Print Thread
Hop To
M
mart Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
It has been over 20 years since I killed a goose. Goose hunting in my area of Alaska was slim pickings. Lots of geese but nearly all had left the state by the time moose season was over. So I didn't get to hunt them much and the few times I did it was not fruitful.

Moved back down to the northwest in September. My step brother's ranch is right on a goose flyway now. Goose flights seem to have changed. I went by those fields for 14 years when I was trapping out in that area and rarely saw geese there. Now it seems that whole area is a goose mecca.

I didn't have any decoys at mom's house, so I bought a few older shells from a local guy on FB marketplace. Shells were in decent shape but no stakes. And of course this morning it was blowing just hard enough they wouldn't stay in place. So it was going to have to be pass shooting. My brother has a long stack of straw bales with tarps on them. One row is a few bales longer than the others so the tarp forms a canopy on that end. Perfect for hiding under waiting on geese.

I didn't wait long when a small group came over. They were angled over the long straw pile giving me just one shot at the trailing bird. One round of Heavy Bismuth 2's crumpled it. Another flight came over but in my enthusiasm I bumped the safety just enough to lock up the trigger. The perils of a lefty shooting an Ithaca with a right handed safety. I'm ordering a left handed safety today. Oh well. I'll hit it again tomorrow.

The Ithaca is a 1938 37S, improved cylinder. Not the perfect goose gun I suppose but it sure smote that goose. And it was the only non tox ammo I could find in my stash since we moved and haven't unpacked everything yet. I do have a sunburst recoil pad for it. Just need to dig it out along with my jig and fit the pad.

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Hey that's spectacular...congrats!

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Nice start. Good luck!

Molon Labe
M
mart Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Yesterday there were thousands of geese between the field I hunted and the fields across the road. This morning nothing. Not a goose anywhere.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cool Beans! cool cool

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (1234, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 02bfishn, 59 invisible), 2,507 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,224
Posts18,466,531
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.