my recurve from the ground(no blind). Got it all on video as well at a whopping 7 yards. Let me tell ya that is very very intense! Wish I knew how to put the pics and video on here.

Roy

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by muygrande1
May I ask who you are hunting in Sonora with? On my bucket list.

We hunted on Isla Tiburon, with Sonora Desert Trophy Outfitters. Our group of 4 shot three bucks. I didn’t shoot anything but am going back next year. Tiburon is a neat place with some interesting deer.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by CAelknuts
Originally Posted by surefire7

You’ve got a nice deal going with Andrew, seems like you’ve had a good run together.

Wow, I can’t believe I haven’t returned to this thread in this long time.

Yes, CAelknuts, I have had a good relationship with Andrew. He’s a great PH, and this will be my 6th safari with him. We have hunted a bit of Zambia together, and I hope to hunt/see more with him.

I also have my eye on a return to South Africa in the Drakensburg Mountains, and then on to Mozambique and Uganda. But first, I return to hunt the Luangwa Valley again with Andrew this summer.

E
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
E
Just returned from Cameroon, got Lord Derby, buffalo, Roan……
Was an awesome hunt/experience

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
congrats Eyedoc, a lot of wonderful trophies. Who did you hunt with?

E
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
E
JKO safaris, had excellent camps, concessions were great - lots of game, first class operation

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Eyedok,

Sounds like a tremendous safari. Congrats on some great animals.

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by eyedok
JKO safaris, had excellent camps, concessions were great - lots of game, first class operation

Congratulations! Was this in the Faro region? I’m not familiar with JKO, so curious and may PM you. I’m hunting with Mayo Oldiri in Feb of ‘24 so very interested in any advice you could share.

E
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
E
Mayo Oldiri has several concessions, but one was across the river from where we hunted, hardest but most rewarding hunt, alot of poaching going on, hopefully it will remain as is- incredible unique safari, hard to put into words what an incredible hunt it was

E
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
E
Advice-be ready to shoot quick, opportunities are few, and you may have a shot window of a split second, also be in shape, our unit had alot of big hills, have proper clothing for extreme heat, a stiff sole in your boot is very helpful w the millions of worm casings

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (1_deuce, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 240NMC, 68 invisible), 2,368 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,654
Posts18,455,554
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.