Print Thread
Hop To
D
dassa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
I started my pup off with all the suggestions for conditioning him to gunfire, and he was doing really well. At about 4 1/2 months I came home(I drive a truck so I'm only home on the weekends), and when I started to feed him, he ran to his kennel and hid out. I asked my wife when he started doing that and she told me that he'd been freaking out since the fourth of July. I had to start over.

What I did was only make sharp noises when we were doing retrieving work. This dog lives to carry stuff, so he was always happy then. At first, I would just clap softly as he was bringing the bumper back. Gradually, he would tolerate louder and louder noises, but he was always a little nervous.

But, over time, he was getting better. Yesterday out hunting, he was doing well enough that when other groups shot, he would stop and look in that direction to look for a bird to fall so he could retrieve it.

That's a long background to get to explaining last night. When the neighbors started the fireworks at midnight, he jumped up in my lap and was obviously scared. So, I took him to the staircase where we first started his training, and I tossed the dummy down the stairs. The first few times he balked, and I had to give him a little shove. But after a bit, his desire to retrieve overcame his nervousness, and he seems to be doing all right. He's laying on the floor at my feet right now but we'll have to see how he does next time I can get him on birds. I think he'll be okay.

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Pretty sure you are on the right path. Bang pots and make noise in the house while ignoring him as if it was nothing unusual. Last night with the fireworks, both of mine were barking and growling at the noise. "Who is in my yard, making all the ruckus?"

laissez les bons temps rouler
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Fireworks and gunfire have their own distinctive sounds so I suspect you will not have problems. I've had more than one dog that did not care for fireworks but had no issues with shotgun reports in the field or even sitting in a blind.

Some dogs are sensitive to thunder also but have no issues with a shotgun going off. Rifles and pistols can be a problem like fireworks or thunder so I am always cautious if using one with the dogs near.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (10gaugemag, 1337Fungi, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 53 invisible), 2,361 guests, and 1,175 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,326
Posts18,468,495
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.