Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 14 15
J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
Let's here your 2023 goals, and feel free to update daily with your progress. Let's make 2023 a healthy one!

For me:

My main priority is a backpack mule deer hunt. I want to peak around mid August for bow and early rifle in September. I will again be using the Performance First rucking program, with a few different wrinkles. I used it in 2022 for an elk hunt, ended up packing three bulls off the mountain and performed pretty well over 15 or 17 days of hunting. This year I plan to cut a few pounds too.

1/1/23 workout: I am in the downhill side of covid. Was a pretty straight forward cold (stuffy, slight cough, no fever). So my workout today is letting my immune system do its thing.

But when I get back up to speed on Tuesday, I will start doing some speed work and strength training.

Last edited by Jackson_Handy; 01/01/23.
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Started 2023 with:

Trap Bar Deadlifts 345#s for 2 sets of 5 after 3 warmup sets

T-Bar Rows 2-45’s for 2 sets of 8

Goblet Squats 100# dumbbell for 2 sets of 8

Incline Dumbbell Press 55’s for 2 sets of 8

Seated Dumbbell Curls 37.5’s supinated 2 sets of 8

Tricep Pushdowns 2 sets of 8

TRX rollouts for 2 sets of 8

Goals have changed over the last 35 years. More listening to the body. Avoid injury. Live to lift another day if necessary. Keep the posterior chain strong to keep the lower back bulletproofed. “Own” the weight before moving up

Happy New Year

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
5 mile loop around the neighborhood.

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm upping my mileage goal by a whopping one mile, 2023 miles for this year. laugh I've been using a similar "routine" for about decade and plan on continuing (God willing) with it. I hike daily on our local single tracks around here (we've been blessed with a couple of hundred miles single track trails all near town)- 3-5 miles/day and usually one day in the 8-10 mile range. Interspersed throughout the year are several multi-day backpacking trips (Winter included).

For strength training I've been following a modified Wendler 5/3/1 program where I'm lifting twice a week; I combine squats/bench one day and deadlifts/overhead press the other; mix in pull/chin-ups, lunges, dips, core, etc with each.

I have a Dall hunt in the Brooks Range in early August, so will move my weighted hiking up a couple of months earlier than normal. Typically I'll hike with weight three times a week (and 3-4 days w/o), starting at 30 lbs, moving to 45 and then to 60 lbs (probably closer to 10 lbs more than that with the weight of the pack, water, etc). I've found training with no more than 60 lbs of sand on my back cuts down on injuries and have never felt overly handicapped when called to haul 100 lb loads.

Good luck to everyone with the new year!

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
looking for 1100 plus miles again this year, have 7 in already. Really hoping for a couple of good elk hunts this year. Will also work more on upper body strength. Hiking right now.

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by mtwarden
I'm upping my mileage goal by a whopping one mile, 2023 miles for this year. laugh I've been using a similar "routine" for about decade and plan on continuing (God willing) with it. I hike daily on our local single tracks around here (we've been blessed with a couple of hundred miles single track trails all near town)- 3-5 miles/day and usually one day in the 8-10 mile range. Interspersed throughout the year are several multi-day backpacking trips (Winter included).

For strength training I've been following a modified Wendler 5/3/1 program where I'm lifting twice a week; I combine squats/bench one day and deadlifts/overhead press the other; mix in pull/chin-ups, lunges, dips, core, etc with each.

I have a Dall hunt in the Brooks Range in early August, so will move my weighted hiking up a couple of months earlier than normal. Typically I'll hike with weight three times a week (and 3-4 days w/o), starting at 30 lbs, moving to 45 and then to 60 lbs (probably closer to 10 lbs more than that with the weight of the pack, water, etc). I've found training with no more than 60 lbs of sand on my back cuts down on injuries and have never felt overly handicapped when called to haul 100 lb loads.

Good luck to everyone with the new year!

Gotta be pretty exciting to prepare for a dall hunt! Good luck.

Ever do weighted sled pulls? Not sprinting, but just steady pace walking. I made a sled out of a harness from Amazon and a truck tire. I add bumper plates on the tire to up the resistance. It's a primary exercise in that rucking program, and I think it really works. Might be worth a try

Last edited by Jackson_Handy; 01/02/23.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Most definitely! smile

I haven't, but do something somewhat similar during the winter (and this past hunting season getting my elk out!) pulling a pulk. It definitely works the legs really well- especially uphill! It's nice going winter camping with my wife as she only has to carry a daypack, everything else in the pulk.

[Linked Image from imgur.com]

[Linked Image from imgur.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Goal is very modest:

Reach Timed Simple (Kettlebell workout/standard): 100 one handed swings in 5 mins; rest 1 min; 10 Turkish getups in 10 mins; all with 32kg Kettlebell

I reserve the right to add to this once I reach this goal! wink I generally am way to ambitious with my goal setting and then fail.

Got 100 swings in today with my 20kg bell, but tweaked something in my back, so stopped after 2 TGUs. Doing a 30day pushup challenge and got my 9 sets in. Walked the pooch for 1.5mi.

I've been a sack of poop for way to long. Easing back into setting up a good (for me) routine.

J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
Took it fairly easy in the gym since I'm still kinda stuffy.

Sled drags, walking lunges, leg press, 25min 3mph rucking on the treadmill w/ 25lb pack.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Rear leg elevated Bulgarian Split Squats

Decline Dumbbell Bench

Romanian Deadlifts

Close Grip Pull-Downs

Fat Barbell Curls

Tricep X Presses

TRX rollouts

The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rcamuglia

I'd pay like $40 for a video of Flave doing that.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kingston

Don’t count on it.
Only those familiar with reverse kneeling are capable

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
Chest day, flat bench press, incline dumbbell bench press, Flys. Push-ups.

Ran on the treadmill at a light pace for 25mins.

Still trying to kick the last remnants of illness

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Do we have to start working out already? It's only Jan 4th !!! Plenty of time left in the year to get into sheep shape. grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Each of the last two days:

100 2H swings - 20kg
10 TGU - 20kg
30min walk

9 sets of pushups

Working to establish a new habit...

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I ended 2022 with 849 miles ran, 21,580 push ups, 5435 pull ups, 8525 sit ups, and 12,300yards in the pool (but I started again end of Nov.). Goals are about the same this year; like to break 1000 miles running, but need to keep focusing on core muscles and weight training as well. Swam competitively as a kid, and am liking how it's feeling today. I'll definitely be adding more time in the pool this year.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by MuskegMan
Do we have to start working out already? It's only Jan 4th !!! Plenty of time left in the year to get into sheep shape. grin

That's the right mindset!!! I think cwh2 always starts around mid-July.

Plus, they gym is always crowded during January, New Years resolutioners. By March they'll all be gone.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Don’t count on it.

Damn, do you have to bring sex into everything?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole

Don’t count on it.

Damn, do you have to bring sex into everything?

I would puss-out on the test too if this was my level of understanding

😉

Wide Grip Pull Downs

Belt Squats

Incline Push-Ups

Rack Scrape Barbell Presses Supersetted with Dead Stop Lateral Raises

Hammer Curls

Close-Grip Bench Press

TRX Rollouts

15 minute stretching routine

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
441 members (160user, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 300jimmy, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 48 invisible), 2,161 guests, and 929 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,595
Posts18,398,070
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.